Recent posts

Alien Films / Re: Alien3 Legacy Cut
Last post by Local Trouble - Today at 10:07:33 PM
Of all of Alien 3's problems, committing to the premise of the convicts being scum who deserve to be where they are isn't one of them.  I'd leave "child molesters" right where it is.  It's one of the few things that's genuinely interesting about the movie.
Recreational Area / Re: What made you happy today?
Last post by BlueMarsalis79 - Today at 10:02:18 PM
A great new group.
Last post by BlueMarsalis79 - Today at 10:01:19 PM
Damn, what a pity.

I can understand cutting
Spoiler
"child molesters"
[close]
for pretty obvious reasons. But honestly do not believe in "fan cuts" in terms of changing the material (purely for accessibility reasons) of the film itself.

Alien 5 / Re: Alien V - Facts and Rumors...
Last post by [cancerblack] - Today at 09:53:58 PM
Huh.
Last post by Mike’s Monsters - Today at 09:50:22 PM
Bingo!

Talk about keeping true to the originals, right?
Last post by DaveT937 - Today at 09:45:55 PM
Human DNA?!?! WTAF?!?!
Last post by Local Trouble - Today at 09:20:22 PM
The current trend of bowdlerization is bad enough when the studios are doing it.  Now it's the f**king fans too?

QuoteThis narrative choice may be a controversial one, but it was a decision I made early on in the project, and I still haven't been able to talk myself out of it.

Last post by SiL - Today at 09:09:34 PM
QuoteThis narrative choice may be a controversial one, but it was a decision I made early on in the project, and I still haven't been able to talk myself out of it.

It's something of an understatement to say there aren't many likeable characters to latch onto in  Alien ³. We're not dealing with a crew of relatable space truckers towing cargo, or a rag-tag team of colonial marines. Ripley's peers this time are " thieves, rapists, murders, child molesters. All scum".

The characters we can attach ourselves to are limited to Ripley, Clemens, Dillon, and later Morse and Aaron. Among the supporting characters, the most engaging of them is probably Dillon. While second chances and hope for redemption are good things, and fantastic narrative devices, when Dillon tells Ripley "I'm a murderer and rapist of women", it just obliterates any ability I have to cheer for him in any real way.

He's not a good man, he's has a dark past and has done some terrible things, or he wouldn't be here. But in cutting out that one line, those seven little words, we never really know for sure. In doing so, it just opens me up more to accepting his redemption arc when he sacrifices himself at the end.

The scene really does flow quite perfectly without it, and it's edited seamlessly. Had I not mentioned it here you probably wouldn't even have noticed the cut. Dillon tells Ripley "You don't wanna know me, lady". She is taken aback and asks, "Really?... I guess I must make you nervous." Why wouldn't she? It's a prison colony full of men who haven't seen a woman in years. Many of them are here for raping or murdering women, some of them both. She wonders... what brought Dillon here?

Rousing speeches are great, protecting Ripley is great, but having raped and murdered not even one "woman", but multiple "women", just completely writes Dillon off for me. I can't get past it, and I always really, really want to like Dillon and root for him. The knowing he has something truly awful to make amends for, but never knowing the specifics, just makes him more interesting, engaging, and potentially even sympathetic as a character.

This person should not be touching Alien3 and I've lost all interest in seeing this.
Last post by Mike’s Monsters - Today at 09:02:00 PM
So sorry for the delay! I got hit with a copyright claim and then the new edit kept corrupting on export thanks to my frustratingly awesome technology. BUT, the video is finally ready!!!

To reiterate, this isn't me spilling the whole plot of the movie. I do share some juicy details that haven't been released though. This is mainly a timeline going over what has been reported, with some notes from me. I think the new info is pretty big though, it's what really made me turn on the idea of the project, along with other things I can't share on this date.

Enjoy!

FX's Alien Series / Re: Noah Hawley Explains Why ‘...
Last post by GrimmVision - Today at 08:51:48 PM
I don't know that Scott would be on board with producing if story elements and timelines actually clashed with what's already been established by the prequels and sequels. Or maybe I'll eat my words when we finally get a concrete feel for what this project is. :-X
AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed