Dark Horse Fire and Stone (Prometheus/Aliens/AvP/Predator/Omega): All Reviews

Started by happypred, Sep 09, 2014, 07:43:43 AM

Author
Dark Horse Fire and Stone (Prometheus/Aliens/AvP/Predator/Omega): All Reviews (Read 135,093 times)

RidgeTop

Quote from: DarthJoker45 on Feb 11, 2015, 07:35:37 PM
Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 11, 2015, 07:05:57 PM
So since I haven't read the comic and likely won't be picking it up.. Just a few spoiler questions.

Spoiler
Is there any relationship established between the Engineers and the Predators mentioned in passing dialogue?

Does Elden die? If so, how does he happen to do so?

Are the Predators naturally evolved or creations or is this never mentioned?
[close]

Spoiler

There is no relationship established between the Engineers or Predators.

Elden does indeed die. He sacrifices himself so Angela, Galgo, and Ahab can escape. He fuses himself with the "mountain" which is actually the Deacon. Now, before you judge the concept, there is nothing outlandish like a Deacon Kaiju. The Deacon has just somehow grown around the Prometheus ship. Somehow, the black goo managed to help evolve the creature. It is never explained how though.

The Predator race origins are not even mentioned.
[close]

Personally I thought this was alluding to the Predator race origins:

Spoiler
[close]

RakaiThwei

Yeah but Elden at this point was losing his mind as he was going through his metamorphosis. I don't think his quotations there are something really worth much if anything at all considering what he was going through. You know, delusions of an addled mind.

CeejSays

Quote from: DarthJoker45 on Feb 11, 2015, 05:15:23 PM
Yeah, I read that interview. It was really neat to see her insight into the whole thing. When will your review be up for Omega? Also, what was your general consensus on it?

Review is now up - http://bigcomicpage.com/2015/02/11/review-prometheus-fire-and-stone-omega-dark-horse-comics/

As a finale, I was pretty pleased with it.  Tied everything together, left things open for future writers to move on with it down the line.  Maybe felt a little rushed in places (which is something I know Kelly thought herself, but her hands were kind of tied about it), but ultimately a great conclusion to a crossover I've thoroughly enjoyed.  Well, aside from the AvP arc.

CONKERSBADFURDAY

http://wethenerdy.com/prometheus-fire-and-stone-omega-review/

I too enjoyed the comic, though I can see why others might not. It's one of THOSE! Artwork was as fantastic as ever, and the writing was excellent. Comic needed a few more pages to really get things right, but it still managed to do a lot with what it had.

marrerom

Quote from: Quarax on Feb 11, 2015, 07:55:27 PM
Regarding constructs.

Spoiler

[close]

I'm glad they explained what he is.  I had written off this series as stupid nonsense when I first heard there was a mutating android but now i'll be giving it another shot.  Its basically like the skin jobs from Blade Runner. Same concept of having bio engineered beings.

predxeno

I liked how everything was wrapped together in the final arc, but...

Spoiler
I wish there was a more solid ending, I don't like how all the new Alien stories are now open to interpretation or whatever. ???
[close]

happypred

Quote from: DarthJoker45 on Feb 11, 2015, 08:49:27 PM
Regarding Elden:
Spoiler
He is part organic and part machine. In other words, he has organic tissue over his mechanical parts. It isn't exactly like the synthetics because they had white blood with cables which seemed like tissue. What I think happened was that the black substance mutated the organic material to take over the rest of Elden's being causing his machine parts to malfunction. In the Prometheus book, he was bleeding blood.
[close]

Wait...so he's essentially Arnold in Terminator? I was expecting him to be a bit more organic than that. The organic portion of Arnold is purely cosmetic.

Vrastal

Omega wasnt bad, i found the end to be very lacking though... and quite pointless

Spoiler
they didnt even make it to the ship, nothing about the deacon.  and then made a big deal about getting the ship and going into the mountain only to have to go back out. It felt cheap.

The ALiens were weird and mutated and there was no explantion about that, i found it a bit silly and stupid the queen got too big fo the ship and essential crushed/fused with it
[close]

DarthJoker45

DarthJoker45

Quote from: happypred on Feb 12, 2015, 02:55:41 AM
Regarding Elden:
Spoiler
He is part organic and part machine. In other words, he has organic tissue over his mechanical parts. It isn't exactly like the synthetics because they had white blood with cables which seemed like tissue. What I think happened was that the black substance mutated the organic material to take over the rest of Elden's being causing his machine parts to malfunction. In the Prometheus book, he was bleeding blood.
[close]

Wait...so he's essentially Arnold in Terminator? I was expecting him to be a bit more organic than that. The organic portion of Arnold is purely cosmetic.

Spoiler
I mean real organic tissue. I am not referring to fake cosmetic tissue like the Terminators. In other words, Elden has real flesh and blood fused with the machinery.
[close]

RakaiThwei

But wouldn't that...

Spoiler
Make Elden a cyborg? You know considering by definition a cyborg is a combination of organic and technological parts.
[close]

happypred

Quote from: DarthJoker45 on Feb 12, 2015, 04:02:31 AM
Quote from: happypred on Feb 12, 2015, 02:55:41 AM
Regarding Elden:
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
I mean real organic tissue. I am not referring to fake cosmetic tissue like the Terminators. In other words, Elden has real flesh and blood fused with the machinery.
[close]

Terminators have real living flesh...but it's purely for appearance

predxeno

Quote from: Nazrel on Feb 12, 2015, 03:34:04 AM
Omega wasnt bad, i found the end to be very lacking though... and quite pointless

Spoiler
they didnt even make it to the ship, nothing about the deacon.  and then made a big deal about getting the ship and going into the mountain only to have to go back out. It felt cheap.

The ALiens were weird and mutated and there was no explantion about that, i found it a bit silly and stupid the queen got too big fo the ship and essential crushed/fused with it
[close]

Spoiler
I also wondered about the Aliens, they were smaller and they were hurt by acid when Ahab threw it on.  Your point about the ending is pretty much the same as my point; more or less it's like, "Elden's dead and we're still trapped on the planet, but despite the fact that we're back where we were at the beginning of the story, it really is a moral victory for us because 'We're still alive.'"  I get that the story is meant to be more philosophical but I think Fire and Stone is more abstract than concrete compared to its predecessors (even TWW). :-\
[close]

Vrastal

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 12, 2015, 07:45:58 AM
Quote from: Nazrel on Feb 12, 2015, 03:34:04 AM

Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
I also wondered about the Aliens, they were smaller and they were hurt by acid when Ahab threw it on.  Your point about the ending is pretty much the same as my point; more or less it's like, "Elden's dead and we're still trapped on the planet, but despite the fact that we're back where we were at the beginning of the story, it really is a moral victory for us because 'We're still alive.'"  I get that the story is meant to be more philosophical but I think Fire and Stone is more abstract than concrete compared to its predecessors (even TWW). :-\
[close]

exactly, i felt like we didnt get any real answers from this at all. it didnt feel smooth story wise either

Corporal Hicks

Goddamn it, I should know better than to open spoiler tags. My copy isn't in at my local yet.

Glad to hear the positive reactions. I'll do a complete review of the series when I get Omega.

happypred

Why I fell in love with Aliens vs. Predator back in the 90's:

1. The two species are incredibly lethal and utterly terrifying to encounter. Encountering either would be scary, pants-shittingly so

2. Witnessing the primal carnage of a violent encounter between these two species is supposed to be a tense, thrilling experience. The predator is more human-like but he's still a bloodthirsty, murdering son of a bitch obsessed with dominating the scariest monsters to be found in the galaxy (be they xenomorphs or other alien creatures).

I think tension is really important. Predators are highly dangerous to xenomorphs but they are also highly vulnerable to xenomorphs. I think one of the reasons the predators do so well in AvP Prey is that many of the battles take place in the open. The compound on Ryushi isn't nearly half as cramped and labyrinthine as the settlement on LV-426.

In a cover-rich/cramped environment, a xenomorph would be very deadly prey. In this environment, a predator would have to rely on his wits and experience. Only highly skilled predators would be able to track and outmaneuvre xenomorphs in an environment of this sort.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed