The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 463,778 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Laufey on May 12, 2014, 07:58:23 PM
The stuff with Yara was sweet, but short. I was glad we finally got to see her in action.

The action was indeed great, but something about
Spoiler
Ramsay fighting like that felt a bit off to me. Not sure why.
[close]

Bender1988

Bender1988

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 12, 2014, 08:34:45 PM
Quote from: Laufey on May 12, 2014, 07:58:23 PM
The stuff with Yara was sweet, but short. I was glad we finally got to see her in action.

The action was indeed great, but something about
Spoiler
Ramsay fighting like that felt a bit off to me. Not sure why.
[close]
Spoiler
maybe it is because he was bear chested-no armor-but it was probably better for close combat...who knows...the scene was too quick-too fast paces or something
[close]

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

That episode: Holy Shit.

Xenodog

Xenodog

Don't know why everyone was moaning about Yara's scene. Short, action-packed, gave us some much needed screen time with Theon / Ramsay. I liked it.

Spoiler
Danaery's scene was good.

Tyrion's trial unsurprisingly stole the show. Dance and Dinklage rocked everything.
[close]

Eva

Eva

I had a giggle when Mycroft Holmes himself turned up as head of the Iron Bank. The Braavos scenery was really well done. But the showstopper was the trial and how truth is mixed with lies and omissions in the respective testimonies against Tyrion in such ways that lies become alternative versions of the truth.

Peter Dinklage rules!

PS:

Spoiler
F**k the king!
[close]

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: Eva on May 12, 2014, 09:48:38 PM
Spoiler
F**k the king!
[close]

Awww yeahhhh! :laugh:

Spoiler
I don't understand why Ramsay was covered in blood when he shows up in the scene with Yara. Wtf, did he kill his hoe or were they trying to portray that he'd fought his way there?
[close]

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

Quote from: Xenodog on May 12, 2014, 09:34:55 PM
Don't know why everyone was moaning about Yara's scene. Short, action-packed, gave us some much needed screen time with Theon / Ramsay. I liked it.

Spoiler
Because it was filler. When I saw the previews, I was genuinely perplexed with how it would end, considering both characters can't die at this point. This was indeed that case since Yara just ran away and Ramsay decided not to press the advantage...why? That was the most awkward edit I've ever seen. Not to mention Ramsay running into battle in god mode without armor was the single most unbelievable thing this show has ever done. If GRRM complained about lack of helmets, he must have rolled his eyes to the back of his head when he saw this.

It just seems like if we needed to see more Yara, why not have her on the Iron Islands and get to know that culture a little more. There is plenty they could draw from books.

The scene after was great though.
[close]

Xenodog

Xenodog

Quote from: RagingDragon on May 12, 2014, 10:34:33 PM
Spoiler
F**k the king!
[close]

Spoiler
I don't understand why Ramsay was covered in blood when he shows up in the scene with Yara. Wtf, did he kill his hoe or were they trying to portray that he'd fought his way there?
[close]

Thought it was pretty obvious his girlfriend is a scratcher... :laugh:

And Yellow Alien;
Spoiler
Good filler though. Resolved the non-book pledge Yara made and showed just how nuts Theon is; he doesn't believe he's Theon anymore and rejects rescue.

Armour has saved literally no character in any item of fiction where they wear armour EVER. It's not that unbelievable at all.
[close]

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

A vest in LOTR does though lol.

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

Quote from: Xenodog on May 12, 2014, 11:21:16 PM
And Yellow Alien;
Spoiler
Good filler though. Resolved the non-book pledge Yara made and showed just how nuts Theon is; he doesn't believe he's Theon anymore and rejects rescue.

Armour has saved literally no character in any item of fiction where they wear armour EVER. It's not that unbelievable at all.
[close]

Spoiler
It felt rushed though; Yara gives this grand speech and then not 5 minutes later she turns tail and runs. The Iron Born already looked bad before, not its just embarrassing. I'd argue that they shouldn't have even developed that Yara rescue plot, it seems they wrote themselves into a corner where nothing satisfying would come from it. Considering what will be coming up with the Greyjoys, they should have just gone with that.

And having him wear armor in battle may not visually depict the saving of his life, but it does add realism. Realism and believability is one of the reasons why ASOIAF and Game of Thrones are as esteemed as they are, it starts getting a little silly when those traits start to be ignored.

Plus, how much better would that scene have been if Ramsay burst in there wearing badass Bolton armor?
[close]

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

True yellow Alien, but I think the scene afterwards made that subplot powerful.

Xenodog

Xenodog

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on May 12, 2014, 11:30:13 PM
And Yellow Alien;
Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
It felt rushed though; Yara gives this grand speech and then not 5 minutes later she turns tail and runs. The Iron Born already looked bad before, not its just embarrassing. I'd argue that they shouldn't have even developed that Yara rescue plot, it seems they wrote themselves into a corner where nothing satisfying would come from it. Considering what will be coming up with the Greyjoys, they should have just gone with that.

And having him wear armor in battle may not visually depict the saving of his life, but it does add realism. Realism and believability is one of the reasons why ASOIAF and Game of Thrones are as esteemed as they are, it starts getting a little silly when those traits start to be ignored.

Plus, how much better would that scene have been if Ramsay burst in there wearing badass Bolton armor?
[close]

Spoiler
I agree they wrote themselves into a corner with it, I think this was a good way to get them out and showcase a bit more of Theon's madness.

With the one exception Erik pointed out (ok there may be a few more) I think too many red shirts and main characters have died in fiction with armour on that it makes a difference anymore, even with believability.
Plus how else would they show his girlfriend used her claws..
[close]

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Spoiler
F**k the king!
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

And Yellow Alien;
Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
Aside from Ser Jorah catching the blade of the dothraki horselord in season 1 against his armor and then splitting his face open.
[close]

Or Book five SPOILER.

Spoiler
Ser Barristan fighting whats his nuts pit fighter in book five where the pit fighter is not used to fighting men and armor and Barristan guts him with ease.
[close]

For those that read the book.

Spoiler
I think the scene feels off because despite Ramsay's penchant for torture he was not known to be a great swordsman.  He was known to be a bit of a brute on the battlefield where he flailed away at his opponents but didn't use much in the way of swordsmanship.
[close]

I also miss some of the secondary characters like book spoils
Spoiler
Balon Swann who fought with Tyrion at the blackwater and later defends him at the trial saying he was a brave man and that he couldn't see him poisoning the king even though he had to mention that Tyrion threatened the king.  Also people like the Greatjon who disliked Robb Stark at first and loved him at the end.  It just makes it seem like these guys had no support when they did.  Minor gripes but I have a feeling that Balon Swann will be instrumental in book six whereas Arys Oakheart was obviously instrumental in book four. 
[close]

Xenodog

Xenodog

Quote from: Kimarhi on May 13, 2014, 06:36:19 AM
Spoiler
F**k the king!
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

And Yellow Alien;
Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
Aside from Ser Jorah catching the blade of the dothraki horselord in season 1 against his armor and then splitting his face open.
[close]

Or Book five SPOILER.

Spoiler
Ser Barristan fighting whats his nuts pit fighter in book five where the pit fighter is not used to fighting men and armor and Barristan guts him with ease.
[close]

For those that read the book.

Spoiler
I think the scene feels off because despite Ramsay's penchant for torture he was not known to be a great swordsman.  He was known to be a bit of a brute on the battlefield where he flailed away at his opponents but didn't use much in the way of swordsmanship.
[close]

I also miss some of the secondary characters like book spoils
Spoiler
Balon Swann who fought with Tyrion at the blackwater and later defends him at the trial saying he was a brave man and that he couldn't see him poisoning the king even though he had to mention that Tyrion threatened the king.  Also people like the Greatjon who disliked Robb Stark at first and loved him at the end.  It just makes it seem like these guys had no support when they did.  Minor gripes but I have a feeling that Balon Swann will be instrumental in book six whereas Arys Oakheart was obviously instrumental in book four. 
[close]

I'm not sure about Ramsay being a bit of a brute in fights...was ever in a big battle in the books?

But yeah, I agree on the peripheral characters like Greatjon and the rest of Robb's northern lords. There were quite a few of them feature in Season 1 (as well as Kevan Lannister and non-northern characters) and then they just sort of dissapeared after.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Bronn already established in the first season that armour slows you down, so the lack of it doesn't in itself break plausibility. We already know Evil Frodo thinks a little differently to everyone else.

What doesn't sit very well with me is how someone with no notable history in battle or particular training privilege would be a Darth Sidious-like swordsman. Or that such a mean-spirited little creature with rampant inadequacy issues would be able to inspire more than a half-hearted grunt in the bedroom department. And how exactly did he explain the slaughter of a patrol of his own men last season? There's a lot about that guy that makes me scratch my head.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed