Dark Horse Announces "Predator: Life and Death" (FaS-style Crossover)

Started by Ultramorph, Dec 11, 2015, 12:07:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces "Predator: Life and Death" (FaS-style Crossover) (Read 137,168 times)

Corporal Hicks

Interesting. I wonder how they intersect.

Ultramorph

Hopefully they intersect in a way that gives more context to what was happening in "Fire and Stone".

happypred

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 10, 2016, 12:09:12 PM
Hopefully they intersect in a way that gives more context to what was happening in "Fire and Stone".

With all those creative minds behind the series...expected a lot more

Ultramorph

The writers room was a cool idea, and I'm glad they did it, but I do think it had flaws. I'm hoping that Abnett is writing all of these upcoming series. "Helmed by Abnett" isn't entirely clear.

happypred

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 13, 2016, 01:36:17 AM
I'm hoping that Abnett is writing all of these upcoming series. "Helmed by Abnett" isn't entirely clear.

Indeed...one vision holding it all together to avoid the "too many cooks" problem

Wouldn't mind consistent art either (if it is good)

Ultramorph

The April solicitations are up (http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/dark-horse-april-2016-solicitations-include-aliens-defiance-house-of-penance-more), and we have the cover and summary for Predator: Life and Death #2.
Spoiler

QuotePredator: Life and Death #2 (of 4)
Dan Abnett (W), Brian Thies (A), Rain Beredo (C), and David Palumbo (Cover)
On sale April 6
FC, 32 pages
$3.99
Miniseries
Colonial Marines hunt the Predators, and the Predators lead the marines into an ambush! But on the jungle world of Tartarus, everyone has their eyes on the ultimate prize: an otherworldly spacecraft ripe for the taking!
[close]

RakaiThwei

I gotta ask... why are they using the Kenner Predators?

Are they canonizing them now along with their wonky backstories?

Ultramorph

Who knows, but I was just pointing that out on Facebook!  :laugh: That's definitely the Hive Wars Predator. I like it, variety is always cool.

Corporal Hicks

Loving the jungle camo! I'm really excited to see this series.  Colonial Marines vs Predator in/around an Engineer ship. I can't wait!  ;D

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jan 14, 2016, 07:59:51 PM
I gotta ask... why are they using the Kenner Predators?

Are they canonizing them now along with their wonky backstories?

Unlikely. The artist probably just likes aspects of the design.

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 14, 2016, 08:02:32 PM
Who knows, but I was just pointing that out on Facebook!  :laugh: That's definitely the Hive Wars Predator. I like it, variety is always cool.

And now I know who you are, friend request incoming.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 14, 2016, 08:03:51 PM
Unlikely. The artist probably just likes aspects of the design.

I hope you're right about that.

The Kenner Predators, I have mixed feelings about. Some can fit in the context of the films but most are just REALLY outlandish like Stalker, Nightstorm, Night Recon, Clan Leader. They're great as toys though.

Ultramorph

Kenner-inspired Predators fighting Marines over a Space Jockey ship sounds like something awesome I would have done with my toys as a kid. I'm sold on this series. I agree about some of the Kenner designs being outlandish, but NECA has shown that some of the most outlandish can be drawn to look pretty cool.

Also, based on what Randy Stradley said, I imagine that this particular miniseries will stand pretty much apart from too much Fire and Stone stuff. Maybe just a reveal at the end of issue 4 that
Spoiler
Tartarus is LV-223 or something like that
[close]

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 14, 2016, 08:21:40 PM
I agree about some of the Kenner designs being outlandish, but NECA has shown that some of the most outlandish can be drawn to look pretty cool.

It's been a hard couple years for me as an AVP fan to be onboard with the rebooted canon. So I'm trying to be optimistic but it's been very hard for me. So you'll have to forgive my outlook on current projects. NECA has done so far, a good job in revising the original Kenner designs but some of them they should've left alone such as Scavenger and Nightstorm. As for Spike Tail, I will admit that is a good redesign.

I'm just wanting something that is more in line with the films, and some of the Kenner designs are, but some of them... I just feel aren't and I don't want those that I feel aren't in line with the movies to make an appearance. The Kenner toys and comics were a part of my childhood, but looking back, I most certainly wouldn't want some of them cemented in canon.

Hive Wars, Lava Planet, Cracked Tusk, Renegade, and... MAYBE Spike Tail, I could see fitting in and wouldn't mind.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jan 14, 2016, 08:58:02 PM
It's been a hard couple years for me as an AVP fan to be onboard with the rebooted canon.

If there's one thing I've learnt recently is that canon does not matter. It's fluid and it makes no difference to us. Just enjoy what you enjoy. No-one can take that away from you.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 14, 2016, 09:09:18 PM
If there's one thing I've learnt recently is that canon does not matter.

Funny, because all these years, in the groups I surrounded myself in... at some point, it did matter.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 14, 2016, 09:09:18 PM
No-one can take that away from you.

Then how come it feels like that?

The Alien Predator

Great news, Ultramorph. I am so sold on this series! That summary for the second issue really pumped up my excitement!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed