Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jul 02, 2020, 03:23:45 PM

Author
Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License (Read 76,784 times)

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Jul 03, 2020, 05:39:56 AM
Forgot DotS.  Thanks for reminding me...

I can't forget about it when I keep waiting for you to explain it.

EVILthePREDATOR

@ SM

I just think all the stars here are aligning with making both franchises more marketable. So my answer would be language and profanity will be toned down. Disney's politics will probably be force fed in, like with Star Wars. And the violence will become cartoony. Especially in terms of films. Someone made the good point of marvel Max's print for punisher. Hopefully AvP will follow one that direction.

Like I say nothing is set in stone, I could be wrong because none of us know what both Disney and marvel have planned. But in my heart of hearts I just have a bad feeling about all of this.

I'd be very surprised if they didn't make it more children friendly to maximise profits.

Fingers crossed I'm wrong and it's business as usual.

Nightmare Asylum

Marvel also has their Max line that they could theoretically use. That's something that could vary project to project, with some more mainstream stuff releasing under the general Marvel banner and more, shall we say, explicit, material under the Max label. Marvel doesn't shy away from telling stories littered with sex and profanity and grisly violence with some of their own characters under this banner, so I don't see why they would be totally opposed to doing that with Alien and Predator from time to time.

They certainly have options. Whatever the case winds up being, the only thing we really can do is wait for more news and hope for some cool stuff.

Local Trouble

Quote from: EVILthePREDATOR on Jul 03, 2020, 05:47:44 AMDisney's politics will probably be force fed in, like with Star Wars. And the violence will become cartoony. Especially in terms of films. Someone made the good point of marvel Max's print for punisher. Hopefully AvP will follow one that direction.

Seems to me that characters like Amanda and Zula would fit right in with "Disney's politics" so I don't understand how this can be regarded as a sea change for the brand.

And, yes, Marvel brought back the MAX imprint in 2019 for a new Punisher series.  There's no reason they can't use it for Alien and Predator too.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/MAX_Comics

Nightmare Asylum

I still find it hilarious to think that in 2020 people are still complaining about "Disney's politics" in Star Wars while totally ignoring the fact that George Lucas was so incredibly political with his stories.

EVILthePREDATOR

@ Nightmare Asylum

Whilst I appreciate the opinion. I think when I'm saying that or other people. What we mean by it is political correctness.

Predator especially was NEVER politically correct.

SM

Yeah it's pretty mindboggling that people think 'Empire = bad' and being more inclusive is somehow 'political correctness gone MAD!!'

QuoteSo my answer would be language and profanity will be toned down.

What language?  'Shit' is used pretty sparingly and 'f**k' not all.  They even joke about it in Life & Death.

EVILthePREDATOR

@ SM

Please dude before we get in a huge debate at 7:15 in the morning. Learn what political correctness actually is. I'm not on about the empire being bad and you are putting words in my mouth there.

If you don't understand what real political correctness is. Something Disney have been relentless in the last ten years with showcasing I suggest you read about it. It's not strictly a Disney thing it's a society issue as well.

Put it this way. I'm pretty sure "slacked jawed faggot" for example is not something Disney or marvel will be approving anytime soon.

SM

Has a term like that appeared in any Predator comic - or film - in the last 20 years?

The world changed a long time ago.  Disney didn't change it.

Do try and keep up.

EVILthePREDATOR

SM you are clearly trying to just pick holes in everything I'm saying. Apparently you think it makes you smart when it doesn't.

The sentiment is real if thousands of fans of cinema in general feel the same way about political correctness. You might think it's about being "inclusive" but for a lot of us we just want a good story. I don't care what colour a character is or what their sexual orientation is. Why should that come first? The story and character should be the driving force.

And how is it relevant to the story? If it is relevant to the story then great by all means. But if it's not, it's forced and shallow.

What I'm trying to say is this.

The problem is when studios like Disney build a character around race just because it makes them look good to boost profits rather than it being sincere. It's actually a mockery to those real groups they are portraying. Because they are being made to be something special as opposed to something completely natural and normal. Which they are.

Don't you get the point?   

SiL

Why do you think that being inclusive and a good story are mutually exclusive?

The Alien series regularly includes female leads, POC in major roles, and LGBTQI characters. What could they possibly do that would be injecting "their" politics into it that the series hasn't been doing for 41 years?

EVILthePREDATOR

SiL I was talking about predator not alien.

SiL

A series that has still featured leading POC characters, strong female characters, and disabled characters in its 33 year history.

I never got the impression the Predator franchise was going out of its way to insult people.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Anyone want to see some examples of the stuff Marvel MAX published just last year?

Spoiler

[close]

And...

Spoiler

[close]

That's not even the worst of it, but is anyone still skeptical that they can handle Alien and Predator?

EVILthePREDATOR

EVILthePREDATOR

P1 and P2 were never politically correct. I can't stress this fact enough. In fact roger Ebert for example deemed predator 2 to be racist if I remember correctly.

Also both movies stereotyped..

Aliens actually comes to mind right now. I don't know how many of you are in the uk. But on sky movies aliens along with many other films have a warning that they are culturally offensive and may offend to a modern audience.

Clearly this isn't just something I've been thinking about...

" Sky Cinema are adding warnings to select films that contain "outdated attitudes, language and cultural depictions which may cause offence today". The TV channel, the content of which is also available on NOW TV, is including the disclaimer with films such as Aliens, Gone with the Wind, Flash Gordon and Dumbo"

This is the perfect example of what I mean by political correctness gone mad.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed