6 Year old had his first viewing of Aliens

Started by razeak, Jan 22, 2024, 01:54:06 AM

Author
6 Year old had his first viewing of Aliens (Read 1,555 times)

SiL

Ripley isn't an annoying twat in the first film.

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jan 23, 2024, 09:44:58 PMJust like the original, said threads can be followed up, or not.

Everything introduced in the first three Alien films can still be used, just not the characters (which I am very grateful for) aside from Michael Bishop, new characters give the writer infinitely more freedom and the setting infinitely more believability when it is not the same people dunking on Aliens.

Dark Descent, Cold Forge, Into Charybdis and Phalanx all benefit from being divorced from Ripley or any prior characters weighing them down.

I did not even say that before editing, I pointed out that unlike the original film, the antagonist actually survives and becomes the available thread to potenially follow up on- not the protagonists obviously.

SiL

Before editing you'd quoted someone saying the most annoying twat survived (in parenthesis) and you said just like the first movie.

I was clearly being flippant.

BlueMarsalis79

I misread your tone then sorry.

Kimo

Kimo

I watched Alien when i was 5 back on Betamax with my dad, i remember being traumatized by it lol. Then i watched Aliens when i was around 10 with a friend, who wanted to watch a scary movie when we were looking to rent a VHS at a sleep over. I picked up Aliens thinking it was Alien because i did not know Aliens was a sequel, and you can imagine i was a little confused at first when watching it however i was blown away by it and became a massive fan.

When my daughter was around 6 or 7 she was watching me play Alien Isolation, she would always love watching me play it. She said the alien looked funny with its banana shaped head and asked me were the xeno came from? I told her it was from an old movie called ALIEN, she then demanded to watch it. I was thinking the film maybe a little bit to scary for her at that age? but she kept begging me to watch it. So i decided to show her some little snippets from the film, stuff like when the Alien is looking at Joansey and then a clip were the alien walks over to Parker and Lambert but i paused it before they were killed. My daughter said it looks funny and said she is not frightened and wants to see more. She then asked how did the alien get on the spaceship? so i tried to explain the xenomorphs life cycle to her in the most kid friendly way possible without being to graphic... and guess what? she wanted to see the little baby Chestburster lol. So i thought lets see how she reacts, she seems to be handling the other snippets ive already showed her? She watched it all and laughed her head off after watching the chestburster scene and said it looked cute or something lol.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Kimo on Jan 23, 2024, 11:18:12 PMshe wanted to see the little baby Chestburster lol. So i thought lets see how she reacts, she seems to be handling the other snippets ive already showed her? She watched it all and laughed her head off after watching the chestburster scene and said it looked cute or something lol.

razeak

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jan 23, 2024, 09:44:58 PMJust like the original, said threads can be followed up, or not.

Everything introduced in the first three Alien films can still be used, just not the characters (which I am very grateful for) aside from Michael Bishop, new characters give the writer infinitely more freedom and the setting infinitely more believability when it is not the same people dunking on Aliens.

Dark Descent, Cold Forge, Into Charybdis and Phalanx all benefit from being divorced from Ripley or any prior characters weighing them down.

Absolutely. For me personally, it's more the offscreen deaths than anything. I hated it in Covenant too. It would be different if we didn't have a magic egg too. A little different. Ripley surviving those first two encounters was enough of a stretch considering what she was up against. She couldn't ride off into the sunset, and that was how an important character should go. There are varying layers of quality. Even offscreen death isn't exactly a no no, but it still has to be done in a quality way. We can holler about nihilism blah blah all we want. Fine. Let fate be inescapable. Just let them DO something. It's a cheap way in the case of Alien 3, and frankly, with the development hell it came out of, we can't really believe it was their best foot being put forward on the script to begin with.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

I still feel they should use the Alien 3 branding more (yes, I know why they don't). But these days, the 'Alien' and 'Aliens' branding seems interchangeable, with no real difference (I'd have preferred if the EU used 'Alien' for space horror, and 'Aliens' for more action-focused stories. But I'd like to see more 'Alien 3' branding, in the same way, say 'Doom 3' has its own series of novels as opposed to simply naming it 'Doom'. More nihilism, more of the same creature aesthetics in the artwork, maybe less space/ship settings and more early-90s style gritty 'off-world' settings. Less colonists, and more dregs of society, the type of settings that might jump straight out of an early 90s issue of 2000ad. Hell, to be honest, whilst I'm not overly keen on the 4th movie to be paired with the original trilogy, I'd be down for more 'Alien: Resurrection' branding, to differentiate stories in that era too.

[EDIT: sorry, that was completely off topic 😅 but the Alien 3 chat had me thinking out aloud]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed