What made you a fan?

Started by Vader the White, Mar 10, 2007, 10:37:25 PM

Author
What made you a fan? (Read 154,194 times)

kirscheim

kirscheim

there's just some things you have to love because they are badass and cool.

predators
cheese burgers
navy warships
american muscle cars
vikings

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Prez on Feb 21, 2017, 06:09:26 AM
Quote from: windebieste on Feb 21, 2017, 03:12:34 AM
Oh, nice.  I saw 'ALIEN' and 'ALIEN 3' each on their opening nights.  I'd actually forgotten I'd seen 'ALIEN 3' when it was released until I found my old free complimentary ticket to the movie.  Normally, such tickets are surrendered at the door but somehow I managed to keep mine.  I did attend the session with a large group from the Melbourne Science Fiction Club, so that may have influenced the outcome.

I may have seen 'ALIENS' on opening night too, but I can't justify that claim.   There's a good chance I may have (The MSFC would often receive such promotional tickets) and I did see the movie with a group of friends from that club.  A club I've been a member of for over 30 years, now.

All the movies since then, I've just attended standard theatrical sessions.  So, yeah.  I have at least seen all the movies at the cinema the first time I've watched 'em.  Some of them on opening night. 

Right now, I'm thinking if I get the opportunity, I might head north to Sydney for the 'ALIEN: Covenant' opening night.  I think that would be fun.   That is, if I can get tickets.

-Windebieste.

I saw Aliens on premiere night here in Adelaide way back in the mid 80s - won tickets from a local radio station. I still have some of the gifts given out that night. See the link below.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKHzT6djq40/?taken-by=waynepsaila

Those are awesome! Do you remember what else they gave away?

DukeNewsum

DukeNewsum

I have all the old comic books and was obsessed throughout my whole childhood lol

GreybackElder

GreybackElder

Loved the suspense and mystery of Aliens/Alien.What happened on LV-426!?? Why did a space Jockey ship land there? What happened to those engineers!?! The list of questions goes on and on and that's part of the Allure of the franchise to me. Not to mention the design of the creature itself. Simply Alien in every sense of the word. I love how action oriented the Predator was. There was something mysterious and fascinating about a super advanced Alien race that reviled in the hunting and killing of man. Loved the Dicotomy of the Predator! How could something so advanced with technology be so "primative" at the same time. Very cool!

Stanton

Stanton

I gradually developed my taste for Ridley Scott's original Alien. What made me a fan was Aliens, the movie, on vhs.

Vermillion

Vermillion

I first saw Aliens in Canada on First Choice/Super Channel back in the late 1980s. 

NeoXenoPred

NeoXenoPred

I become a fan when i bought AvP Requiem for my PSP. I thought the Aliens were cool, but i got to play as Pred. After that i browse some game about AvP and Movies and since that i have become an Alien fan.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Became a fan after playing AvP Classic in 1999 and watching Aliens and Alien 3 shortly after.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

What put you onto the game?

Scorpio

Scorpio

Alien Resurrection.  In 2 days it will be exactly 20 years since I first saw it.  I was sixteen at the time.  Such great memories.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 29, 2017, 01:52:43 PM
Quote from: Prez on Feb 21, 2017, 06:09:26 AM
Quote from: windebieste on Feb 21, 2017, 03:12:34 AM
Oh, nice.  I saw 'ALIEN' and 'ALIEN 3' each on their opening nights.  I'd actually forgotten I'd seen 'ALIEN 3' when it was released until I found my old free complimentary ticket to the movie.  Normally, such tickets are surrendered at the door but somehow I managed to keep mine.  I did attend the session with a large group from the Melbourne Science Fiction Club, so that may have influenced the outcome.

I may have seen 'ALIENS' on opening night too, but I can't justify that claim.   There's a good chance I may have (The MSFC would often receive such promotional tickets) and I did see the movie with a group of friends from that club.  A club I've been a member of for over 30 years, now.

All the movies since then, I've just attended standard theatrical sessions.  So, yeah.  I have at least seen all the movies at the cinema the first time I've watched 'em.  Some of them on opening night. 

Right now, I'm thinking if I get the opportunity, I might head north to Sydney for the 'ALIEN: Covenant' opening night.  I think that would be fun.   That is, if I can get tickets.

-Windebieste.

I saw Aliens on premiere night here in Adelaide way back in the mid 80s - won tickets from a local radio station. I still have some of the gifts given out that night. See the link below.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKHzT6djq40/?taken-by=waynepsaila

Those are awesome! Do you remember what else they gave away?
I am not 100% sure, but I have a 3D ALIENS blue button from 1986 (via eBay) that could have been from premiere night(s). I also have a couple ALIEN3 promotion buttons as well from 1992 (again, from eBay).

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 28, 2017, 11:40:25 AM
What put you onto the game?
The demo of the game was included on a PC Gamer magazine disc. There was 1 level for each species, the levels were a bit different from the final game actually. Also, I had just received a Voodoo 3 graphics card so everything was running super smooth.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Voodoo! Old school.  :laugh: I still love and play Classic every now and again.

Gash

Gash

Firstly, the ALIEN novelisation.
Then 'The Book of ALIEN'
Then the film itself.
The soundtrack LP
Then Giger's ALIEN
Then the Photo Novel
The MPC model Kit

First VHS tape I bought was ALIEN
First DVD I bought was ALIEN, upgraded to a DVD player only because of ALIEN and its deleted scenes.

Blu Ray player I bought because of Prometheus I think. (Didn't do 3D though)

Basically different presentations of ALIEN have usually instigated the move to the next best way of viewing film.

My fan adoration of ALIEN goes right back to the very start, loving the story even before I knew what anything in the film looked like. I read the book and pictured the Nostromo and the crew in a completely different way, and obviously also the alien itself. Seeing the The Book of ALIEN hooked me into the complexity of the visuals that went into making it.

farsightblogger

farsightblogger

On Sunday the 11th of July 1982, when I was very young, I sneakily watched Alien when it was first broadcast on UK TV. I was also there opening night for Aliens.

I had never seen anything like it. I was bought up on the 'Star Wars' movies and one of my favourite shows was 'Star Trek' – it was all very bright and full of adventure. There were heroes and baddies and cute bleeping robots.

Then darkness. The universe was suddenly a dangerous and scary place to be.

And I loved it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed