Marvel Announces Predator vs. Wolverine Crossover Series!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 08, 2023, 02:56:44 PM

Author
Marvel Announces Predator vs. Wolverine Crossover Series! (Read 34,412 times)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 08, 2023, 03:15:00 PMObviously this won't be canon to the Predator movies, but I wonder if this is going to be considered Marvel canon?

Probably not even Earth-616 canon, but it likely IS canon in the grander Marvel Multiverse.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Hyped for this crossover!

Quote from: Engineer on Jun 08, 2023, 06:51:35 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 08, 2023, 06:45:35 PM
Quote from: Engineer on Jun 08, 2023, 06:01:08 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 08, 2023, 04:23:25 PMOh no I just saw that Greg Land is one of the artists. Hope he isn't tracing here... :-\

The idea of this having multiple artists is interesting, I wonder if maybe the art style is going to shift as it moves from one era to the next?

If the art style shifts around, it runs the risk of becoming a visually jarring experience like Dark Horse's Aliens: Havoc was... that was one of my least favorite comics by dark horse for that specific reason; too many artists and artistic changes from one panel to the next.

Can't speak to that one specifically, but I've read plenty of comics that have used different shifting styles/artists in intetesting ways, so I wouldn't write it off on that basis.

I would, however, write off Greg Land "art" on the basis of it being "art" from Greg Land.

Im not writing it off yet for having multiple artists; just mentioning how it could become detrimental to the series if they aren't careful about it... that being said, some people liked Havoc...

But yea, Greg Land is a huge red flag! And an absolute deal-breaker for me...

Havoc was messy because it changed artists on every page which was extremely jarring. I suspect this will be an artist per era and that each era will probably consist of a full issue as there are 4 artists mentioned and it's going to be 4 issues long.

Nightmare Asylum

Four artists mentioned by name so far, but with an "and many more" following that.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Jun 08, 2023, 07:37:59 PMHyped for this crossover!

Quote from: Engineer on Jun 08, 2023, 06:51:35 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 08, 2023, 06:45:35 PM
Quote from: Engineer on Jun 08, 2023, 06:01:08 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 08, 2023, 04:23:25 PMOh no I just saw that Greg Land is one of the artists. Hope he isn't tracing here... :-\

The idea of this having multiple artists is interesting, I wonder if maybe the art style is going to shift as it moves from one era to the next?

If the art style shifts around, it runs the risk of becoming a visually jarring experience like Dark Horse's Aliens: Havoc was... that was one of my least favorite comics by dark horse for that specific reason; too many artists and artistic changes from one panel to the next.

Can't speak to that one specifically, but I've read plenty of comics that have used different shifting styles/artists in intetesting ways, so I wouldn't write it off on that basis.

I would, however, write off Greg Land "art" on the basis of it being "art" from Greg Land.

Im not writing it off yet for having multiple artists; just mentioning how it could become detrimental to the series if they aren't careful about it... that being said, some people liked Havoc...

But yea, Greg Land is a huge red flag! And an absolute deal-breaker for me...

Havoc was messy because it changed artists on every page which was extremely jarring. I suspect this will be an artist per era and that each era will probably consist of a full issue as there are 4 artists mentioned and it's going to be 4 issues long.

Yea that's exactly what I didn't like about havoc. Too many artists and the rapid change in artistic styles was jarring. They run the risk of the same thing here if they aren't careful and as nightmare asylum pointed out, there's "many more" artists apparently, not just 4.

Anyone wanna take any bets that with Benjamin Percy writing, we'll get a glowing white predator with liquid nitrogen blood?

Xiggz456

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 08, 2023, 07:58:53 PMFour artists mentioned by name so far, but with an "and many more" following that.

Strictly speculating, but my guess is the "many more" artists is in reference to a slew of variant covers. We shall see though!

Mr.Turok

I don't see them kill Wolverine. We know any Marvel characters really don't stay dead. Hell even the recent "death" of Ms Marvel will just be retconned sometime in the future, as it's always status quo to do so.

If anything, I like how it removes the inhibitor of Predator writing "failing a hunt = dishonor, only death will recover it". Have a Predator retreat and come back for more helps build up the Predator's character into it's own individuality instead of being a monster of the week jobber.

Engineer

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Jun 08, 2023, 10:20:19 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 08, 2023, 07:58:53 PMFour artists mentioned by name so far, but with an "and many more" following that.

Strictly speculating, but my guess is the "many more" artists is in reference to a slew of variant covers. We shall see though!

Could be but we'll see

The Shuriken

Stronger characters than the Predator have tried and failed to kill Wolverine. Can a Predator actually seal the deal? Predators are no slouch physically, and have advanced weaponry. But Wolverine....is f**king Wolverine.

And what is the canonicity of this story? Is it taking place in the main 616 universe? Or a different universe?

RakaiThwei

Quote from: The Shuriken on Jun 09, 2023, 12:41:04 AMAnd what is the canonicity of this story? Is it taking place in the main 616 universe? Or a different universe?

Very much likely a different universe similar to 616 in the Marvel Multiverse.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I don't care what universe it's ultimately set in, I think it's gonna be a fun fight.

Edit-- forgot to share this:

RakaiThwei

Regardless which universe it's set in... This leaves me one question.

Does this mean that Predators now exist in the Marvel Multiverse now? Does this mean that in someway... we have an AVP Multiverse by technicality where... EVERYTHING can exist? All because it's set by proxy in the Marvel Multiverse?

Corporal Hicks

I think the point of Havoc was that it was supposed to be jarring. From what I remember the changes in style came when the consciousness was jumping into different bodies. It because different perspectives. I can't imagine that that process would have been smooth or pleasant on folk. That was always my reading of Havoc, and it was something I actually really loved about it. It worked in the same way Sam Keith actually works for Inhuman Condition. It's style and method suiting the narrative perfectly.

re: PvW continuity. I do hope it's not the main Marvel universe. We all know the characters inevitably come back to life, but I'd love to see it take place in some other universe where Wolverine could actually be in danger and perhaps die. These crossovers do loose some teeth in that that expectation can make them predictable. It's a reason I quite enjoyed Archie vs. Predator - the Archie characters actually die.

SiL

SiL

I was never under any misconception Batman would die, but watching the Predator beat the shit out of him and watching Batman adapt sure was satisfying.

I'm keen.

Neila

well, I don't think Wolverine is the right opponent for a Predator.
Since the Predators often let themselves be beaten up by normal people (see P2 and Prey), the chances of success against a mutant are rather low. ;D  ;D  ;D

SuperiorIronman

It's likely Wolverine will win but this is doubtful it'll be in continuity.

Marvel does have a history making licensed properties canonical with ROM, Godzilla, micronaughts, Conan, and Transformers. But I don't think this is the place they'll do it since they did that with the mainline book and not a crossover event or storyline. We'd effectively have seen Predators in the marvel universe at large by now if it was mainline continuity. A fight with Wolverine just isn't the place where this would start happening especially when this is something that spans decades and there already being two Predator book launches. We'd have seen them by now and only Star Wars depicted one's armor in the background. Someone in the Predator book would've brought up other aliens like Kree, Skrulls or even Thanos.

What this probably is likely to be is an out of continuity crossover and likely to be the continuity they use if they do any Marvel crossovers in the future. So there's the Marvel universe Predators, and the Marvel comics Predators. With the only real difference is that one can fight super heroes where the other is the Marvel comics run and probably fudging some details as to why a Predator can throw hands with something like the Hulk.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed