Aliens: Dark Descent

Started by BlueMarsalis79, Jun 09, 2022, 06:09:08 PM

Author
Aliens: Dark Descent (Read 52,663 times)

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 12, 2023, 01:47:14 AMI know what "canon" means lol, I've probably been arguing about it since before you were born.

The point is that what's in my head, my head-canon, is absolutely more important than what some company says is canon. "What fans talk about" is meaningless, official canon is not a useful concept for fans or consumers. Fans (including you!) are empowered to decide for themselves what they personally want to accept as canon, independent of any "official" claims.
Even if you said "I am choosing to follow the official canon", that is a personal choice you are making, independent of the IP owners. If that's what brings you the most enjoyment then great! Keep doing it! But at the end of the day that personal choice is still head-canon (even if it aligns with the official canon). No one is forcing you, the consumer, to follow the official canon, you are choosing to.

Quote from: ralfy on Dec 12, 2023, 12:04:27 AMFinally, I don't remember seeing what you said in the first three Mad Max movies. What I do remember is that he patterned the story after literary works inspired by myths, like Moby-Dick. Hence, characters with names like Toe Cutter and Starbuck.
https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/23984150/furiosa-mad-max-timeline-trailer-continuity

"Head-canon" makes no sense because you're authorizing you're own views in your mind. In addition, the only one who thinks that your views trump those of others is you. For example, I can come up with my own "head-canon" and imagine that my views are better than those of the company and yours. Put simply, it amounts to fantasizing.

Also, "official canon" is redundant because the definition of "canon" is something widely considered official or authoritative.

You're confusing opinion with what's canonical. The first refers to what you think while the second refers to what's official. They're not the same.

Canon doesn't refer to what's widely accepted but what's widely considered as official or authoritative. That means you can choose to not accept the alternate timeline in Fury, for example, or what takes place in the Dark Descent game, but your choice doesn't make something official unofficial. And neither does your opinion that what you choose is canonical becomes so. Apparently, you didn't know the meaning of the term from the beginning.

Finally, the source you gave doesn't support your argument. Instead, it explains that what takes place in Fury can't be reconciled with the first three movies because it involves "an alternate timeline." BTW, that's canon, too, because the movie was approved by those who own the IP.

The implication, then, is that in order to deal with retconning, one has to settle for parallel universes, etc. It's like a deus ex machina.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: ralfy on Dec 13, 2023, 12:52:26 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 12, 2023, 01:47:14 AMI know what "canon" means lol, I've probably been arguing about it since before you were born.

The point is that what's in my head, my head-canon, is absolutely more important than what some company says is canon. "What fans talk about" is meaningless, official canon is not a useful concept for fans or consumers. Fans (including you!) are empowered to decide for themselves what they personally want to accept as canon, independent of any "official" claims.
Even if you said "I am choosing to follow the official canon", that is a personal choice you are making, independent of the IP owners. If that's what brings you the most enjoyment then great! Keep doing it! But at the end of the day that personal choice is still head-canon (even if it aligns with the official canon). No one is forcing you, the consumer, to follow the official canon, you are choosing to.

Quote from: ralfy on Dec 12, 2023, 12:04:27 AMFinally, I don't remember seeing what you said in the first three Mad Max movies. What I do remember is that he patterned the story after literary works inspired by myths, like Moby-Dick. Hence, characters with names like Toe Cutter and Starbuck.
https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/23984150/furiosa-mad-max-timeline-trailer-continuity

"Head-canon" makes no sense because you're authorizing you're own views in your mind. In addition, the only one who thinks that your views trump those of others is you. For example, I can come up with my own "head-canon" and imagine that my views are better than those of the company and yours. Put simply, it amounts to fantasizing.

Also, "official canon" is redundant because the definition of "canon" is something widely considered official or authoritative.

You're confusing opinion with what's canonical. The first refers to what you think while the second refers to what's official. They're not the same.

Canon doesn't refer to what's widely accepted but what's widely considered as official or authoritative. That means you can choose to not accept the alternate timeline in Fury, for example, or what takes place in the Dark Descent game, but your choice doesn't make something official unofficial. And neither does your opinion that what you choose is canonical becomes so. Apparently, you didn't know the meaning of the term from the beginning.

Finally, the source you gave doesn't support your argument. Instead, it explains that what takes place in Fury can't be reconciled with the first three movies because it involves "an alternate timeline." BTW, that's canon, too, because the movie was approved by those who own the IP.

The implication, then, is that in order to deal with retconning, one has to settle for parallel universes, etc. It's like a deus ex machina.

You are very clearly not grasping what I'm saying lol

What is officially canon according to the IP holders *doesn't matter*. My opinion, my head canon, is absolutely more important to me than anything they have to say. My head canon does not have to be "official" and it absolutely is my opinion, and it trumps the "official" canon for me because, again, the official canon *doesn't matter*. It serves no purpose to the consumer. There is no "truth", it's all fiction.

Also the concept of "canon", biblical canon, absolutely was "that which is widely accepted as true". That's the origin of the concept.

But it doesn't matter, because what I choose to believe is more important for me than anything anyone else could possibly say.
And again, you choosing to follow "the official canon" is a personal choice, just like what I choose to believe. The official canon exists independent of you or me, but you are personally choosing to follow it. You are not obligated to do so.

You call it "fantasizing", I call it freedom of choice and maximizing my enjoyment of a franchise I like - and there is absolutely nothing the IP holders or you or anyone else can do to derail that. It's already fantasy - it's fiction, none of this stuff actually exists! If it became canon that Jones was actually Ripley's sister, and I chose to reject that, what, exactly, can you to do about it? Are you going to come take my Aliens toys away? Declare that I'm not a "true fan"? Say that I'm "wrong" in how I choose to enjoy a franchise? Tell me, what can you do?

I know a guy who believes with all his heart that Bishop put the egg on the Sulaco from Alien3. Any evidence I provide to the contrary, he does not care. He loves his theory, and it is what brings him maximum enjoyment out of the franchise. It is his head-canon.
Who am I to take that away from him, to tell him he's wrong and that he isn't allowed to enjoy a piece of fiction the way he wants to?

And yes, my Nad Max link supports what I'm saying - George Miller doesn't pay attention to the logic or timeline of his Mad Max movies because *it doesn't matter*. They're mythic tales and continuity isn't important. Mad Max might not even be a single person, he could just be a folklore legend that people assign the name to. You saw the phrase "alternate timeline" and fixated on it, without reading the rest of the article. Nowhere has George Miller ever said it's an alternate timeline.

Quite the opposite, in fact:

https://screenrant.com/mad-max-fury-road-movie-sequel-reboot-continuity-explained/

https://www.indiewire.com/news/general-news/listen-george-miller-talks-mad-max-continuity-practical-effects-and-more-in-1-hour-of-fury-road-interviews-272466/

If you choose to rationalize it as "alternate timelines", if that's what brings you the most enjoyment out of the franchise, then guess what? That's your head-canon.

Canon and continuity aren't synonyms - there is a defined biblical "canon" by the Catholic Church and the Bible is littered with continuity problems. Hell, even the Alien franchise has continuity problems, even within the things officially considered "canon".
The Warhammer 40K universe is chock full of continuity problems (some of it is even intentional!). The official line is "everything is canon, not everything is true." And Games Workshop actively encourages players to incorporate their own head-canon, even if it contradicts or overrides "official" media.

Shit, has Disney/Fox even said Aliens Dark Descent is actually officially "canon"? Maybe that's part of your head-canon, too...

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 13, 2023, 01:36:54 AMYou are very clearly not grasping what I'm saying lol

What is officially canon according to the IP holders *doesn't matter*. My opinion, my head canon, is absolutely more important to me than anything they have to say. My head canon does not have to be "official" and it absolutely is my opinion, and it trumps the "official" canon for me because, again, the official canon *doesn't matter*. It serves no purpose to the consumer. There is no "truth", it's all fiction.

Also the concept of "canon", biblical canon, absolutely was "that which is widely accepted as true". That's the origin of the concept.

But it doesn't matter, because what I choose to believe is more important for me than anything anyone else could possibly say.
And again, you choosing to follow "the official canon" is a personal choice, just like what I choose to believe. The official canon exists independent of you or me, but you are personally choosing to follow it. You are not obligated to do so.

You call it "fantasizing", I call it freedom of choice and maximizing my enjoyment of a franchise I like - and there is absolutely nothing the IP holders or you or anyone else can do to derail that. It's already fantasy - it's fiction, none of this stuff actually exists! If it became canon that Jones was actually Ripley's sister, and I chose to reject that, what, exactly, can you to do about it? Are you going to come take my Aliens toys away? Declare that I'm not a "true fan"? Say that I'm "wrong" in how I choose to enjoy a franchise? Tell me, what can you do?

I know a guy who believes with all his heart that Bishop put the egg on the Sulaco from Alien3. Any evidence I provide to the contrary, he does not care. He loves his theory, and it is what brings him maximum enjoyment out of the franchise. It is his head-canon.
Who am I to take that away from him, to tell him he's wrong and that he isn't allowed to enjoy a piece of fiction the way he wants to?

And yes, my Nad Max link supports what I'm saying - George Miller doesn't pay attention to the logic or timeline of his Mad Max movies because *it doesn't matter*. They're mythic tales and continuity isn't important. Mad Max might not even be a single person, he could just be a folklore legend that people assign the name to. You saw the phrase "alternate timeline" and fixated on it, without reading the rest of the article. Nowhere has George Miller ever said it's an alternate timeline.

Quite the opposite, in fact:

https://screenrant.com/mad-max-fury-road-movie-sequel-reboot-continuity-explained/

https://www.indiewire.com/news/general-news/listen-george-miller-talks-mad-max-continuity-practical-effects-and-more-in-1-hour-of-fury-road-interviews-272466/

If you choose to rationalize it as "alternate timelines", if that's what brings you the most enjoyment out of the franchise, then guess what? That's your head-canon.

Canon and continuity aren't synonyms - there is a defined biblical "canon" by the Catholic Church and the Bible is littered with continuity problems. Hell, even the Alien franchise has continuity problems, even within the things officially considered "canon".
The Warhammer 40K universe is chock full of continuity problems (some of it is even intentional!). The official line is "everything is canon, not everything is true." And Games Workshop actively encourages players to incorporate their own head-canon, even if it contradicts or overrides "official" media.

Shit, has Disney/Fox even said Aliens Dark Descent is actually officially "canon"? Maybe that's part of your head-canon, too...

You are very clearly not grasping the meaning of "canon":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_(fiction)

QuoteThe canon of a work of fiction is "the body of works taking place in a particular fictional world that are widely considered to be official or authoritative; [especially] those created by the original author or developer of the world".[2] Canon is contrasted with, or used as the basis for, works of fan fiction and other derivative works.[3]

What you have in your mind is not widely considered, let alone official or authoritative.

Next, there's no such thing as a "head-canon," and for the same reason. That means even the idea of a "head-canon" is part of your imagination, and nothing more.

The fact that you admit that what you imagine isn't official means it's not canon, head- or otherwise. Put simply, you're imagining another timeline, and nothing more.

Next, the definition of "canon" doesn't point out that it should be accepted. Rather, it's considered as official. That means you can argue all you want that you don't accept what's shown, but it remains official and what you think simply part of your imagination.

Third, since you can imagine anything you want and no one can stop you, then nothing trumps you. The problem is that others can say the same thing. Meanwhile, whatever fuels your imagination turn out to be the same works allowed by franchise holders; the only exception is fan fiction, where creators can even contradict each other.

That's why what you keep claiming doesn't matter you keep talking about in this discussion.

Even your example concerning the Bible works against you. The books that make up the Bible were selected and approved by various councils across centuries. They did not spring from each person's imagination which just happened to coincide with each other. You're obviously an ignoramus concerning this topic.

Your example about Aliens and the eggs also don't help because that's simply one person's opinion vs. another. Neither is canon until, for example, the franchise holders approve a work that explains how those eggs got on the ship.

The link you gave doesn't support your argument. You insist that that Miller used "unreliable[-]narrator folklore" but according to some sources there are production notes when the three movies were being made showing that they followed a chronology, and even anyone who saw the three movies can see the same. Meanwhile, what the source you gave doesn't support your point but instead excuses discrepancies by arguing that the new movie takes place in an alternative timeline. That means not only does your source not support your claim it's possible that you probably didn't even read it carefully.

Finally, the franchise holders don't have to declare something as canon. They just have to authorize its release or accept any licensing requests, and that includes this video game.

I'll make this simpler and at the same time remain on-topic:

Let's say you want to play Aliens: Dark Descent but find out that it mostly goes against your timeline of the Alien storyline, and you argue that the game needs major revisions because of that. The game developers disagree.

So, you can choose to revise the game yourself and release it unofficially, obtain a license from the IP holders to develop and release a new game that follows your timeline, or close your eyes and just imagine a game following your timeline.

The first and second options will cost you money, if not a lot, and if something goes wrong legally with the first option, then you can get into trouble. The third option is free, and in your mind, you can even find comfort in the fact that the IP holders can't stop you, and because of that you've trumped them. But why would they care? They don't earn anything from your imagination.

Given that, can you argue that the canon is inconsequential? Yes, but only if you have a lot of money to invest or waste to make a new, licensed game or receive legal permission to revise a present one, or you don't ultimately care what IP holders do. For the latter, does it matter if you're merely a consumer? Actually, yes, because you only live to consume, and what you're consuming--this game--you don't want. That means you have to be a creator, too, but one creating for an imaginary audience. In short, you have to fantasize that you own a franchise that you're developing and playing a game made by your company and released to gamers who, because they have the same beliefs as you, will adore you so much that you'll end up telling them, "You like me. You really like me!"

In which case, fire away, fantasist, but you should probably do so in a new thread.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: ralfy on Dec 13, 2023, 04:12:15 AMWhat you have in your mind is not widely considered, let alone official or authoritative.
I never said that it was, nor does that matter.

Quote from: ralfy on Dec 13, 2023, 04:12:15 AMNext, there's no such thing as a "head-canon," and for the same reason. That means even the idea of a "head-canon" is part of your imagination, and nothing more.
Just because you're unfamiliar with a concept doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/headcanon/

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/headcanon

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=headcanon

https://fanlore.org/wiki/Headcanon

https://www.oed.com/dictionary/headcanon_n?tl=true

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/headcanon

Hell, it's even been brought up on these very forums:
https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=62006.msg2378560#msg2378560

Quote from: ralfy on Dec 13, 2023, 04:12:15 AMThe fact that you admit that what you imagine isn't official means it's not canon, head- or otherwise. Put simply, you're imagining another timeline, and nothing more.
This has nothing to do with "timelines" lol.

Quote from: ralfy on Dec 13, 2023, 04:12:15 AMNext, the definition of "canon" doesn't point out that it should be accepted. Rather, it's considered as official. That means you can argue all you want that you don't accept what's shown, but it remains official and what you think simply part of your imagination.
And the part you're not grasping is that "what is official" doesn't matter.

Quote from: ralfy on Dec 13, 2023, 04:12:15 AMEven your example concerning the Bible works against you. The books that make up the Bible were selected and approved by various councils across centuries. They did not spring from each person's imagination which just happened to coincide with each other. You're obviously an ignoramus concerning this topic.
The idea of biblical canon is still what groups of people choose to believe, it doesn't matter how long it took them to reach that conclusion.

Quote from: ralfy on Dec 13, 2023, 04:12:15 AMThe link you gave doesn't support your argument. You insist that that Miller used "unreliable[-]narrator folklore" but according to some sources there are production notes when the three movies were being made showing that they followed a chronology, and even anyone who saw the three movies can see the same. Meanwhile, what the source you gave doesn't support your point but instead excuses discrepancies by arguing that the new movie takes place in an alternative timeline. That means not only does your source not support your claim it's possible that you probably didn't even read it carefully.
QuoteBut if you're trying to square that math with either the events of the original Mad Max trilogy or Fury Road, let me offer some helpful advice: don't. It probably doesn't make sense. In fact, the comics books that have come out since Fury Road have been trying to fit its timeline back into the original trilogy for years, and never gotten close to succeeding.

And you know what? That's OK.

Mad Max director, writer, and creator George Miller, in his infinite wisdom, rightly decided with the release of Fury Road that maybe Max is an idea larger than petty grievances like canon and continuity. Max is a myth and a legend, and as Miller himself has supposedly said, he works best as a campfire legend. And Furiosa is no different. The trailer says as much in its first few seconds. This is her Odyssey. She's destined to become a myth, and myths are too important to worry about whether or not the details line up.

QuoteThe Mad Max franchise has always upheld a very loose continuity, with few recurring elements aside from the title character, the Wasteland setting, and rebellion-themed narratives. In an interview with Den of Geek, Miller offered his views on the continuity debate:

"they're not really connected in any very strict way. They're another episode in a saga of a character who is pretty archetypal: the wanderer in the wasteland, basically searching for meaning. This is someone we see in the classic westerns, in samurai stories. You can't really put a chronology [of the Mad Max films] together. They were never conceived that way. After I made the first one I had no intention to make a second, the second was ultimately an attempt to do the things I couldn't in the first one and so on. They were all standalone films in many, many ways."

When asked whether this was akin to folklore, Miller replied, "Precisely."

QuoteMeanwhile, also had an extensive talk with Awards Chatter, and he admits that 'Fury Road' has no real, solid connection to the preceding films.

"There's no real continuity, just as there wasn't between the first three," Miller said.

I'm, uh, I'm not sure you read the links particularly well. Do you have any quotes from Miller about things being alternate timelines? I kind of doubt it.

Quote from: ralfy on Dec 13, 2023, 04:12:15 AMFinally, the franchise holders don't have to declare something as canon. They just have to authorize its release or accept any licensing requests, and that includes this video game.
That isn't how "canon" works, considering license holders can release "non canon" things, or declare things to be "non canon" after the fact. "Merely releasing something" is not a good enough standard, and you don't have any quotes from the license-holders to back up your claim about what is canon and what isn't.

By that logic, the novelization of 'Alien Covenant' (the one that has David outright say he didn't create the Alien) is simultaneously canon alongside the movie's explanation. Likewise, the end of 'Aliens' shows Ripley and company getting into one type of cryotube, while the beginning of 'Alien3' shows them using a completely different one.

Hell, there's even a recent example - the (canon) novel "Aliens: Bishop" provides one death for Michael Bishop, while the (canon) sourcebook "The Weyland Yutani Project" provides a totally different one.

If we don't have any statements that things aren't canon, then by that logic the William Gibson Alien3 novelization and audio drama are canon - nowhere in the product descriptions is it stated that they're "alternate timelines", merely that they're from "an unproduced screenplay". Similarly, Disney/FOX has never publicly said that the DH Press novels, or the AvP movies, or the old Dark Horse comics, are "non-canon". By your standard, the fact that they were released with a copyright stamp on them means they're officially canon.

Canon and continuity aren't synonyms, but such discrepancies present audiences with some choices they have to make, be it to disregard certain sources, or come up with explanations to address those discrepancies. But those explanations or decisions are, themselves, head-canon.

The license-holders have clarified to writers and creators what is and isn't "canon", which illustrates my point: "canon" is not a useful concept for the consumer, and we wouldn't even know what it is if the creative talent didn't opt to share what they've been told with us.

QuoteLet's say you want to play Aliens: Dark Descent but find out that it mostly goes against your timeline of the Alien storyline, and you argue that the game needs major revisions because of that. The game developers disagree.

So, you can choose to revise the game yourself and release it unofficially, obtain a license from the IP holders to develop and release a new game that follows your timeline, or close your eyes and just imagine a game following your timeline.

The first and second options will cost you money, if not a lot, and if something goes wrong legally with the first option, then you can get into trouble.
There's multiple problems with this:
1. "the developers disagree" is irrelevant, considering that by your own standard, they are not the license holders and do not make the decisions about what is or isn't "officially canon"
2. If I have enough money to throw at the problem, I could conceivably get licensed permission from the IP holders and create contradictory materials and provide no explanation for why things don't line up. As demonstrated, any explanations for those contradictions provided by the audience are, themselves, head-canon.

QuoteFor the latter, does it matter if you're merely a consumer? Actually, yes, because you only live to consume, and what you're consuming--this game--you don't want. That means you have to be a creator, too, but one creating for an imaginary audience. In short, you have to fantasize that you own a franchise that you're developing and playing a game made by your company and released to gamers who, because they have the same beliefs as you, will adore you so much that you'll end up telling them, "You like me. You really like me!"
No, my explanations or conclusions only need to satisfy one person (me). I don't need approval from anyone else, and my views trump anything anyone could possibly say to me.
Head-canon addresses your "consumer/creator" conundrum by allowing the consumer to be a creator, even if they are only doing so for themselves. And they're doing so in a way that no one can overrule or take away from  them, regardless of what is officially "canon" or not.

That's the point you're not grasping.

It's clear we'll never see eye-to-eye on this, and that's fine (it's less of a "we disagree with each other" thing and more of a "you do not grasp the fundamental concepts" thing), but I'll agree with one thing - it's all very off-topic and we've let it go on long enough.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

@Local Trouble this shit is right up your alley.

@Corporal Hicks you'll probably love it too

Also I just figured out how the @ ping system work!

kwisatz

kwisatz

@Xenomrph You bet!

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 13, 2023, 05:38:38 PM@Local Trouble this shit is right up your alley.

He'll probably ignore you soon.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 13, 2023, 06:09:32 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 13, 2023, 05:38:38 PM@Local Trouble this shit is right up your alley.

He'll probably ignore you soon.
Probably for the best.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Three missions to go for me. It's getting much easier as I have high-level marines and know what to do.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I still need to take another crack at killing the Queen in the mines.

How do you change a sentry gun's orientation? I'm playing on Xbox.

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 13, 2023, 05:04:37 AM
Quote from: ralfy on Dec 13, 2023, 04:12:15 AMWhat you have in your mind is not widely considered, let alone official or authoritative.
I never said that it was, nor does that matter.

Quote from: ralfy on Dec 13, 2023, 04:12:15 AMNext, there's no such thing as a "head-canon," and for the same reason. That means even the idea of a "head-canon" is part of your imagination, and nothing more.
Just because you're unfamiliar with a concept doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/headcanon/

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/headcanon

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=headcanon

https://fanlore.org/wiki/Headcanon

https://www.oed.com/dictionary/headcanon_n?tl=true

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/headcanon

Hell, it's even been brought up on these very forums:
https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=62006.msg2378560#msg2378560

Quote from: ralfy on Dec 13, 2023, 04:12:15 AMThe fact that you admit that what you imagine isn't official means it's not canon, head- or otherwise. Put simply, you're imagining another timeline, and nothing more.
This has nothing to do with "timelines" lol.

Quote from: ralfy on Dec 13, 2023, 04:12:15 AMNext, the definition of "canon" doesn't point out that it should be accepted. Rather, it's considered as official. That means you can argue all you want that you don't accept what's shown, but it remains official and what you think simply part of your imagination.
And the part you're not grasping is that "what is official" doesn't matter.

Quote from: ralfy on Dec 13, 2023, 04:12:15 AMEven your example concerning the Bible works against you. The books that make up the Bible were selected and approved by various councils across centuries. They did not spring from each person's imagination which just happened to coincide with each other. You're obviously an ignoramus concerning this topic.
The idea of biblical canon is still what groups of people choose to believe, it doesn't matter how long it took them to reach that conclusion.

Quote from: ralfy on Dec 13, 2023, 04:12:15 AMThe link you gave doesn't support your argument. You insist that that Miller used "unreliable[-]narrator folklore" but according to some sources there are production notes when the three movies were being made showing that they followed a chronology, and even anyone who saw the three movies can see the same. Meanwhile, what the source you gave doesn't support your point but instead excuses discrepancies by arguing that the new movie takes place in an alternative timeline. That means not only does your source not support your claim it's possible that you probably didn't even read it carefully.
QuoteBut if you're trying to square that math with either the events of the original Mad Max trilogy or Fury Road, let me offer some helpful advice: don't. It probably doesn't make sense. In fact, the comics books that have come out since Fury Road have been trying to fit its timeline back into the original trilogy for years, and never gotten close to succeeding.

And you know what? That's OK.

Mad Max director, writer, and creator George Miller, in his infinite wisdom, rightly decided with the release of Fury Road that maybe Max is an idea larger than petty grievances like canon and continuity. Max is a myth and a legend, and as Miller himself has supposedly said, he works best as a campfire legend. And Furiosa is no different. The trailer says as much in its first few seconds. This is her Odyssey. She's destined to become a myth, and myths are too important to worry about whether or not the details line up.

QuoteThe Mad Max franchise has always upheld a very loose continuity, with few recurring elements aside from the title character, the Wasteland setting, and rebellion-themed narratives. In an interview with Den of Geek, Miller offered his views on the continuity debate:

"they're not really connected in any very strict way. They're another episode in a saga of a character who is pretty archetypal: the wanderer in the wasteland, basically searching for meaning. This is someone we see in the classic westerns, in samurai stories. You can't really put a chronology [of the Mad Max films] together. They were never conceived that way. After I made the first one I had no intention to make a second, the second was ultimately an attempt to do the things I couldn't in the first one and so on. They were all standalone films in many, many ways."

When asked whether this was akin to folklore, Miller replied, "Precisely."

QuoteMeanwhile, also had an extensive talk with Awards Chatter, and he admits that 'Fury Road' has no real, solid connection to the preceding films.

"There's no real continuity, just as there wasn't between the first three," Miller said.

I'm, uh, I'm not sure you read the links particularly well. Do you have any quotes from Miller about things being alternate timelines? I kind of doubt it.

Quote from: ralfy on Dec 13, 2023, 04:12:15 AMFinally, the franchise holders don't have to declare something as canon. They just have to authorize its release or accept any licensing requests, and that includes this video game.
That isn't how "canon" works, considering license holders can release "non canon" things, or declare things to be "non canon" after the fact. "Merely releasing something" is not a good enough standard, and you don't have any quotes from the license-holders to back up your claim about what is canon and what isn't.

By that logic, the novelization of 'Alien Covenant' (the one that has David outright say he didn't create the Alien) is simultaneously canon alongside the movie's explanation. Likewise, the end of 'Aliens' shows Ripley and company getting into one type of cryotube, while the beginning of 'Alien3' shows them using a completely different one.

Hell, there's even a recent example - the (canon) novel "Aliens: Bishop" provides one death for Michael Bishop, while the (canon) sourcebook "The Weyland Yutani Project" provides a totally different one.

If we don't have any statements that things aren't canon, then by that logic the William Gibson Alien3 novelization and audio drama are canon - nowhere in the product descriptions is it stated that they're "alternate timelines", merely that they're from "an unproduced screenplay". Similarly, Disney/FOX has never publicly said that the DH Press novels, or the AvP movies, or the old Dark Horse comics, are "non-canon". By your standard, the fact that they were released with a copyright stamp on them means they're officially canon.

Canon and continuity aren't synonyms, but such discrepancies present audiences with some choices they have to make, be it to disregard certain sources, or come up with explanations to address those discrepancies. But those explanations or decisions are, themselves, head-canon.

The license-holders have clarified to writers and creators what is and isn't "canon", which illustrates my point: "canon" is not a useful concept for the consumer, and we wouldn't even know what it is if the creative talent didn't opt to share what they've been told with us.

QuoteLet's say you want to play Aliens: Dark Descent but find out that it mostly goes against your timeline of the Alien storyline, and you argue that the game needs major revisions because of that. The game developers disagree.

The first and second options will cost you money, if not a lot, and if something goes wrong legally with the first option, then you can get into trouble.
There's multiple problems with this:
1. "the developers disagree" is irrelevant, considering that by your own standard, they are not the license holders and do not make the decisions about what is or isn't "officially canon"
2. If I have enough money to throw at the problem, I could conceivably get licensed permission from the IP holders and create contradictory materials and provide no explanation for why things don't line up. As demonstrated, any explanations for those contradictions provided by the audience are, themselves, head-canon.

QuoteFor the latter, does it matter if you're merely a consumer? Actually, yes, because you only live to consume, and what you're consuming--this game--you don't want. That means you have to be a creator, too, but one creating for an imaginary audience. In short, you have to fantasize that you own a franchise that you're developing and playing a game made by your company and released to gamers who, because they have the same beliefs as you, will adore you so much that you'll end up telling them, "You like me. You really like me!"
No, my explanations or conclusions only need to satisfy one person (me). I don't need approval from anyone else, and my views trump anything anyone could possibly say to me.
Head-canon addresses your "consumer/creator" conundrum by allowing the consumer to be a creator, even if they are only doing so for themselves. And they're doing so in a way that no one can overrule or take away from  them, regardless of what is officially "canon" or not.

That's the point you're not grasping.

It's clear we'll never see eye-to-eye on this, and that's fine (it's less of a "we disagree with each other" thing and more of a "you do not grasp the fundamental concepts" thing), but I'll agree with one thing - it's all very off-topic and we've let it go on long enough.

I'm not saying you said that. What I'm saying is that you didn't know that.

The sources that you shared proves my point. Here's a quote from the first one:

QuoteIn pop culture, the word canon refers to the aspects of a story or fictional "world" or "universe" that are considered to be "official"—meaning they have been confirmed within the story or in some other way (for example, an author or director might confirm something to be canon in an interview or in bonus material).

In contrast, headcanon is simply what a fan believes (or wants) to be true about a story. It can involve backstory, what happens after the story ends, or any other aspect. Headcanon often involves shipping, which is the practice of romantically linking two characters who don't have any romantic interactions in the actual story.

The problem is that the first part is wrong: what's official is what's authorized by the IP holders, and it can even create discrepancies. The second is accurate: it's simply based on one's imagination.

Of course, it has to do with timelines. That's why the Fury source that you gave even referred to an alternate one to explain discrepancies.

I'm grasping it completely: because your "head-canon" is "simply what a fan believes (or wants) to be true about a story," then the canon won't matter. In which case, why are you still debating on something that shouldn't matter at all?

I wasn't referring to the length of time it took to select the books that made up the Bible but the fact that it involved groups and agreements, not some "head-canon" in individuals' minds that coincidentally were the same. In short, your own example went against you.

Your next three sourcs prove my point again because Miller is part of the franchise. The problem is that he claims that one can't put together a chronology of the first three movies, but from what I remember he and his crew released production notes from the time they made them showing that chronology. Here's one from one of the same outlets you cited:

https://screenrant.com/mad-max-movies-timeline-setting-explained-fury-road/

The first is said to have been set during the mid-1980s and caused by peak oil coupled with oil wars. The second is said to have taken place only a few years later, which is why what happened to Max's family is still fresh in his mind. And the third takes place almost two decades later, and after a nuclear war, as explained by the lost kids in the desert.

According to the same source, discrepancies started showing up with the comics, which stated that the nuclear war took place after that. Maybe the first one was tactical and the other global.

Finally, the fourth movie is said to have taken place decades later, which forces some to theorize that Max in the movie is actually someone like Feral Boy who has taken on Max's identity, or something like that. In any case, these show that discrepancies can be part of the canon and dealt with all sorts of re-imagined views, e.g., Max was simply dreaming all of it (like the way one can read the ending of movies like Once Upon a Time or see how TV shows like St. Elsewhere concludes). In any case, the purpose is to reboot the franchise for younger audiences who have never heard of or seen the first three movies.

First, you argue that "[t]his isn't about timelines" and now admit that Miller was talking about "alternate timelines," which shows that not only do you contract yourself you end up supporting my arguments again.

I never argued that canon and continuity are synonyms. What I argued is that canon is what's official, and that can include breaking continuity. Also, keep in mind that discrepancies don't mean that there was no continuity in the first place, which is Miller's mistake. Rather, it's an poor excuse to explain away discrepancies. Why? Because continuity is part of internal logic, and has to be maintained whether or not canon is involved.

That's why it's a useful concept to consumers, contrary to your claims. For example, what if Aliens: Dark Descent is supposed to be set almost two decades after the third movie, and then a 10-year-old Ripley shows up?

Unless I'm mistaken, the developers are license holders and are legally allowed to depict the Alien franchise in Dark Descent.

Finally, the fact that your explanations and conclusions need to satisfy you proves my point again. In contrast, the canon, as defined, refers to what's widely considered official and authoritative. The only way you can deal with this is that you own the franchise. It's likely that you do, but only in your imagination.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Spoiler
@Xenomrph
[close]

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Wweyland

Wweyland

The silenced sniper is invaluable. Having trouble with killing eggs silently though.

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 14, 2023, 02:41:24 AM
Quote from: ralfy on Dec 14, 2023, 02:09:22 AMI'm not saying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8q8PXoJwVk
https://i.imgur.com/oIXTMmY.jpeg

That's all you have left: taking only part of a point and then trolling with memes. And only because the evidence you gave went against you.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed