Do some Predators hunt without cloaking?

Started by (Bad Blood), Apr 17, 2023, 12:05:21 AM

Author
Do some Predators hunt without cloaking? (Read 2,194 times)

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

Hey again, I noticed several Predators from the Lost Tribe such as Snake, Shaman and Stalker don't have a wrist computer/medicomp and no masks, Shaman In particular has a bone mask without a visor or metal components of any kind. Does that mean some of them don't hunt using their invisibility cloak? There doesn't seem to be any way of activating it. Maybe they find it more of a challenge? 

SiL

Since they dropped the body netting the cloak is as good as magic, so who knows.

(Bad Blood)

Quote from: SiL on Apr 17, 2023, 04:55:15 AMSince they dropped the body netting the cloak is as good as magic, so who knows.
LOL, yeah it's pretty difficult to figure out "how" it functions at this point. I guess my real question would be, are there Predators that hunt without using them?

SiL

I don't recall any from the EU, but I don't see why not.

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

Quote from: SiL on Apr 17, 2023, 05:02:54 AMI don't recall any from the EU, but I don't see why not.
Now that I think of it, don't know why I didn't recall this sooner considering, but the Bad Blood didn't hunt with his in Predator:Bad Blood. None of the Predators in Predator: Homeworld used them either.

SiL

Wasn't there an underwater hunter too? How did he go with cloaking?

(Bad Blood)

Quote from: SiL on Apr 17, 2023, 05:18:15 AMWasn't there an underwater hunter too? How did he go with cloaking?
There was indeed, I was just looking at my Omnibus and yeah for sure, he doesn't use one in Hell and Hot Water. Also found out neither does the Predator in Kindred.

Corporal Hicks

If we take The Predator into consideration, then it's a specific piece of technology that emits the cloaking field. We see it operate outside of the gauntlet so I guess it could be employed in many different means.

SiL

Right, magic.

Local Trouble

What does the body net have to do with their cloak?

SiL

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 22, 2023, 03:19:38 AMWhat does the body net have to do with their cloak?
While it's never confirmed in the films that's what the cloak is (AvP:Prey and some other novels said it was heating wire), it's as good a visual reference as any for how it works.

I just find the idea it's some kind of vague field doesn't really gel with the rest of the sort of tactile design work Stan Winston and co came up with (even accounting for the fact the netting is usually absent on one arm).

Local Trouble

That reminds me of the suit from the recent Invisible Man movie.

Mr.Turok

You know. It sets up the skill level to how stealthy a Predator can be without cloaking. Like if Batman is good without the use of cloaking, and then imagine him being extra OP with cloaking, is there a similar base for a Predator to be that good with and moreso with it? I realize we don't have something like this in hand, where a Predator is just that good in appearing and disappearing. Feels like we need to see something like this pulled off in media more often.

Wweyland

Probably some of the crazy Kenner/NECA Preds go without cloaking as well.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Apr 24, 2023, 05:40:42 AMYou know. It sets up the skill level to how stealthy a Predator can be without cloaking. Like if Batman is good without the use of cloaking, and then imagine him being extra OP with cloaking, is there a similar base for a Predator to be that good with and moreso with it? I realize we don't have something like this in hand, where a Predator is just that good in appearing and disappearing. Feels like we need to see something like this pulled off in media more often.

I love to see something like that - something where the Predator deliberately handicaps itself more.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed