Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance

Started by RidgeTop, Sep 30, 2015, 06:29:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance (Read 193,841 times)

SM

SM

7 @ 22 pages, but if the run is 12 issues, and this is volume 1, I'd guess this would be the first 6 issues, plus covers and other extra stuff.

Ultramorph

Just pre-ordered Vol 1 and picked up issue #2 on digital. Initial thoughts
Spoiler
It was another good issue. I'm liking the dynamic between Zula and the Davises, and Tristan continues to kill it on art. The use of shadows in this issue was great. It really looks like an Alien movie.

One question, which I'm sure will get addressed as this goes on. That was one of Tristan's new "praetorians," right? Or was that an immature queen? Either way, I can tell we're going to get some cool alien morphology in this series.
[close]

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on May 25, 2016, 08:15:57 AM7 @ 22 pages, but if the run is 12 issues, and this is volume 1, I'd guess this would be the first 6 issues, plus covers and other extra stuff.

Be interesting to see what (if any) additional stuff might be in there. If there's anything exciting I might have to get a copy despite having the singles.

SM

SM

Don't they normally include sketches and stuff like that?

XenoZipper

Just finished reading #2. It was just ok for me. Sucks to have to wait another month to continue. I miss when comics were more weekly because I forget certain things by the time the next issue comes out these days from the long waits as I read them on day 1 release. I do feel this story should be a tv series instead. It already has that cinematic feel to it so it could easily translate into one of those 45 min 1 episode per week type shows.

Spoiler
It kind of bothers me a little that the Alien in this issue for being what it was just seemed like it was an annoyance to the others & easily taken out. Are they ever going to be perceived as a threat again or just continue being fodder that's easily taken out by people like it seems they are these days? There could be stuff & references I'm not picking up on though because I've never beaten Isolation. Love the game but I really suck at it so I've barely made it anywhere in the game. Kinda disappointing as I want to progress & beat but I can't.
[close]

426Buddy

Quote from: SM on May 25, 2016, 10:03:03 PM
Don't they normally include sketches and stuff like that?

Only sometimes, I have a number of tpb that don't have any cover art or sketches.

SM

SM

Quote from: XenoZipper on May 25, 2016, 10:30:28 PM
Just finished reading #2. It was just ok for me. Sucks to have to wait another month to continue. I miss when comics were more weekly because I forget certain things by the time the next issue comes out these days from the long waits as I read them on day 1 release. I do feel this story should be a tv series instead. It already has that cinematic feel to it so it could easily translate into one of those 45 min 1 episode per week type shows.

Spoiler
It kind of bothers me a little that the Alien in this issue for being what it was just seemed like it was an annoyance to the others & easily taken out. Are they ever going to be perceived as a threat again or just continue being fodder that's easily taken out by people like it seems they are these days? There could be stuff & references I'm not picking up on though because I've never beaten Isolation. Love the game but I really suck at it so I've barely made it anywhere in the game. Kinda disappointing as I want to progress & beat but I can't.
[close]

Spoiler
They were a threat in terms of them killing everyone on the Europa and LV-44-40.  And they don't have much in terms of defence against automatic gunfire.
[close]

XenoZipper

Quote from: SM on May 25, 2016, 11:34:03 PM
Spoiler
They were a threat in terms of them killing everyone on the Europa and LV-44-40.  And they don't have much in terms of defence against automatic gunfire.
[close]

Spoiler
Yea I suppose that's true too. I guess it was just them showing up to the ship & the aliens have already overrun it & how cool & calm Zula & the androids were in disposing of it that bugged me. I certainly don't hate the story at all, just little small things like that get me. I miss the Alien being an actual threat rather than just being treated like an annoying bug. I'm a super nerd, what can I say? I nitpick :P
[close]

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: XenoZipper on May 26, 2016, 01:07:37 AM

Spoiler
Yea I suppose that's true too. I guess it was just them showing up to the ship & the aliens have already overrun it & how cool & calm Zula & the androids were in disposing of it that bugged me. I certainly don't hate the story at all, just little small things like that get me. I miss the Alien being an actual threat rather than just being treated like an annoying bug. I'm a super nerd, what can I say? I nitpick :P
[close]

Spoiler
I dunno, how was Zula cool & calm? She see's the alien for the first time and she panics. She backs up and trips over the floor breaking here helmet and then proceeds to pass out.

From what I gathered in the issue the Androids were already aware of what to expect on the Europa before the mission started so they were ready for the aliens. Even then half of them were destroyed.
[close]

XenoZipper

Quote from: 420Buddy on May 26, 2016, 02:49:36 PM
Quote from: XenoZipper on May 26, 2016, 01:07:37 AM

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
I dunno, how was Zula cool & calm? She see's the alien for the first time and she panics. She backs up and trips over the floor breaking here helmet and then proceeds to pass out.

From what I gathered in the issue the Androids were already aware of what to expect on the Europa before the mission started so they were ready for the aliens. Even then half of them were destroyed.
[close]

Spoiler
Like I said, just being nitpicky. She didn't come off as all that surprised to me so I didn't see that scene as being panicked. I don't remember her passing out. I'll just refrain from saying my opinions on the comics from here on out then & let you guys do all the talking about it with each other.
[close]

426Buddy

Wasn't trying to bully you or anything, just wanted to discuss your thoughts on the events of the comic, which seemed inconsistent with what I read.  :(

Spoiler
Zula definitely panics and in her panic she started to backpedal and trips breaking her mask, she passes out from lack of oxygen and doesnt wake up again until the infestation has been cleared.
[close]

XenoZipper

Quote from: 420Buddy on May 26, 2016, 04:42:19 PM
Wasn't trying to bully you or anything, just wanted to discuss your thoughts on the events of the comic, which seemed inconsistent with what I read.  :(

Spoiler
Zula definitely panics and in her panic she started to backpedal and trips breaking her mask, she passes out from lack of oxygen and doesnt wake up again until the infestation has been cleared.
[close]

Spoiler
Either that or we're not talking about the same part because she's not even wearing a suit or a helmet in the version I read. Page 15 I believe. If this site would allow me to upload Jpeg I would post it but it won't allow me to. But yea it's the part near the end when she tosses that grenade into the nest, she's not wearing any suit of any kind in the version I read, just normal fatigues.
[close]

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: XenoZipper on May 26, 2016, 05:18:28 PM
Quote from: 420Buddy on May 26, 2016, 04:42:19 PM

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
Either that or we're not talking about the same part because she's not even wearing a suit or a helmet in the version I read. Page 15 I believe. If this site would allow me to upload Jpeg I would post it but it won't allow me to. But yea it's the part near the end when she tosses that grenade into the nest, she's not wearing any suit of any kind in the version I read, just normal fatigues.
[close]

I think you guys may have issue 1 and 2 mixed up..

XenoZipper

That's possible as well, I'm certainly referring to issue 2 or at least I hope unless I got a messed up copy of it.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Oh that makes sense, I thought you were referring to the events of the first issue, I haven't read the second.

Spoiler
I havent read the second issue, so I assume they show up to another spaceship not the europa and dispose of an infestation there as well, like in the first issue?
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed