James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy

Started by Darkoo, Jul 18, 2007, 04:12:35 PM

Author
James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy (Read 716,954 times)

predxeno

predxeno

Here's an video interview with James Cameron that I saw awhile back.  I didn't think to put it here, but it does have some new scenes from the Extended Edition like parts of the Alternate Opening.

http://www.bestbuyon.com/computer-in-your-hand/avatar-exclusive

Keg

Keg

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 15, 2010, 11:58:58 PM
Yeah, I already corrected myself on that topic quite a few posts back.  RDA=evil.

predxeno

predxeno

Your pic's link is broken.

Keg

Keg

sorted

Valaquen

Valaquen

Well, there are human heroes, altruistic ones too, but the focus is really on the false flag scheming company, ala WY. It's funny, because some criticised Avatar as saying that the aliens needed humans [specifically Jake] to save them, rather than being self-sufficient. I'm sure the same criticism was levelled at Avatar's Earth-bound parallels; the white male saves the poor indigenous peoples shtick. But either way, the focus wasn't entirely on characterisation, but on, effects aside, simple storytelling. It was in some respects a shot in the foot, because simple storytelling doesn't work for more serious-minded sci-fi fans, but the kids of today will grow up to love it, y'know, as they did with Star Wars, which was lambasted by "serious critics" for bringing spectacle and simplistic storytelling back to the screen, [of course, Star Wars was helped by being, really, one of the first of its kind. Avatar, fun as it is, is absolutely contrived in comparison].

Cellien

Cellien

I recently got this movie in stereoscopic 3D (not anaglyph, but the HD 3D real deal) .  Quite a site to behold if you have the equipment at home to view it.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

You're referring to Real D?

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Cellien on Nov 16, 2010, 03:50:39 AM
Quite a site to behold if you have the equipment at home to view it.
Link?

Cellien

Cellien

Link to?

@Doom:  Naw, I was meaning it's the "real deal", as in not some lame conversion job by someone on the interwebs.  The actual 3D Blu-Ray is out there now for people that buy some new Blu-Ray player bundle.

You're going to need a 3D-Ready 120hz display, active shutter glasses, and either a PC equipped w/ Nvidia 3D Vision (what I have) or a new 3D BD player (including the PS3) to watch it.

chupacabras acheronsis

im surprised you could sit for three hours with those stupid glasses. i couldn't watch for 15 mins before getting a headache.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

So it's not like Journey to the Centre of the Earth 3D? Coz that was pretty basic, if you've seen the BD.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Cellien on Nov 16, 2010, 04:14:20 AM
Link to?
I was just being a Grammar Nazi smartass.  :D

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Nov 16, 2010, 04:16:40 AM
im surprised you could sit for three hours with those stupid glasses. i couldn't watch for 15 mins before getting a headache.

My brother once had fun with them and saw Alice in Wonderland wearing the glasses upside-down.  Apparently, that makes the background stand out in the foreground and puts the characters in a background like perspective.

Cellien

Cellien

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Nov 16, 2010, 04:18:27 AM
Quote from: Cellien on Nov 16, 2010, 04:14:20 AM
Link to?
I was just being a Grammar Nazi smartass.  :D

Ah, good catch. :P

Quote from: DoomRulz on Nov 16, 2010, 04:17:00 AM
So it's not like Journey to the Centre of the Earth 3D? Coz that was pretty basic, if you've seen the BD.

Naw, that is colored lenses right?  This is very similar to what they use at the theater, although a different tech.  What these are doing is using a LCD lens to refresh at 120hz in sync with a 3D-Ready display. 

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Nov 16, 2010, 04:16:40 AM

I haven't sat for 3 hrs with the movie yet, but I have sat for that long playing a game in 3D.  Doesn't hurt my eyes.  In fact, staring at my puny 22 inch "2d" LCD monitor for work does much worse.

predxeno

predxeno

There's a contest to win one of the Avatar Extended Collector's Edition for Blu-Ray or DVD here:

http://www.ugo.com/

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed