Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 757,735 times)

windebieste

windebieste

Is that the theory where the Queen is still capable of producing premature offspring without the need for the egg sac?  The egg sac is only an incubator for growing the eggs.  Yeah.  I subscribe to the that theory but have my own spin on it.

If you accept the The Queen is still capable of creating offspring, then all you have to do is connect that offspring to the egg on the ceiling in the hypersleep room.  It's not that hard to do, actually.  As we can't know everything about the Queen then there's plenty of leeway to do so. 

Here's my take on the entire sequence regarding getting that egg in place.  It's a lengthy read, but it's all there... 

The Queen drops a few proto face huggers on to the deck from the remains of the part of its body that was attached to the eggsac.  These protofacehuggers, as speculation permits, are only partially formed.  To become a complete facehugger, they need the egg; and as the eggsac is not present they lack the necessary environment to become fully formed via conventional/accepted means.

Let's just say that these incomplete facehuggers are capable of one thing during this very vulnerable stage - SURVIVAL.  They lack the grasping spindly legs but their tail and other functionality is present.  They are the most rudimentary stage of the facehugger that is capable of survival.  The strong tail is capable on its own to make the proto facehugger (earlier in this thread I referred to this stage as a 'spore' but it was clearly misunderstood - so I'm spelling the concept out more clearly here).

These are dropped during the fight between Ripley and the Queen.  As to whether they get noticed by anyone?  Let's just say they don't for the sake of getting an explanation happening here. 

Anyway the proto facehuggers are still highly mobile and IMMEDIATELY use their strong tails to seek cover.  Blink and you miss it move.  Just think of the spring loaded tail suddenly propelling the spore and you can imagine how easier it would be to miss during that scene which was loaded with commotion, anyway. 

They find cover, migrate around the ship and by the time Ripley's 2 minute confrontation with the Queen is over, they've already found safe cover. 

Ripley and co. then hit the sack, and these proto facehuggers are still loose on the ship.  Hell, maybe even Bishop knows they are there.   He seems to anyway as indicated by dialogue in the third movie. 

So, they go to sleep and these proto facehuggers are free roaming around the ship and need a place to 'roost'.  The ship powers down (I've outlined this process above somewhere above as to why this is necessary.)  Gravity is reduced to 10, maybe 20%.  The reduced gravity affords (at least one) of the proto facehuggers even greater mobility and it attaches itself to the ceiling in the hypersleep pod chamber.  It nestles there because it knows that potential hosts are resting nearby.  At this stage, it's still essentially just a tail attached to some organs in a ball bag, needing a safe place to mature.

Now, it needs to grow.  So it sends out tendrils and it roots itself in place using the very ceiling as a place to grow an egg around it so it can mature fully inside. It keeps increasing in size on the ceiling while it draws nutrients from the conduits, pipes and airlines that would be in abundance in this location to service the hypersleep pods.  Eventually, it grows into a full size egg, hanging on the ceiling. 

Now, we know that the eggs are opened when someone else approaches them but no one is going to do so while they are all in hypersleep.  The nature of the inverted egg actually provides us with the triggering of the now matured facehugger.  Even at 10%, gravity would be adequate to disturb the growing contents of the egg(s).  It opens when the mass is pressing against the inside of the upside down flaps and the egg has no choice but to open and release the now fully formed facehugger onto the floor right next the occupied hypersleep pods.

So, yes.  It can be explained.  Is it canon?  No.  But without such speculations, we are at a loss how this egg came to be in this location.  I acknowledge that this theory may not be fully water tight - but there are other elements of these movies that lack credibility, too (artificial gravity for one, distance between planets is another, keep looking and you'll find all the debates strewn across these forums for more.)  There's always a threshold where we must accept that somehow this can be explained, though. 

Of course, some people DON'T WANT IT EXPLAINED for the simple reason it validates 'ALIEN 3's existence even more.  Well, I got News for you.  The movie has been around for nigh on a Quarter of a Century.  It's time to accept that.

-Windebieste.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: windebieste on Sep 11, 2016, 01:15:54 AMOf course, some people DON'T WANT IT EXPLAINED for the simple reason it validates 'ALIEN 3's existence even more.  Well, I got News for you.  The movie has been around for nigh on a Quarter of a Century.  It's time to accept that.

I don't think Vermillion wants it explained.

windebieste

windebieste

Rather than have the studio explain it, some people would rather a retcon. 

They'd rather have 70 year old Ripley run around with a flamethrower toasting aliens, left right and center.  They'd like to pretend that it's a better solution to excise half the series rather than make a 5th movie that retains continuity and attempts to explain this problem. 

They'd rather live in the past Glories of James Cameron and pretend it's still 1986.  Nonetheless, this situation has always been recoverable but some people just don't want that.

It's kind of sad, actually, that Fox chose to take the direction they did - and then mess it up.  Not messed  up entirely, just enough to make things difficult for everyone, themselves included.   It's too bad Blomkamp wasn't around to make this proposal in 1988.  Everyone would be on board with that!  Too bad that's not how things happened. 

1988... think about how many years that's been and the problems with his current proposal begin to show the deficiencies and challenges it needs to address now.  How different the whole series would have been if only someone had made his proposal almost 30 years ago...

I still want to see Blomkamp make an 'ALIEN 5' and he is also in a great position to responsibly tie this series together without unbalancing the whole series.  It's just saddening to see that he's embraced the most banal path possible.  A retcon is not favourable with everyone; and certainly not guaranteed to be a great movie. 

I hope he wakes up and realises that.  I hope he wakes up and realises he's in a great position to make everyone happy by delivering a movie that pleases just about everyone by not just pandering the anti 'ALIEN 3' Boo-Hoo Brigade.  About half the people don't want a retcon.  Yeah, it's a high ratio.  He can do better than that.

-Windebieste.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: windebieste on Sep 11, 2016, 02:19:15 AMThey'd rather have 70 year old Ripley run around with a flamethrower toasting aliens, left right and center.  They'd like to pretend that it's a better solution to excise half the series rather than make a 5th movie that retains continuity and attempts to explain this problem.

Fox is probably thinking "well, if Harrison Ford did it..."

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Winde, Winde, Winde.  Sigh.....................  Face palm.

There are no useful stats which show that 50% of the people don't want the retcon.  We have about 30 voters on here whose vote in the overall scheme of things is insignificant.  But assuming there is a 50% split, that still means 50% of the people don't want Alien 3 to remain in canon.  That kind of number does not apply to Alien and Aliens does it?  There's a reason for that.

I've accepted the fact that it is impossible to please everybody.  Why can't you be realistic and understand that nobody involved with the series wants to do a follow-up to Resurrection?  And if they don't want to do that, well it would make even less sense to squeeze in a follow-up to Alien 3.  Nobody will touch a sequel to either of those films with a ten foot pole.  So either they can can move forward in time and do some film post-Resurrection that is completely unrelated to that film and the main core Ripley-oriented story, or they can go straight for the golden opportunity of continuing from Aliens which arguably has a better chance of success as a film because it deals with characters and situations that a lot of people care about.  If you were in the producer's shoes, where would you put your money?  Be realistic.

"anti 'ALIEN 3' Boo-Hoo Brigade"?  Really?  What are we 5?  You don't see anybody calling you a member of the "anti-Blomkamp-Alien Boo Hoo Brigade"...

Anyway, back on topic.  Bishop probably did it.  Until Blomkamp's film happens, and then that rotten old tree just never fell in that forest.

windebieste

windebieste

There're also no useful statistics that support the retcon, either; but I can tell you, the number of people who are against it is substantial.

Oh, and I'm not anti Blomkamp, either.  I've stated it many times.   I'm all for him making a new entry in this series.  I just don't think his current retcon proposal is all that constructive.   It's banal, inane, childish and if anything...

it's aimed at 5 year olds.   :laugh:

Bishop probably did it.  Why not?  It's as valid a reason as any.

-Windebieste.

Local Trouble

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

The truth is Bishop could have done it while adhering to his code of morality.  He could have been thinking that he was doing it for the greater good.  The details of this greater good, the people on the mission were just not privy to.

Quote from: windebieste on Sep 11, 2016, 03:23:55 AM
There're also no useful statistics that support the retcon, either; but I can tell you, the number of people who are against it is substantial.

Oh, and I'm not anti Blomkamp, either.  I've stated it many times.   I'm all for him making a new entry in this series.  I just don't think his current retcon proposal is all that constructive.   It's banal, inane, childish and if anything...

it's aimed at 5 year olds.   :laugh:

Bishop probably did it.  Why not?  It's as valid a reason as any.

-Windebieste.

I don't care to spend the next 3 years of my life arguing about this retcon.  All I can say is that I really hope he does a good film and that he gets his chance to do it.  There is no implication that the film will have a Disney vibe, but am I concerned about that?  You bet.  Can he screw it up?  You bet.  Is it really worth it?  It's just a movie.  It's just a movie.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

How funny will it be when Blomkamp's retcon has infuriating continuity gaffes of its own?

windebieste

windebieste

You might even like to consider the possibility of a retcon, by its nature, to be a 'continuity gaffe'.

lol.

-Windebieste.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Have we reached a consensus yet?

SM

SM

QuoteThere're also no useful statistics that support the retcon, either; but I can tell you, the number of people who are against it is substantial.

When this dropped I spoke to a lot of people about it, many who are massive fans and involved in the franchise, and to a man, they were for it.

windebieste

windebieste

That's funny.   :D  Imagine, the skewed result you get when you're in a position to choose who to talk to.  lol.

You can't say there's 100% support for the retcon, though.  When that's simply just not the case. 

-Windebieste.

SM

SM

I didn't suggest there was 100% support.

Merely illustrating the uselessness of anecdotes.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 11, 2016, 06:28:04 AM
Have we reached a consensus yet?
Never!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed