Dead Space

Started by fluxcap, Oct 10, 2007, 02:43:40 AM

Author
Dead Space (Read 91,918 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I've not beat it yet but it has been good.  TLOU remake was good, but this game adds storyline and map tweaks that make sense, and keep it from being a step for step remake like TLOU was. 

TLOU was almost stale in comparison as I think I really only noticed a couple of map tweaks, the new combat system, and the superior graphics.  For somebody who has played the game dozens of times that really wasn't enough to warrant a purchase. 

Here I am looking for changes, and approving of them, because they make sense and add to the lore.  But they ARE NOT the crazy ass changes that RE2 (which was still a good remake) or RE3 (which was slaughtered). 

Stitch

Stitch

I've finished chapter 5, and it's good. Being a remake, I actually feel that (so far) it's stayed a little too close to the original, and they could have done with a bit more expansion.

That being said, the changes they've made are good. The maps are changed subtly enough that they feel just like the original, even if they're slightly better designed. The asteroid section is fine. I'm not one of the people who absolutely hated the original, but I feel that this replacement could have been a little bit tougher.

The side missions are good, and I think they could have done with more of them (again, as far as I'm up to, they might expand greatly from here on in). The fleshing out of the story is nice.

Overall, it's pretty good.

Interestingly, I read an article saying how DS remake, despite getting all the praise Callisto Protocol didn't, actually runs worse than its competitor. An RTX 4090 can't run DS at 60fps in 4K.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I'm at the start of chapter 3 and this remake is fantastic.

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jan 25, 2023, 07:38:24 AMSomething to sate your Dead Space craving until the 27th!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7zizs3yrm0
I've been struggling to get this to run in an emulator on my PC for the past several days now. I played it back when it was new, but it's been delisted from the iOS store for years so there's no way for iPhone users to play it.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 29, 2023, 10:25:18 AMI'm at the start of chapter 3 and this remake is fantastic.

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jan 25, 2023, 07:38:24 AMSomething to sate your Dead Space craving until the 27th!

I've been struggling to get this to run in an emulator on my PC for the past several days now. I played it back when it was new, but it's been delisted from the iOS store for years so there's no way for iPhone users to play it.
Unless you're an iPhone owner with a PSVita.

https://github.com/v-atamanenko/deadspace-vita

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Stitch on Jan 29, 2023, 05:38:04 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 29, 2023, 10:25:18 AMI'm at the start of chapter 3 and this remake is fantastic.

Unless you're an iPhone owner with a PSVita.

https://github.com/v-atamanenko/deadspace-vita
Oh, yeah, I don't have one of those haha.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

The APK I had works great on my little Motorola.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I may have a line on how to get it working properly in BlueStacks, I'm going to tinker with it in a little while.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Speaking as someone that's never played the original, I'm really digging the remake so far. Still early in yet, only on the second chapter.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jan 31, 2023, 04:36:20 AMSpeaking as someone that's never played the original, I'm really digging the remake so far. Still early in yet, only on the second chapter.

If you're lucky, you'll never have to experience the horror that I experienced when I played the original. >:(

Nelostic

Nelostic

I want after hype of DS Remake
I Want DS 4

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I think ultimately it runs into the same problems the OG game does.  I feel that it DOES exceed the OG game by a little bit, but by the end it gets somewhat boring and same-ish.  Just like the original.  DS2 still remains the APEX of the series. 

There were things handled better in the OG game than the remake and vice versa. 

Spoiler
I prefer Mercer's death in the OG vs the Remake (which was cheeseball with the tentacle holding onto you and the marker supposed to have deadspace around it that the necromorphs can't survive for very long in), but liked the Temple bits better in the remake.
 Likewise the NICOLE IS DEAD spelling of the chapters twist makes more sense in the remake, but was more impactful in the OG game because of Isaacs reaction.  Here his reaction despite it making more sense story wise, falls flat in comparison.  Overall having more characters makes the Ishimura feel more alive in the remake but the remake isn't as scary as the OG was when it felt just like you and an undead ship.  Not that that mattered after the first little bit to me, but that feeling only lasted for me about fifteen minutes in the remake instead of the OG which lasted much longer.
[close]

If I give OG DS a 8/10.  Then I give remake 8.5/10. 

PsyKore

PsyKore

I loved the remake for its visuals alone. If you're like me and get off on horror ship sci-fi designs, it's absolutely great. I also liked the better characterization of people. The gameplay is the same and it's still fun, I think.

My only wish is that they made it more creepy. I've never been a fan of the necromorphs simply because there's no subtlety to them. It's like every 5 f**king minutes in this game you hear a crash and then "Rrrroooouuuaaaagghhhhh!" as they come charging for you. It gets old after a while.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Yes.  That is why I think that DS2 is better.  The necromorphs do more of the same.  Even the stalkers eventually run at you, it is how I deal with them on my replays just wait for them, but there are times when you are exploring where it isn't overwhelming necro rush constantly.  I also feel like the sheer diversity of titan is better than the limited aesthetics of DS2.  I also think the mindf**k/haunted bits are better in the sequel than either of the other two games.  Which makes sense story wise, but I've always loved physical horror blending in with horror of the mind, so in that regard DS2 also rates higher. 

They did a good enough job on the og remake that I look forward to ds2 remake.  Titan station with sidequest will be pretty epic.  To bad WWIII or the next US civil war will probably happen before it is released. 

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

DS (2008) > DSR > DS2 > Extraction > DS3 > Ignition

The original one still has my favourite aesthetics, favourite performances, more subtle psychological horror and it is genuinely scary unlike the others, DSR has the better gameplay implementation of 2 and 3.

2's superb, but the constant pushing forward rollercoaster means it is barely a survival horror, but I absolutely can not overstate the quality of the writing for Ellie Langford, Isaac Clarke and Nolan Stross and especially applaud how they tie into the escalating set pieces. It even has a decent competitive multiplayer suite.

3's fun on the basis of certain ideas, and the bones of Dead Space, but it feels like the bones, the meat of the thing has been stripped away in the effort to appeal to more people with more underwritten easily categorisable characters in the forefront, even Isaac and Ellie get hit with the stupid stick, but like the crafting system it is a fun novelty with no real substance.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I have never played Extraction or Ignition.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed