Noah Hawley Explains Why ‘Prometheus’ Isn’t “Useful” for His ‘Alien’ Prequel

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 13, 2024, 12:24:45 PM

Author
Noah Hawley Explains Why ‘Prometheus’ Isn’t “Useful” for His ‘Alien’ Prequel (Read 32,434 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

https://twitter.com/Stingray_travel/status/1745970146173178176

-------------------------

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/noah-hawley-prometheus-alien-prequel-fx-1235787276/amp/

Quote"Ridley and I have talked about this — and many, many elements of the show," Hawley says. "For me, and for a lot of people, this 'perfect life form' — as it was described in the first film — is the product of millions of years of evolution that created this creature that may have existed for a million years out there in space. The idea that, on some level, it was a bioweapon created half an hour ago, that's just inherently less useful to me. And in terms of the mythology, what's scary about this monster, is that when you look at those first two movies, you have this retro-futuristic technology. You have giant computer monitors, these weird keyboards ... You have to make a choice. Am I doing that? Because in the prequels, Ridley made the technology thousands of years more advanced than the technology of Alien, which is supposed to take place in those movies' future. There's something about that that doesn't really compute for me. I prefer the retro-futurism of the first two films. And so that's the choice I've made — there's no holograms. The convenience of that beautiful Apple store technology is not available to me."

skhellter

skhellter

https://www.kcrw.com/culture/shows/the-business/fargo-season-5-amazon-layoffs

full interview here.

Noah is NOT a fan of the way Covenant explained the origin of the Aliens.
he straight up says he prefers that the "alien is a creature that has existed for millions of years".

so yeah looks like the new movie and show are just retconning Covenant.
(unsurprising - with Ridley failing to make Alien Destiny due to the illogical way that they were trying to tie covenant to the original movie AND with David being insane - not even able to tell that his favourite poem is a diss on megalomaniacs like himself and not even being able to know who actuallly wrote it. David was always unreliable).

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Hicks may never get to see David suit up as the space jockey and crash the derelict on LV-426. :'(

BlueMarsalis79

skhellter

i LIKE david creating the aliens.

but whatever. sure. Just gonna let Hawley cook, see what he brings to the table.

BlueMarsalis79

I like it in the context of Covenant, and in conversation with the other Alien films, as a hypothetical it is interesting but as a definite, it is very limiting.

SiL

Just when I thought I couldn't lose any more interest I

actually gain some.

Local Trouble

I thought you were the biggest proponent of David the Creator.

xShadowFoxX

xShadowFoxX

Hmm my interest has piqued.

Personally, I think he should just excise the prequels completely. They can just stay in their own continuity and have little to no bearings on the original films.

But then again.. this is a TV series..

Acid_Reign161

This is fantastic news! Cassette-futurism *and* course-correcting on Xenomorph origin? I'll be honest, I've went from being highly apprehensive about this show to being really interested! I love Prometheus and. Covenant, don't get me wrong, but I'm very happy with this. Let's see how it turns out. 😃

Some Old Dude

Much like Star Wars, if I see a creative shit on the prequels I assume they're the most boring kind of nerd. I'm still keen, but anyone media illiterate enough to think David created the Alien, I would much prefer they didn't touch the prequels anyway.

skhellter

Ridley 100% meant for David to be the one that CREATED the alien in covenant.

anyway -

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1746236467494703142
if people check the quotes and replies. lots of people are hating this. lol

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: skhellter on Jan 14, 2024, 01:24:00 AMif people check the quotes and replies. lots of people are hating this. lol

Quote from: Some Old Dude on Jan 14, 2024, 01:13:38 AMMuch like Star Wars, if I see a creative shit on the prequels I assume they're the most boring kind of nerd.

I'm definitely the most boring kind of nerd.  I've been using the prequels as my personal toilet for going on 25 years now.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed