Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 758,061 times)

SM

SM

It makes more sense for it just jump on someone right away.  Hicks was just there on the dropship alone and unprotected.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 25, 2018, 04:50:20 AM
The Facehuggers obviously ran for the hills when the airlock opened, under a grating- inside a vent and voilà.
When the Facehuggers return, the crew's in cryosleep.

Or the Queen commanded them, as a genetic backup- hence one of them being a (potential) Queen Facehugger in the first place.

After E.R's experiences,
I don't believe anything else.

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 20, 2018, 11:00:02 AM
It's exactly what I've stated multiple times now; it was the intention during shooting that it was an unclear amount of surviving Facehuggers
that hitched a ride and waited until the humans were at their most vulnerable.

The egg was a studio insert, from the mentality that "these things have to come from an egg" creating a needless point of contention.
One that we're still discussing, if you don't care about the way the film should have been edited together being the real explanation;
Then in order to take it at face value, with it being in a place it couldn't possibly be. I only have this to say;

"I had a terrible dream in cryosleep."

There, done- finito.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Then Ripley and Bishop would have done something about it when they found Hicks. They could only freeze him at the moment, but the facehugger could think they had more tools or whatever. If it had attacked right away, the events on Alien 3 wouldn't happen, so the others would have made it back to Earth, remove it maybe and the aliens would lose.

Maybe royal facehuggers are a little different, more cautious. We don't know how facehuggers behave with the other aliens, the Queen could have told it to standby.

Inverse Effect

Inverse Effect

Basically they could cut the eggs out on the opening and the plot would still make sense? Escaped facehuggers!?!! o0ooohh spooky :D

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed.

Then Special Edition Opening +
Spoiler

I believe this is important because it's as The Fifth Element would say;
A little light of life, it's a moment of hope the film desperately needs.
The descent between the prisoners reminds me of the
"Parker. Shut up!" scene in Alien, in regards to how they
could possibly kill the Alien. You could take it or leave it.
But I wouldn't leave it.

"I was violated. And now I get to be mother of the year."
In addition to what I said earlier on this scene,
it raises the stakes because the implication is that
if this thing gets off Fiorina 161- not Earth,
not humanity, but all life, is at stake-
"wipe out the whole universe" & I believe it,
because this is Sigourney Weaver's best performance.

"This is as good a place as any to take our first steps to Heaven".
The extended speech and score is superior, no explanation required.

Before the chase & bait begins,
there's several tiny scenes showing how the different prisoners
react to their situation, I think that's fairly appropriate-
to get you aqquainted with where everyone is in the tunnels.
Rather than one scene of David criticising the plan.
Although- why not both?

"I think I've found Vincent!"
Speaks for itself doesn't it? lol
Mysterious Mark Vincent.

"Improvising!"
Not necessary but love this scene.
Especially Ripley's reaction.

"And then it's over."
"I'm not a droid!"
"No pictures!"
Included for obvious reasons.

I believe Ripley would pause for contemplation,
so I prefer her death in the AC-
although I think the "You're crazy." Line is... eh.

No chestburster
but no bad slo-mo.
More graceful fall in a cross position.
In tune with the film's thematics.

*Patch the "mo-motion" composites.

Alien³ The Final Cut
[close]

CainsSon

CainsSon

Psssst! ... It's a mystery. As in, the answer isn't given because they want it to remain a mystery. It's not important to the plot because the alien represents Ripley's guilt in the 3rd film. Vincent Ward explains his decision to leave it ambiguous this way, in the documentary on A3 on the Anthology.

In the future, perhaps we will discover that maybe David put it there.

The Old One

The Old One

No, it's not a mystery.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 20, 2019, 04:09:52 AM
No, it's not a mystery.

This entire thread is proof that it's appearance implied mysterious circumstances. At the very least, it was deliberately left ambiguous, as per Ward's description (ie; its a mystery).

The prequels have further made it's appearance a plausible conspiracy, although I always assumed it would have been explained as a company conspiracy, or as some escaped Hadley's Hope nut or something.

The more specific allusion its inclusion tried to achieve, was turn Ripley into the Virgin Mary for the Alien. This theme was further driven home by the events with Shaw in Prometheus and David in Covenant.

The Old One

The Old One

True, but...

Spoiler

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 20, 2018, 11:00:02 AM
It was the intention during shooting that it was an unclear amount of surviving Facehuggers
that hitched a ride and waited until the humans were at their most vulnerable.

(The Facehuggers obviously ran for the hills when the airlock opened, under a grating- inside a vent and voilà.
When the Facehuggers return, the crew's in cryosleep.)

The egg was a studio insert, from the mentality that "these things have to come from an egg" creating a needless point of contention.
One that we're still discussing, if you don't care about the way the film should have been edited together being the real explanation;
Then in order to take it at face value, with it being in a place it couldn't possibly be. I only have this to say;

"I had a terrible dream in cryosleep."
-Ellen Ripley

[close]

Mystery Solved.

P-Rock

P-Rock

There's no mystery. It's a plot hole, which defenders of the movie try to explain by letting their fantasies run wild and then present it as some kind of fact.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: P-Rock on Feb 20, 2019, 11:51:20 AMIt's a plot hole, which defenders of the movie try to explain by letting their fantasies run wild and then present it as some kind of fact.

I'm a defender of Alien 3, and I've never once tried to argue there's a logical explanation for the egg. In fact, I've argued the opposite.

P-Rock

P-Rock

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 20, 2019, 12:10:59 PM
Quote from: P-Rock on Feb 20, 2019, 11:51:20 AMIt's a plot hole, which defenders of the movie try to explain by letting their fantasies run wild and then present it as some kind of fact.

I'm a defender of Alien 3, and I've never once tried to argue there's a logical explanation for the egg. In fact, I've argued the opposite.

I didn't say 'all'.

It's a fact though that people who generally like/love the movie are more inclined to come up with some sort of alternative fact to explain the presence of the egg.

The Old One

The Old One

I'm not presenting a fan explanation. I'm presenting the IRL reason from the shooting script.

The 'Terrible dream in cryosleep.' statement is how I'm able to overlook the mistake within the context of the narrative however.

Huggs

Huggs

What if it pulled event horizon, and the Sulaco became self-aware and did it itself?

The Old One

The Old One

:laugh: I don't know why you'd set yourself on fire.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed