Was the Nostromo sent to LV426 on purpose?

Started by Xenomrph, Jan 05, 2024, 08:05:30 AM

Author
Was the Nostromo sent to LV426 on purpose? (Read 1,677 times)

The Cruentus

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 06, 2024, 09:41:22 PM
Quote from: SiL on Jan 06, 2024, 09:35:10 PMThe Company doesn't send the marines.

I thought they were personally sent by Van Leuwen himself, the CEO of Weyland-Yutani.  Because the company owns the marines.  Or something.

I thought they only owned the marines in the EU. Burke was only sent with them (or so Burke probably claimed anyway) to look after company interests since it is their installation. He didn't have any authority over the marines as Ripley points out.

Xenomrph

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 07, 2024, 05:30:14 PM
Quote from: SiL on Jan 06, 2024, 09:35:10 PMThe Company doesn't send the marines.

I thought they were personally sent by Van Leuwen himself, the CEO of Weyland-Yutani.  Because the company owns the marines.  Or something.

I thought they only owned the marines in the EU. Burke was only sent with them (or so Burke probably claimed anyway) to look after company interests since it is their installation. He didn't have any authority over the marines as Ripley points out.
The RPG lets the players/GM decide how much control the Company has.

SM

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 07, 2024, 05:30:14 PM

The Company only owns the marines in The Rage War (in the 27th century).

ralfy

ralfy

According to the first movie, the ship was sent by the company to investigate the signal. In addition, the company also got the location of the signal, which is why it instructed the ship computer to reroute the ship to the new coordinates.

What did the company do with that information after it lost contact with the Nostromo? Apparently, nothing: they even set up a colony on the same rock later and didn't bother to check the coordinates.

In order to resolve this discrepancy, we have to assume that right after they lost contact with the Nostromo, the company lost all messages to and from the ship computer, and they had no backups. The distress beacon was also damaged by volcanic activity, so any other ship they sent to the rock plus the colony never found the derelict ship.

Finally, about authority over the Marines, it was a military mission, but Burke still ordered military personnel like Bishop around. And Mr. Burke was very specific about his instructions.

SM

Bishop's a robot.  Anyone can order him around so long as it doesn't involve hurting people.

SiL

Considering he's got most people on ignore is he actually just passing at every opportunity to talk to himself?

PsyKore

Does anyone think Covenant retroactively changes things? I kinda think now Ash was deliberately put on board because there already is prior knowledge of the Alien handed down by David. Perhaps Ripley and Parker's assumption about Ash is correct?

SiL

Quote from: PsyKore on Jan 08, 2024, 09:29:31 AMDoes anyone think Covenant retroactively changes things? I kinda think now Ash was deliberately put on board because there already is prior knowledge of the Alien handed down by David. Perhaps Ripley and Parker's assumption about Ash is correct?
Ash was put on board because of the special order so it doesn't really change anything if the order was placed because they knew or only suspected.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Jan 08, 2024, 09:10:47 AMConsidering he's got most people on ignore is he actually just passing at every opportunity to talk to himself?
what does your heart tell you

ralfy

Quote from: PsyKore on Jan 08, 2024, 09:29:31 AMDoes anyone think Covenant retroactively changes things? I kinda think now Ash was deliberately put on board because there already is prior knowledge of the Alien handed down by David. Perhaps Ripley and Parker's assumption about Ash is correct?

It changes viewers' perceptions of the first two movies but probably also explains what happened in the first movie. That is,

In the first movie, Ripley doesn't allow Dallas and the others back on the ship because of ICC regulations, and later, she tells the others that the company probably needed the organism for its bio-weapons division. Both of these imply precendence. That is, companies had been caught smuggling what turned out to be dangerous organisms, and the government had to impose regulations to stop that, and W-Y had come up with a bio-weapons division to exploit such organisms.

With that, one can argue that W-Y had been exposed to such organisms in the past, and that's revealed in the prequels. This explains why the W-Y report states that the reason why the company came up with the special order was because of what happened during the prequels.

As an aside, what about the spores and all that in the prequels? It was later revealed that there deleted scenes in the first movie referring to such organisms, which means the writers and Scott were considering them. In this case, the same director introduced what was deleted in the same prequels.

Some say the prequels also explain why they were able to partially decode the signal from the distress beacon easily, which is why the company decided to have the Nostromo rerouted to the coordinates of the beacon.

Meanwhile, even without the prequels, discrepancies already appear in the first two movies. For example, if the company instructed Mother to reroute the Nostromo to the new coordinates, then that means that the company had the location of the beacon. That means it would not have had to wait to recover the information from Ripley's lifeboat flight recorder decades later.

And yet for some reason the company did not bother to investigate the coordinates for the next few decades, not even when it set up a colony on the same rock.

Finally, if Mother operated that way, i.e., send information to the company automatically, then if it's a machine that can essentially operate the whole ship and everything inside it even as the crew is in cryo-sleep, then it would have been able to gather a lot of data on what happened inside the Nostromo and sent them to the company.

One more thing: given such a find (intelligent life and the probability of an alien craft) and the presence of a bio-weapons division that would have potentially profited incredibly from such, I would imagine the company pestering the Nostromo crew, asking them what happened to their expedition and so on. It's even possible that they knew enough to instruct Ash to follow the special order.

Xenomrph

Quote from: ralfy on Jan 09, 2024, 12:53:17 AM

Meanwhile, even without the prequels, discrepancies already appear in the first two movies. For example, if the company instructed Mother to reroute the Nostromo to the new coordinates, then that means that the company had the location of the beacon. That means it would not have had to wait to recover the information from Ripley's lifeboat flight recorder decades later.

And yet for some reason the company did not bother to investigate the coordinates for the next few decades, not even when it set up a colony on the same rock.

No, it means the Company knew the signal was coming from a certain direction, not precisely where it was. The Nostromo got rerouted in that direction until it found the signal, but did not relay that position back to anyone. The Nostromo is lost, whoever sent her gets spooked and doesn't follow up, and then the signal goes away anyway and it becomes a moot point. Fast-forward a while and a colony gets set up there through sheer dumb luck, and then the events of 'Aliens' happens.

SM

SM

Quote from: ralfy on Jan 09, 2024, 12:53:17 AM

It changes viewers' perceptions of the first two movies but probably also explains what happened in the first movie. That is,

In the first movie, Ripley doesn't allow Dallas and the others back on the ship because of ICC regulations, and later, she tells the others that the company probably needed the organism for its bio-weapons division. Both of these imply precendence. That is, companies had been caught smuggling what turned out to be dangerous organisms, and the government had to impose regulations to stop that, and W-Y had come up with a bio-weapons division to exploit such organisms.

With that, one can argue that W-Y had been exposed to such organisms in the past, and that's revealed in the prequels. This explains why the W-Y report states that the reason why the company came up with the special order was because of what happened during the prequels.

As an aside, what about the spores and all that in the prequels? It was later revealed that there deleted scenes in the first movie referring to such organisms, which means the writers and Scott were considering them. In this case, the same director introduced what was deleted in the same prequels.

Some say the prequels also explain why they were able to partially decode the signal from the distress beacon easily, which is why the company decided to have the Nostromo rerouted to the coordinates of the beacon.

Finally, if Mother operated that way, i.e., send information to the company automatically, then if it's a machine that can essentially operate the whole ship and everything inside it even as the crew is in cryo-sleep, then it would have been able to gather a lot of data on what happened inside the Nostromo and sent them to the company.

One more thing: given such a find (intelligent life and the probability of an alien craft) and the presence of a bio-weapons division that would have potentially profited incredibly from such, I would imagine the company pestering the Nostromo crew, asking them what happened to their expedition and so on. It's even possible that they knew enough to instruct Ash to follow the special order.

Quarantine has existed for centuries which also includes protocols on the Prometheus before they ever encountered anything.

I think Ralfy may have had a nuancectomy.

Nixon got caught trying to smuggle the crew of Apollo 11 to America.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed