Developer comments on sequel or unused ideas?

Started by quijju, Oct 16, 2018, 04:45:51 AM

Author
Developer comments on sequel or unused ideas? (Read 3,071 times)

Corporal Hicks

If anyone hasn't released, nrcheever worked on the game. You can see some of the stuff he posted here: http://www.curiousconstructs.com/games/avp2/

Wweyland

Thanks for all the great insights on AvP2, never knew this.

KingKenny

KingKenny

Quote from: nrcheever on Oct 19, 2019, 10:11:08 PM
My memory is fuzzy, but you can ask me questions to kick it around. Maybe something of note will spill out from my time on the project.

I do have notes somewhere of what I wanted to call a "Designer's Cut" for the game which would rebalance some things add in some levels that were cut.  Like we had an earlier level where you got the sniper rifle and had to use it in this canyon run.  I remember being disappointed Fox Interactive didn't want my help with the add-on pack by the Third Law guys.

If I remember right I also had to push to get the mod material out to you guys, because Monolith was sort of done with working AVP.  We didn't even get a release party and were split up into other other teams.  Some looked down on the project because it was a franchise even though it made more $$$ than others they were doing at the time.

Here's a fun bit... the image I made to keep track of where the levels were taking place:

Hey,

Glad to see you here. I enjoyed looking at your videos off your site.

Since you worked on the pods missions, can you recall what was with the unused audio of Harrison when he escaped the pods?

The dialogue is between a POC guard and Harrison (in his newly acquired gear/uniform). The guard asks for Harrison's identification and Harrison says "right here". Was this a cutscene that was planned or cut? What was Harrison's "identification"? lol.

Also with the modding tools, was there ever anything extra made for abc or lta model support? These file formats were not adopted well by other modeling programs over the years. Exporters for abc were released, but there were no importers.

Speaking of models. What were the original plans for all those cut models? The striker (mosquito looking thing), bulagh (some alien-rhino), etc?

You ever thought of releasing a "custom map" for fun for the fans in 2019?

nrcheever

Heh, it was so long ago I don't remember everything.  Also I was only a regular Level Designer at time doing my own thing while everyone else did their individual thing.  The PODs for example had 3 different interior looks because there was no Environmental Art Director.  My 2nd iteration was making them look like the Nostromo.  The Lobby at the bridge connection points was another style that Courtney did I believe.  There was yet another version for some side rooms Dan Thibs did.

At the time in-game maps weren't really a thing as well as level flowing back-and-forth.  I did my best to add Map panels on each floor and icons above each door frame to suggest what was further down.  I'm pretty sure you can still put all the levels together into one mega level map to have everything connected with no funny overlapping rooms or hallways.

In regards to Harrison, I don't remember the story elements.  There was a story crew who came in to all the levels to wire up the cutscenes.  As with typical game development some things are cut for timing while others are cut because it didn't look right.  This was probably the case with the cut models.  Good ideas, but there was never enough time to make them good or give them exciting encounters.

Random related bit to game dev -- on the Turok game I worked on, a huge character was cut in the last year of production.  You used to have a girl companion (inspired by Newt!) who followed you around in the jungles.

The file format issue was probably another typical "early days" problem with every studio trying to create their own engine, and therefore their own tech.  Which meant there was little commerical support for it outside of "it works good enough" internally.

I think have a version of Maya 4.0 which featured a way to convert AvP Talon Engine levels to NOLFs Jupiter Engine.  I remember the one thing they didn't get right was instance scaling of some textures... so some would import either too big or too small to their original use.  Once in Maya though, you could in theory export levels to any format (as raw polys and no longer BSP).

It'd be fun to do another level!  All my time is spent learning new tech for my current projects so I haven't had time.  Like I said before though, it'd be awesome if someone like Fox or Sega would remaster AvP2.  Rebalance some known issue and give it some modern Console perks.

windebieste

People still use DEdit to make custom maps for the game.  There was one released very recently, just last week if I am correct. 

It's unfortunate that today's game publishers are only interested in 'fire & forget' titles and don't release SDKs any more.  A game like 'ALIENS: Colonial Marines' could have greatly benefited from it and had a massive mod following.  *sigh*

The upside of it all it is 'AvP2' will live forever because there's always someone wanting to experiment and/or be creative with the toolset.

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed