Legendary Encounters - An ALIEN Deck-Building Game

Started by Mr. Domino, Oct 09, 2013, 02:49:39 PM

Author
Legendary Encounters - An ALIEN Deck-Building Game (Read 75,990 times)

Corporal Hicks

The add-ons like the Agendas or the Alien deck are things you probably want to wait until you have a good amount of people at the table to really play. I'm glad you gave it a go though!

XenoZipper

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 28, 2016, 10:34:47 AM
The add-ons like the Agendas or the Alien deck are things you probably want to wait until you have a good amount of people at the table to really play. I'm glad you gave it a go though!

Completely agree & I've kept the Good/Bad Agendas, the Secrets Revealed & the Alien Player deck away from me for the time being & haven't incorporated them into the game yet though I am looking forward to adding the Alien deck in soon haha. It's been a lot of fun though, not as intimidating when you finally find a video playthrough on youtube with someone explaining it for super noobs at card games like me haha Now I feel a little silly I took so long to get around to playing it. Kinda wish I bought Predator now when I had the chance haha I still might if the store here still has it. There's not much for Alien/Predator fans in my area so it's not like I have much competition to acquire haha What I do need to invest in though is individual card holders. I really don't want any damage to my cards from constant shuffling n such.

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: XenoZipper on Mar 28, 2016, 03:10:22 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 28, 2016, 10:34:47 AM

Completely agree & I've kept the Good/Bad Agendas, the Secrets Revealed & the Alien Player deck away from me for the time being & haven't incorporated them into the game yet though I am looking forward to adding the Alien deck in soon haha. It's been a lot of fun though, not as intimidating when you finally find a video playthrough on youtube with someone explaining it for super noobs at card games like me haha Now I feel a little silly I took so long to get around to playing it. Kinda wish I bought Predator now when I had the chance haha I still might if the store here still has it. There's not much for Alien/Predator fans in my area so it's not like I have much competition to acquire haha What I do need to invest in though is individual card holders. I really don't want any damage to my cards from constant shuffling n such.
Pick up some sleeves online like Amazon or at a local gaming shop. Ultra Pros are meant for Magic the Gathering cards but they are a perfect fit for Legendary. And color coded for your organizational needs.

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

I unfortunately don't have proper means for online buying. I don't have a credit card or anything that so it would have to be local which causes another problem. I live in an extremely small town. I was surprised that the store I got the game from even had it to begin with. Maybe I might be able to get sleeves from them but I'd have to get them ordered in & probably cost me more that way (it's a local store not chain so he charges more for ordering things in for you). My best bet is to travel an hour & 45mins to the next town over which is also a problem as I don't drive so it's not like I can hop over anytime. It sucks living in a super small town. I come from Vancouver originally which is not small in the slightest & I had everything awesome at my fingertips but then I had to move to where I am now & it's been downhill on my collecting ever since. I'm one of those guys that prefers going into a store & not knowing what I'll find. Buying online just makes it too easy for me to blow every penny I got. To put it bluntly, the biggest thing the town I live in now has going for it is Walmart if that says anything. We have a local theater, no chains like a Famous Players or Cineplex. I need to move out & get back into the big city again but it got way too costly in Vancouver. Couldn't live & collect without a job that paid big bucks which I've never had in my life yet.

With that said though, I do really like the idea of those Ultra Pro's being color coded sleeves haha I'm definitely the kind of person who would use a different color for each deck, each movie type thing. I used to keep all my Aliens/Predator comics alphabetical but now I keep them in order of when they came out so you know I'm not one day reading a story from 92 then the next one I pull out is from 98 or something like that. I want to keep them in proper year order. Of course I still keep Alien & Predator separate in the major alphabet order but each comic in the series is done by release year of Issue 1.

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: XenoZipper on Mar 29, 2016, 02:48:55 AM
I unfortunately don't have proper means for online buying. I don't have a credit card or anything that so it would have to be local which causes another problem. I live in an extremely small town. I was surprised that the store I got the game from even had it to begin with. Maybe I might be able to get sleeves from them but I'd have to get them ordered in & probably cost me more that way (it's a local store not chain so he charges more for ordering things in for you). My best bet is to travel an hour & 45mins to the next town over which is also a problem as I don't drive so it's not like I can hop over anytime. It sucks living in a super small town. I come from Vancouver originally which is not small in the slightest & I had everything awesome at my fingertips but then I had to move to where I am now & it's been downhill on my collecting ever since. I'm one of those guys that prefers going into a store & not knowing what I'll find. Buying online just makes it too easy for me to blow every penny I got. To put it bluntly, the biggest thing the town I live in now has going for it is Walmart if that says anything. We have a local theater, no chains like a Famous Players or Cineplex. I need to move out & get back into the big city again but it got way too costly in Vancouver. Couldn't live & collect without a job that paid big bucks which I've never had in my life yet.

With that said though, I do really like the idea of those Ultra Pro's being color coded sleeves haha I'm definitely the kind of person who would use a different color for each deck, each movie type thing. I used to keep all my Aliens/Predator comics alphabetical but now I keep them in order of when they came out so you know I'm not one day reading a story from 92 then the next one I pull out is from 98 or something like that. I want to keep them in proper year order. Of course I still keep Alien & Predator separate in the major alphabet order but each comic in the series is done by release year of Issue 1.
I understand. I grew up in a small town that everything interesting was at least 20 mins away. Now I live in a small city outside a larger one so everything is 5 mins down the road including Toys R Us, Walmart, the movies and plenty of gas stations so currently my wife and I are set lol. However, we do want to move and so I would have to do the longer drive again. Ironically, our family and friends and church we attend are farther away because of the initial move.

I love going into a store and looking around for cool stuff. Did that at a toy show a couple weekends back and I found several funko figures I wanted and the NECA Warrior Predator from Series 6 that I had been looking for and got for a great price!

Yeah I bought over 400 sleeves to color code the Legendary game and it's super nice, both to reorganize after play and during. It was quite a bit to sleeve it but worth it in the end. As long as you don't pay more than $7-$8 per 100 sleeves, you aren't getting taken to the cleaners by your local. I'm all for supporting local small businesses but not when they unreasonably overcharge.

XenoZipper

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Mar 29, 2016, 03:23:23 AM
I understand. I grew up in a small town that everything interesting was at least 20 mins away. Now I live in a small city outside a larger one so everything is 5 mins down the road including Toys R Us, Walmart, the movies and plenty of gas stations so currently my wife and I are set lol. However, we do want to move and so I would have to do the longer drive again. Ironically, our family and friends and church we attend are farther away because of the initial move.

I love going into a store and looking around for cool stuff. Did that at a toy show a couple weekends back and I found several funko figures I wanted and the NECA Warrior Predator from Series 6 that I had been looking for and got for a great price!

Yeah I bought over 400 sleeves to color code the Legendary game and it's super nice, both to reorganize after play and during. It was quite a bit to sleeve it but worth it in the end. As long as you don't pay more than $7-$8 per 100 sleeves, you aren't getting taken to the cleaners by your local. I'm all for supporting local small businesses but not when they unreasonably overcharge.

That's EXACTLY the kind of life I was used to. I lived in Vancouver for a good 20 some odd years having almost anything I would have wanted at my disposal to having next to nothing in my area now. Even the game shop I got the Alien game from is just a small little local store. They normally deal with Warhammer/Magic so I was very surprised to even see the game in there. It was the only copy too & well, now it's mine I guess haha I've really been thinking about going for those Funko ReAction figures. I would prefer Neca obviously for the look/detail but with the ReAction being about $10 each, shouldn't be too hard to complete that collection fast & go back to Neca.

Thanks for the head's up on prices of the sleeves! I didn't know what they go for & certainly don't want to get drained cause there's a lot of damn cards in that game haha I'm the same I like to suppose local small businesses but if they're selling the same product I can find for say $5 cheaper at Walmart, I'll take the $5 cheaper. It's bad enough the one time I got them to order me in the Metroid Prime Trilogy on Wii & that ran me $100 for a used copy. Would have been more for a sealed one. Sadly, the price for it online was no better so I sucked it up & paid it. Now I see the same game is on the WiiU Virtual Store for $20. Win some, lose some but at least it's a real physical copy haha

Mr. Clemens

If you're gonna be sleeving the different decks in different colours, bear in mind that sometimes some cards get shuffled to/from different decks (facehuggers in the barracks, for example), so you could be spoiling some surprises for yourself!

XenoZipper

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Mar 29, 2016, 04:00:29 PM
If you're gonna be sleeving the different decks in different colours, bear in mind that sometimes some cards get shuffled to/from different decks (facehuggers in the barracks, for example), so you could be spoiling some surprises for yourself!

Ah good thinking there Mr.Clemens I didn't think of that! This is rumor control, here are the facts.. haha I did recently play a game where I had to take 3 Facehuggers from the Hatchery & stick them in random spots in the barracks & yea you're right that it would have been spoiled by seeing the different color sleeve. Maybe Barracks & Hatchery I would keep the same color for those "in case" times & then have different colors for Strikes, Hive cards.

Corporal Hicks

I went for all black. Seemed a fitting colour for Alien and it's not like I can't tell what decks they're from. It says it on them.

I do still need to buy proper sleeves for Predator though. I'm still using those flimsy penny ones for that.

XenoZipper

Black sounds nice too. It would have been nice if the back of the cards was the kinda of "A" logo that's on the Quadrilogy boxset or even a small graphic of the egg that's on the box.

Machiko Naguchi

If you want to sleeve them for a small amount of money you can just use the penny sleeves. I used those for the whole thing and they work fine for me. I know the Ultra Pro are better but as long as you don't play all the time then they hold up well enough.

PRJ_since1990

Penny sleeves are the cheapest way to go and honestly, offer exactly what you want mainly, protection. Colors are nice and I like it color coded so I don't ever run the risk of the game falling off the table or the box exploding and it takes forever to resort it. With colors, such as red for the strike deck, it helps make set up and clean up easier. However, no one is wrong here. It really comes down to preference and budget.

XenoZipper

I certainly appreciate the suggestions on both though, thanks guys. It's definitely more for protection & keeping them in good condition over anything else so it doesn't really matter to me which one I end up going with. For budgetary reasons I see myself going for the penny sleeves. I got the dividers in good use splitting up the decks & been labeled already so set up & all that is fairly fast for me. I don't always play so well & don't always beat a game but I have a blast playing it. I'll have to pick up Predator next time I have a chance or just wait for the Queen set.

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: XenoZipper on Mar 31, 2016, 01:29:48 AM
I certainly appreciate the suggestions on both though, thanks guys. It's definitely more for protection & keeping them in good condition over anything else so it doesn't really matter to me which one I end up going with. For budgetary reasons I see myself going for the penny sleeves. I got the dividers in good use splitting up the decks & been labeled already so set up & all that is fairly fast for me. I don't always play so well & don't always beat a game but I have a blast playing it. I'll have to pick up Predator next time I have a chance or just wait for the Queen set.
They are both super enjoyable and flavorful! You'll love Predator and I can't wait to see what Upper Deck does with this expansion!

XenoZipper

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Mar 31, 2016, 01:52:02 AM
They are both super enjoyable and flavorful! You'll love Predator and I can't wait to see what Upper Deck does with this expansion!

Sounds good to me! I did see the store I grabbed Alien from did have Predator as well though not sure if they still do or not. Good chance though, there isn't much at all for Aliens/Predator fans in my area. Yea I'm looking forward to that Expansion as well! Box art looks deadly! I don't think I've had this much fun playing a card game in many many years

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed