Aliens: Dark Descent

Started by BlueMarsalis79, Jun 09, 2022, 06:09:08 PM

Author
Aliens: Dark Descent (Read 52,586 times)

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 10, 2023, 05:05:02 PM
Quote from: ralfy on Dec 10, 2023, 06:24:34 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 09, 2023, 04:48:16 AMI'm not saying write and publish fan-fiction (although I guess you can do what you want), just that you are not beholden to what some company thinks is or isn't "canon".

Some will argue something is canon and some will argue otherwise, but what will be released and shown is what's approved by those who own the IP. Meanwhile, the latter can choose to go against those, too.

Well I mean sure, the IP holders can decide what is or isn't "officially canon" whenever they want, my point is that you shouldn't care what they say and should do what makes you happy. They can't "force" you to believe something is or isn't canon.

People are fans of these shows obviously because they see them on TV and the movies, play them in games, read them in comic books and novels, etc. Except for fan-made works, these are released with permission of the IP owners. So whatever you see in them is officially canon, whether you like it or not.

Now, you can argue that something isn't, but the only way you can prove that is to create works that defy what the owners allowed. But you will need to spend money and probably even face legal problems by doing so. If you don't, then what you keep arguing should be so only takes place in your imagination.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: ralfy on Dec 11, 2023, 12:38:34 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 09, 2023, 04:48:16 AMI'm not saying write and publish fan-fiction (although I guess you can do what you want), just that you are not beholden to what some company thinks is or isn't "canon".

Some will argue something is canon and some will argue otherwise, but what will be released and shown is what's approved by those who own the IP. Meanwhile, the latter can choose to go against those, too.

Well I mean sure, the IP holders can decide what is or isn't "officially canon" whenever they want, my point is that you shouldn't care what they say and should do what makes you happy. They can't "force" you to believe something is or isn't canon.

People are fans of these shows obviously because they see them on TV and the movies, play them in games, read them in comic books and novels, etc. Except for fan-made works, these are released with permission of the IP owners. So whatever you see in them is officially canon, whether you like it or not.

Now, you can argue that something isn't, but the only way you can prove that is to create works that defy what the owners allowed. But you will need to spend money and probably even face legal problems by doing so. If you don't, then what you keep arguing should be so only takes place in your imagination.

I'm not sure you understand; independent of your ability to make fan fiction or not, "official canon" is a nonsense concept designed to guide creative talent as they make new licensed material, it is not a useful concept for the end user.

If Titan writes an officially licensed book called "Aliens: Ripley" which reveals that Ripley had a twin sister who got abducted by Engineers when they were 10 and the Engineers transformed the sister into a cat who ended up being Jones in 'Alien' and Ripley didn't know it, you are not obligated to take that book as "canon" just because Fox/Disney/whoever says it's "officially canon".

You can say, "no thanks, I don't like it, that's stupid" and ignore it wholesale and there is not a single thing anyone can do to stop you.

Likewise, if you were to create a cool character in the Alien RPG and you really liked them and their adventures and you wanted to incorporate them into your head-canon, there is also nothing anyone can do to stop you.

For the end-user, head-canon trumps "official canon" 100% of the time.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

All canons are welcome

Spoiler
[close]

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 11, 2023, 01:07:16 AMIf Titan writes an officially licensed book called "Aliens: Ripley" which reveals that Ripley had a twin sister who got abducted by Engineers when they were 10 and the Engineers transformed the sister into a cat who ended up being Jones in 'Alien' and Ripley didn't know it
Titan, if you're reading this, call me.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Might as well call ralfy for a Burke origin..

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 11, 2023, 01:07:16 AM
Quote from: ralfy on Dec 11, 2023, 12:38:34 AM

I'm not sure you understand; independent of your ability to make fan fiction or not, "official canon" is a nonsense concept designed to guide creative talent as they make new licensed material, it is not a useful concept for the end user.

If Titan writes an officially licensed book called "Aliens: Ripley" which reveals that Ripley had a twin sister who got abducted by Engineers when they were 10 and the Engineers transformed the sister into a cat who ended up being Jones in 'Alien' and Ripley didn't know it, you are not obligated to take that book as "canon" just because Fox/Disney/whoever says it's "officially canon".

You can say, "no thanks, I don't like it, that's stupid" and ignore it wholesale and there is not a single thing anyone can do to stop you.

Likewise, if you were to create a cool character in the Alien RPG and you really liked them and their adventures and you wanted to incorporate them into your head-canon, there is also nothing anyone can do to stop you.

For the end-user, head-canon trumps "official canon" 100% of the time.

As long as IP holders approve that book, then there's nothing you can do about it. You can ignore it, but it's still canon. If you try to remedy it by coming up with your own book and receive no authorization, then you will be blocked legally, and your idea will only remain in your head. At best, you can only have fan fiction.

Why is this important? Because of the definition of "canon":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_(fiction)

QuoteThe canon of a work of fiction is "the body of works taking place in a particular fictional world that are widely considered to be official or authoritative; [especially] those created by the original author or developer of the world".[2] Canon is contrasted with, or used as the basis for, works of fan fiction and other derivative works.[3]

That means if there's anything that makes no sense, it's the idea of a "head-canon." That's because with that there's no wide consideration at all, as your view is not official or authoritative.

What to make, then, of your example? You can argue that the story of a Ripley twin is stupid and that you don't like it, but it's still canon because the IP holders approved it. Similarly, for example, I have to acknowledge the fact that Max's child is no longer a boy but a girl because of what was depicted in Fury Road. How to explain the discrepancy? Maybe future writers can include in the canon that Max became delusional in the first movie such that he thought all along that he had a boy when it was actually a girl.

Quote from: kwisatz on Dec 11, 2023, 02:24:32 AMMight as well call ralfy for a Burke origin..

Cameron already explained that.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: ralfy on Dec 11, 2023, 08:47:44 AMYou can ignore it, but it's still canon.
The point is that it doesn't matter; you can ignore "official canon" at will with no repercussions.

Quote from: ralfy on Dec 11, 2023, 08:47:44 AMThat means if there's anything that makes no sense, it's the idea of a "head-canon." That's because with that there's no wide consideration at all, as your view is not official or authoritative.
My view doesn't have to be official or authoritative for anyone but me, and my view trumps the company line of the IP holder 100% of the time. I am not obligated to listen to, care about, or follow anything the IP holders think or say, and there is nothing they (or anyone else) can do about it.

Quote from: ralfy on Dec 11, 2023, 08:47:44 AMSimilarly, for example, I have to acknowledge the fact that Max's child is no longer a boy but a girl because of what was depicted in Fury Road. How to explain the discrepancy? Maybe future writers can include in the canon that Max became delusional in the first movie such that he thought all along that he had a boy when it was actually a girl.
Your choice of Mad Max is interesting because the series is explicitly presented as unreliable-narrator folklore by George Miller; discrepancies and inconsistencies are specifically baked into the setting, on purpose.

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

(The girl in the Fury Road flashbacks isn't supposed to be his kid. It's a child he failed to save in a prequel comic that nobody read.)

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: Nukiemorph on Dec 11, 2023, 09:36:55 PM(The girl in the Fury Road flashbacks isn't supposed to be his kid. It's a child he failed to save in a prequel comic that nobody read.)
I think I read it, but it was so forgettable. There was also something related to it in the Mad Max game.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Wweyland on Dec 11, 2023, 10:52:47 PM
Quote from: Nukiemorph on Dec 11, 2023, 09:36:55 PM(The girl in the Fury Road flashbacks isn't supposed to be his kid. It's a child he failed to save in a prequel comic that nobody read.)
I think I read it, but it was so forgettable. There was also something related to it in the Mad Max game.
The mad max game was awesome.

Speaking of games, Aliens: Dark Descent is a videogame! Anyone have any tips for dealing with the Queen you find down in the mines?

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 11, 2023, 10:54:50 PM

Speaking of games, Aliens: Dark Descent is a videogame! Anyone have any tips for dealing with the Queen you find down in the mines?

Tips? Focus fire on the Queen. Your best bet always is to kill her before she gets to you, cause when she does, it's game over very quickly. It would be good for you to have at least one new weapon. A flamer is good for making and arc of flame (drag and drop to make a wall of fire) so that you're protected against the huggers. A sniper rifle does great damage. Grenades are a must to stun the Queen and interrupt her charge. Before attacking, heal and have full command points at the ready. Use adrenalin when you can and use the "tactical analysis" option (costs you 1 tool for instant 2 command point regen). have one sentry pointed the way you came, behind you, and at least one if not 2 pointed at the door before you enter and meet the Queen. Once the cinematic is done, you can go back, opening the door and giving your turrets a clear line of fire. If you know how to turn your sentries that is.

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 11, 2023, 03:38:58 PM
Quote from: ralfy on Dec 11, 2023, 08:47:44 AMYou can ignore it, but it's still canon.
The point is that it doesn't matter; you can ignore "official canon" at will with no repercussions.

Quote from: ralfy on Dec 11, 2023, 08:47:44 AMThat means if there's anything that makes no sense, it's the idea of a "head-canon." That's because with that there's no wide consideration at all, as your view is not official or authoritative.
My view doesn't have to be official or authoritative for anyone but me, and my view trumps the company line of the IP holder 100% of the time. I am not obligated to listen to, care about, or follow anything the IP holders think or say, and there is nothing they (or anyone else) can do about it.

Quote from: ralfy on Dec 11, 2023, 08:47:44 AMSimilarly, for example, I have to acknowledge the fact that Max's child is no longer a boy but a girl because of what was depicted in Fury Road. How to explain the discrepancy? Maybe future writers can include in the canon that Max became delusional in the first movie such that he thought all along that he had a boy when it was actually a girl.
Your choice of Mad Max is interesting because the series is explicitly presented as unreliable-narrator folklore by George Miller; discrepancies and inconsistencies are specifically baked into the setting, on purpose.

You can ignore or support it, but there are repercussions. If most people don't like the way the franchise is being developed, then they'll turn away. When that happens, the franchise dies, and the owners can have it remained buried indefinitely.

Of course, your view doesn't have to be authoritative or official, as it's all just in your head. Even your claim that your view trumps what is official is also just in your head.

But when fans talk about canon, they're not talking about what's in each person's head because that's irrelevant. The very definition of the term, as you explained to you earlier, is what's widely considered to be official and authoritative, and the only ones who can state what's official and authoritative are the ones who own it. Your view stays in your head or whoever fans will follow and support you.

Finally, I don't remember seeing what you said in the first three Mad Max movies. What I do remember is that he patterned the story after literary works inspired by myths, like Moby-Dick. Hence, characters with names like Toe Cutter and Starbuck.

From what I remember, the child in the first movie is not only a boy but an infant, and run over by bikes. I can't remember the flashback that much, but it was like a young girl run over by cars. Also, the one who was run over like that, and by bikes, was Max's wife. The camera only shows the infant's shoe; or was it a toy?

Also, Max's hair becomes long as his vehicle returns, and he's attacked by gangsters. It alludes to the second movie, where he has shorter hair and confronts fewer men. His hair becomes longer only in the third movie, and he no longer has the car.

After the flashback, his hair becomes short again.

It's as if they've been retconning events repeatedly across various media and within the new movie itself.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 11, 2023, 10:54:50 PMThe mad max game was awesome.

That's why the twin of canon is acceptance: as long as people will rush and pay for it, producers will make more of it.

In this case, if they make changes in things like video games and the latter become popular, then they'll depict that in future movies.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: ralfy on Dec 12, 2023, 12:04:27 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 11, 2023, 03:38:58 PM

You can ignore or support it, but there are repercussions. If most people don't like the way the franchise is being developed, then they'll turn away. When that happens, the franchise dies, and the owners can have it remained buried indefinitely.

Of course, your view doesn't have to be authoritative or official, as it's all just in your head. Even your claim that your view trumps what is official is also just in your head.

But when fans talk about canon, they're not talking about what's in each person's head because that's irrelevant. The very definition of the term, as you explained to you earlier, is what's widely considered to be official and authoritative, and the only ones who can state what's official and authoritative are the ones who own it. Your view stays in your head or whoever fans will follow and support you.
I know what "canon" means lol, I've probably been arguing about it since before you were born.

The point is that what's in my head, my head-canon, is absolutely more important than what some company says is canon. "What fans talk about" is meaningless, official canon is not a useful concept for fans or consumers. Fans (including you!) are empowered to decide for themselves what they personally want to accept as canon, independent of any "official" claims.
Even if you said "I am choosing to follow the official canon", that is a personal choice you are making, independent of the IP owners. If that's what brings you the most enjoyment then great! Keep doing it! But at the end of the day that personal choice is still head-canon (even if it aligns with the official canon). No one is forcing you, the consumer, to follow the official canon, you are choosing to.

Quote from: ralfy on Dec 12, 2023, 12:04:27 AMFinally, I don't remember seeing what you said in the first three Mad Max movies. What I do remember is that he patterned the story after literary works inspired by myths, like Moby-Dick. Hence, characters with names like Toe Cutter and Starbuck.
https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/23984150/furiosa-mad-max-timeline-trailer-continuity

Quote from: Still Collating... on Dec 11, 2023, 11:50:05 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 11, 2023, 10:54:50 PM

Tips? Focus fire on the Queen. Your best bet always is to kill her before she gets to you, cause when she does, it's game over very quickly. It would be good for you to have at least one new weapon. A flamer is good for making and arc of flame (drag and drop to make a wall of fire) so that you're protected against the huggers. A sniper rifle does great damage. Grenades are a must to stun the Queen and interrupt her charge. Before attacking, heal and have full command points at the ready. Use adrenalin when you can and use the "tactical analysis" option (costs you 1 tool for instant 2 command point regen). have one sentry pointed the way you came, behind you, and at least one if not 2 pointed at the door before you enter and meet the Queen. Once the cinematic is done, you can go back, opening the door and giving your turrets a clear line of fire. If you know how to turn your sentries that is.
I have 1 flamethrower and that's my only special weapon, and I have 1 sentry gun that I don't know how to turn around lol

Wweyland

Wweyland

The Queens die surprisingly fast. I just shoot them in the face with grenades and focus fire.

Thatguy2068

Thatguy2068

Quote from: Wweyland on Dec 12, 2023, 01:48:31 PMThe Queens die surprisingly fast. I just shoot them in the face with grenades and focus fire.
Yeah they're actually not too hard to kill especially on nightmare

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed