The Warhammer 40k Thread

Started by The Kurgan, Dec 09, 2018, 02:19:07 PM

Author
The Warhammer 40k Thread (Read 65,036 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

But that sounds awful.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

It does!

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Feb 24, 2022, 06:57:31 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 24, 2022, 01:36:56 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 24, 2022, 01:15:06 AM
Maybe they'll bring back beep-boop soulless Necrons too.
They technically never went away, they're a legal and fluff-appropriate way to run a Necron army if you want to, there are just other options now.

Technically, you can still run a Space Marine army, except they're rare male Sisters of Battle in the new fluff and you have f**k around with the Imperial Guard list to run your old painted units.
Yeah but that doesn't have anything to do with what I said.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Yes it does. In this hypothetical, all your old models are still completely playable, but the fluff is radically different and the playstyle has dramatically changed.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Just imagine what they'll do to the Tyranids next.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Feb 26, 2022, 12:41:32 AM
Yes it does. In this hypothetical, all your old models are still completely playable, but the fluff is radically different and the playstyle has dramatically changed.
"Beep boop soulless Necrons" can apply to any Necron models, old or modern, and likewise can apply to the fluff as well. If you want to play beep boop Necrons on the tabletop, that is absolutely a thing you can do and still have them be lore-accurate if that's your thing. Beep boop Necrons exist in the modern lore.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Except, now they're like that because they've got space Alzheimer's and have forgotten that the immortal star-gods they worship are actually shattered fragments that can be captured like Pokémon.

Not understanding why this might royally piss some people off, or pretending to not understand, is either astoundingly stupid or very disingenuous of you.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Not sure I follow, but then I never really knew much about the Necron lore.  What's the problem?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

It's a "David created the Alien" level retcon of the faction, except people who don't like it can't just write it off like they can with that.

According to Xenomrph, the answer is to say that "he really did create the Alien, and all the stuff set prior to that is crazy people who believe they're in the past, having encounters".

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

But Xenomrph HATES that David created the alien. ???

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Yes, which is why he's being a tool by insisting other people can't be mad about similar things.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Feb 26, 2022, 10:52:40 PM
Yes, which is why he's being a tool by insisting other people can't be mad about similar things.
I get why people are mad, I was one of them.

The difference is you're acting like there aren't beep boop Necrons at all anymore, or that you can't have beep boop Necrons. They do in fact actually exist and are a valid thing one can base their army on, there are just other options for people who want something else. Necrons being "mentally incomplete" or having space Alzheimer's has been a part of their lore since their first codex, with the knowledge that some Necrons had more mental faculties than others. Necrons with personalities showed up in books and video games prior to their 5th edition Codex. That trait just wasn't reflected on the tabletop until that codex brought it into the spotlight and introduced unique army characters with miniatures.

We already have a homogeneous unthinking bulwark army, they're called the Tyranids.

Just for clarity, is your only problem with the current Necron lore that the C'tan are pokemon? Because, like, I can get that complaint even if I don't agree with it. I will absolutely give that point to you that the change would piss people off. Like I said, it pissed me off at first too.

But you not understanding why people might like the option of adding some flavor to their army instead of being pigeon-holed into one archetype (especially when that one archetype is still available for use) is either astoundingly stupid or very disingenuous of you.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 30, 2021, 12:24:01 AMJust recently got the Warhammer 40k Fireteam board game, which is the first Warhammer anything I've ever delved into. Haven't read the rules yet, but I'm guessing this is like, a very stripped down version of the core game since it is designed to be played out of the box? There are a decent handful of minis in here that need to be constructed/painted.

W E L C O M E

;D

The miniatures included in the box can definitely be used in regular WH40K games and expanded into a full army. The rules however, I think are quite different. I saw an article saying the rules for Fireteam is a stripped down ruleset from Killteam, which i turn is a stripped down ruleset from WH40K. But probably a good place to start all the same.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Yes yes I know a fan did it first a year ago (and technically Starcraft 2 did it 10 years ago, but Starcraft ripped off 40K so turnabout is fair play).

But IMO the "official" version is the best one of the three. It better conveys the ritualism and ceremony that goes into armoring a Space Marine, how it's not just one guy getting suited up by a machine like Iron Man but it's a whole orchestra of servitors, techpriests, and serfs doing this whole big ordeal with incense and cherubs and chants and incantations and stuff.

Ivan The Insect

Ivan The Insect

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 19, 2022, 07:51:09 AM
Yes yes I know a fan did it first a year ago (and technically Starcraft 2 did it 10 years ago, but Starcraft ripped off 40K so turnabout is fair play).

To be fair as both a StarCraft and 40k fan I have to admit there's a major difference in the style and feel of both universes, however I can't deny that SC went to absolute mediocrity after Brood War... I still play the original SC and have even read the first trilogy of novels that came out back then and they were oozing with atmosphere and attitude. The power armour looked bulky, rusty and dirty, the Zerg looked like actual alien parasites covered in slime and displaying very different often conflicting morphological traits, something very unlike the Tyranids of the time or anything since actually. Most hive mind devouring swarms look uniform and I guess "clean" to this day and that disappoints me. Even something like Starship Troopers (movie) which influenced both 40k and SC in major ways went for a more logical uniform look for the Bugs. The one franchise at the time that did something similar to SC's Zerg was ironically Roughnecks the SST animated show which had those freaky looking almost squishy and surreal designs for the Bugs to the point each individual caste looked like it belongs to an entirely different species... and they kind of do considering the Bugs of that show could assimilate DNA much like the Zerg or Tyranids.

What I'm going for is that saying SC ripped off 40k is technically right but a lot more complicated and layered. No one seems to mention how much 40k apparently "ripped off" Judge Dredd or even Heinlein's original SST novel. I mean people certainly see it but no one says it in the way they do for SC, simply because SC draws from the same sources as 40k and in a way applies the same strategy as GW, which is to mesh different themes into a whole and hope it works somehow, interestingly for 40k it works like a charm while SC lost whatever charm and uniqueness it had when it went full on comic book superhero fantasy nonsense...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed