The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 463,785 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Last fifteen minutes of a 30hr game, patched. (Or 70hr Trilogy) Isn't comparable to the last six hours of a 74 hour television series.

A rewritten Final Season (And perhaps penultimate Season), if you wanted to "repair it" is the only option.

Or, most likely, we wait for
The Winds of Winter & A Dream Of Spring,
then a rebooted series.

Local Trouble

Is it more like the unfinished KOTOR2?

The Old One

The Old One

GoT is a unique cultural phenomenon.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

We know what GRRM has actually said: big differences with regard to secondary characters.  If the books end the same way, I can't imagine that any reboot will diverge from that.

The Old One

The Old One

A similar ending, (apparently) not identical. The Season around the ending is the error, the idea of the ending itself? No.

Six years is a long time for things to change. And the years yet to come.
"There may be big differences."

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Granted, he said it would take an additional five seasons to cover his last two books.  I'm hoping that doesn't mean more dead-end subplots about the Iron Islands or Dorne though.

Quite frankly, I'm most interested to see what role (if any) Lady Stoneheart plays in the outcome.

The Old One

The Old One

I imagine they won't be dead end.
As for Lady Stoneheart, I expect nothing honestly.
I do however, expect more from the Lord of Light,  Stannis Baratheon and perhaps the Night's King.

Rudiger

Rudiger

Did I miss the line where Danny tells her dragon to burn the big lump of metal?

Highland

Highland

The endings that people want seem to be just your stock standard Childrens Cartoon endings which is weird for a show that was quite deep from the start. I mean I get why it was a bit shit, but I've not seen a better ending yet.

The only one that comes remotely close would be the Night King winning, which would prolly never happen.

Rudiger

Rudiger

Quote from: Highland on May 21, 2019, 08:55:09 AM
The endings that people want seem to be just your stock standard Childrens Cartoon endings which is weird for a show that was quite deep from the start. I mean I get why it was a bit shit, but I've not seen a better ending yet.

The only one that comes remotely close would be the Night King winning, which would prolly never happen.

The one thing I always liked about GoT was the fact that nobody was safe. Any character could snuff it at any moment. The moment the tv series moved ahead of the books, it felt like we were back in the land of conventional tv, where ratings and focus groups and market research rule, and nothing particularly distressing is allowed to happen for fear of losing audience share. It lost its ability to shock and started playing safe.

A darker ending would have been a better fit for me. Give Danny more time to go off the rails and end it with Jon realising the mortal peril he and sisters were in. I can watch all sorts of other crap and get my fix of happy endings. I liked GoT for its dark heart.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Rudiger on May 21, 2019, 09:46:02 AM

The one thing I always liked about GoT was the fact that nobody was safe. Any character could snuff it at any moment. The moment the tv series moved ahead of the books, it felt like we were back in the land of conventional tv, where ratings and focus groups and market research rule, and nothing particularly distressing is allowed to happen for fear of losing audience share. It lost its ability to shock and started playing safe.

A darker ending would have been a better fit for me. Give Danny more time to go off the rails and end it with Jon realising the mortal peril he and sisters were in. I can watch all sorts of other crap and get my fix of happy endings. I liked GoT for its dark heart.

Spoiler
Yeah to me it already felt like we got a children's cartoon ending where everyone was safe. All the main heroes going in lived. Jon. Arya. Sansa. Bran. Tyrion. Brienne. Samwell. Was it risky writing to kill the Hound? All the villains died.

And how conveniently lovely was the punishment for Jon which all the unsullied agreed to for killing their Queen. To me it's so comical, it still makes me cringe. All the main heroes lived, and all the villians died including of course for the contrived 15 minute turn to madness and back Dany. That felt like teen fiction right there.
[close]

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Total fairlytale ending, and unearned.

Rudiger

Rudiger

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 21, 2019, 10:57:43 AM
Quote from: Rudiger on May 21, 2019, 09:46:02 AM

Spoiler
Yeah to me it already felt like we got a children's cartoon ending where everyone was safe. All the main heroes going in lived. Jon. Arya. Sansa. Bran. Tyrion. Brienne. Samwell. Was it risky writing to kill the Hound? All the villains died.

And how conveniently lovely was the punishment for Jon which all the unsullied agreed to for killing their Queen. To me it's so comical, it still makes me cringe. All the main heroes lived, and all the villians died including of course for the contrived 15 minute turn to madness and back Dany. That felt like teen fiction right there.
[close]

Indeed. What was the point of
Spoiler
sending Jon back to the wall? The Wildlings were no longer enemies, the white walkers were all gone, so what was he doing up there? And who rebuilt the damn wall? It got trashed by blue dragon fire but now looked fully rebuilt.
[close]

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Rudiger on May 21, 2019, 11:10:08 AM
Indeed. What was the point of
Spoiler
sending Jon back to the wall? The Wildlings were no longer enemies, the white walkers were all gone, so what was he doing up there? And who rebuilt the damn wall? It got trashed by blue dragon fire but now looked fully rebuilt.
[close]

Spoiler
The Night's Watch is essentially a penal camp, which it has been for centuries. The Wildlings remain lawless, so there's still a likelihood of them launching raids into the North.

Viserion only brought down a small section of wall near the east coast. The Wall runs across the width of the continent for hundreds of miles, and the main gate, at Castle Black, is in the middle. You wouldn't be able to see the gap from there.

I think the real question in all of this is why the Unsullied didn't just execute Jon on sight, but also having imprisoned him, why they'd consent to sending him off to the Wall before leaving the continent themselves. They're the only ones who wanted Jon punished, so what's to stop the Westerosi from just releasing him from his vows, now that they've gone?
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed