The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:44:01 PM

Author
The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon (Read 237,413 times)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 08, 2016, 02:31:04 AM
No, I think you're outgrowing it, and I feel you there. bro.

No man, it's definitely the inverse. I liked it before when everything was just simple and not as connected but now everything has to be complex and interconnected. Like you, I just.. don't want it to become like every other space sci-fi out there and it's looking like it's going to be.

I mean part of the charm of the old stuff, as much as the new EU supporters trash on it, was that there was little involvement of other life forms in regards to humanity's space faring and interactions. Yes, I very much preferred the dark, desolate void with few intelligent life and to me... I felt that was appropriate and very much true in the spirit of Alien-Predator. It was visceral. Now what we're getting is cerebral.

That's why I say it outgrew me. I preferred it when it was all visceral.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Jan 08, 2016, 01:56:20 AM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jan 08, 2016, 01:22:07 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 07, 2016, 09:30:13 PM
I really want to see some other intelligent lifeform crop up and have consistant and repeating dealings with both the Aliens and humanity. It'd be nice to add some variety to it.

YouTube pretty much będę tak serwisem to do that...

This is the best response I read so far as I literally do not understand it, but it sounds awesome.

Oh no!  I wrote that on my iPad but the language was set for Polish and spell check wrote that!  I was going to change it but then I saw something shiny and I got distracted.  I was trying to say:

"Yes you pretty much need a TV show to do that"

Damn spell check!  RITILMFAO   :laugh:

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 08, 2016, 12:02:34 AM
^This. Some of my favorite parts of Predator: FaS were when we saw Ahab hunting different aliens. A whole prequel series about him hunting on different planets in search of the Engineers would be amazing.

One of the best things Predator 2 did was show us that the Predators hunted more than just humans - and Aliens. We only ever really got glimpses of that in the various media. Whilst my over all opinion of the Fire and Stone series was a little disappointed, I absolutely loved the Predator series and I loved seeing them hunt things that weren't human.

There's only so long that the Predator hunting humans or Aliens can be interesting. As I constantly say, the galaxy doesn't need to be teeming with life but it could do with one or 2 other species to add some variety and keep things fresh. It others don't want to see it, that's fine - I'm happy they're keeping me happy with things like Ahab and the Engineer.

happypred

Would have liked more of a battle of wits between Ahab and Baldy...the burly brawl was a bit silly

Corporal Hicks

Me too. That was my only issue with the series really.

happypred

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 08, 2016, 09:25:49 AM

Yeah...just imagine Ahab employing tactical acumen to minimise the Engineer's incredible strength/durability, rather than playing to the Engineer's strengths. Ahab should've been crafty

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 08, 2016, 08:10:27 AM
Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 08, 2016, 12:02:34 AM
^This. Some of my favorite parts of Predator: FaS were when we saw Ahab hunting different aliens. A whole prequel series about him hunting on different planets in search of the Engineers would be amazing.

One of the best things Predator 2 did was show us that the Predators hunted more than just humans - and Aliens. We only ever really got glimpses of that in the various media. Whilst my over all opinion of the Fire and Stone series was a little disappointed, I absolutely loved the Predator series and I loved seeing them hunt things that weren't human.

There's only so long that the Predator hunting humans or Aliens can be interesting. As I constantly say, the galaxy doesn't need to be teeming with life but it could do with one or 2 other species to add some variety and keep things fresh. It others don't want to see it, that's fine - I'm happy they're keeping me happy with things like Ahab and the Engineer.

^
This pretty much sums up my thoughts. I don't mind one or two new races, the Arcturians would be a very nice addition and lots can be explored on them, as well as the Dog-Aliens.

It can still be thrown around that we've encountered "loads", but not all of them have to appear. Just flesh out one or two more, but leave the rest to be hunted by Predators in some cool short story or something. It leaves room for very creative designs and cultures.

The best thing with AvP franchise is that all the aliens have a language and culture, literally. No silly universal translator in some first encounter scenario, it's all seems to be some exciting yet a bit awkward first encounter.

Quote from: happypred on Jan 08, 2016, 09:22:32 AM
Would have liked more of a battle of wits between Ahab and Baldy...the burly brawl was a bit silly

I'd love to see some battle of wits in Predator Life and Death, maybe the Engineers might appear and use technology to repel both humans and Yautja.

Quote from: happypred on Jan 08, 2016, 02:54:01 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 08, 2016, 09:25:49 AM

Yeah...just imagine Ahab employing tactical acumen to minimise the Engineer's incredible strength/durability, rather than playing to the Engineer's strengths. Ahab should've been crafty

Imagine a reverse Dutch scenario, where the Predator crafts traps for the Engineer, where he realizes "holy crap, this prey is too deadly to face one on one" and starts being a proper hunter than a warrior, intent on claiming that trophy through tactical thinking rather than chest pounding pride.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Jan 08, 2016, 02:55:19 PMIt can still be thrown around that we've encountered "loads", but not all of them have to appear. Just flesh out one or two more, but leave the rest to be hunted by Predators in some cool short story or something. It leaves room for very creative designs and cultures.

I'd rather intelligent life be kept to absolute minimum. By all means have lots of life in the universe, but make the vast majority of it unintelligent. Because that's probably how it would be.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 08, 2016, 03:16:50 PM
Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Jan 08, 2016, 02:55:19 PMIt can still be thrown around that we've encountered "loads", but not all of them have to appear. Just flesh out one or two more, but leave the rest to be hunted by Predators in some cool short story or something. It leaves room for very creative designs and cultures.

I'd rather intelligent life be kept to absolute minimum. By all means have lots of life in the universe, but make the vast majority of it unintelligent. Because that's probably how it would be.

I suspect that intelligent life blossoms wherever any life at all blooms but it just blows itself up within about 10,000 years of inventing the wheel.  So the odds of there being multiple instances of intelligent life in the universe seem slim, but who knows?  For the purposes of the Alien universe, it may be interesting to find multiple intelligent species who are quite simply long gone.  That's more eerie and somehow consistent with the first Alien film.  "looks like its been dead a long time.... fossilized".

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jan 08, 2016, 03:23:53 PMI suspect that intelligent life blossoms wherever any life at all blooms but it just blows itself up within about 10,000 years of inventing the wheel.

I highly doubt that. If it happens so readily, why aren't there more sentient species like humans out of the millions that are on Earth? Because it's not easy.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Jan 08, 2016, 02:55:19 PM
I'd love to see some battle of wits in Predator Life and Death, maybe the Engineers might appear and use technology to repel both humans and Yautja.

I was a bit disappointed we didn't see the Engineer whip out any cool tech to fight Ahab. I hope he'll use some technology in Life and Death!

QuoteImagine a reverse Dutch scenario, where the Predator crafts traps for the Engineer, where he realizes "holy crap, this prey is too deadly to face one on one" and starts being a proper hunter than a warrior, intent on claiming that trophy through tactical thinking rather than chest pounding pride.

That is something I would absolutely love to see.

Just a few is fine. We don't want to oversaturate it but a few would give good fodder for more story diversity.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 08, 2016, 03:26:29 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jan 08, 2016, 03:23:53 PMI suspect that intelligent life blossoms wherever any life at all blooms but it just blows itself up within about 10,000 years of inventing the wheel.

I highly doubt that. If it happens so readily, why aren't there more sentient species like humans out of the millions that are on Earth? Because it's not easy.

This is highly speculative obviously.  I expect Natural selection would prevent multiple species from evolving that are intelligent.  For example, if we suddenly noticed that dogs became capable of listening to what we do and then telling others or if they started building bombs, we'd wipe them out.  I mean look at the way we treat other human beings.  Every significantly powerful nation is trying to outdo other nations for fear of being replaced at the top of the pecking order.  It is natural that intelligent species like ours will fight each other as long as they use language, which they would have to in order to communicate (unless they're telepathic).  The simple fact of a planet being large enough to sustain life means that there will be wars among different intelligent species and even the same species.  For example, because the distances between cultures are so vast, different sounds are assigned to ideas for communicative purposes.  This is how we get different languages.  Everyone wants their language to dominate to make their own life easier, so we get wars.

Intelligence along the lines of ours IS likely extremely rare.  On our own planet it took many millions of years of evolution for one species to do what we do.  And yet the language and culture conflicts persist.  If we don't resolve them to everyone's mutual satisfaction, we'll probably blow ourselves up eventually.  That's just a matter of time.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jan 08, 2016, 03:23:53 PM

I suspect that intelligent life blossoms wherever any life at all blooms but it just blows itself up within about 10,000 years of inventing the wheel.  So the odds of there being multiple instances of intelligent life in the universe seem slim, but who knows?  For the purposes of the Alien universe, it may be interesting to find multiple intelligent species who are quite simply long gone.  That's more eerie and somehow consistent with the first Alien film.  "looks like its been dead a long time.... fossilized".

BTW, when I say blossoms, I don't mean that it appears everywhere.  I mean that one species at some point in time blossoms, or surfaces...

RakaiThwei

Agreed.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Imagine a reverse Dutch scenario, where the Predator crafts traps for the Engineer, where he realizes "holy crap, this prey is too deadly to face one on one" and starts being a proper hunter than a warrior, intent on claiming that trophy through tactical thinking rather than chest pounding pride.

That would be really neat. A Predator getting in over his head and having to survive could make a great story.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 08, 2016, 03:27:06 PM

I was a bit disappointed we didn't see the Engineer whip out any cool tech to fight Ahab. I hope he'll use some technology in Life and Death!

Same here. The second and third issues of Predator:FaS had such a great build-up, with the mountains of dead xenomorphs, that I was really hoping the Engineer would pull out some super-advanced tech or something when he fought Ahab. That's why the solicitation for Life and Death has me somewhat optimistic that we'll see Engineer tech other than the black goo. Either way, I hope that the Engineers have a bit more context in the new comics. FaS sort of had them (was there more than one in that series?) just wandering around "being mysterious."

happypred

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 08, 2016, 08:10:27 AM
Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 08, 2016, 12:02:34 AMImagine a reverse Dutch scenario, where the Predator crafts traps for the Engineer

Yep...would have been more interesting than a fistfight
Predators are hunters, not boxers. Look at how Ahab took out the four armed aliens. With stealth

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed