Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, Feb 14, 2010, 05:34:49 PM

Author
Fan Reviews (Read 88,352 times)

Bhaal

Bhaal

Complaints :
--- the netcode - i mean come on avp2 had huge lags, and this one got them as well. At least avp2 didn't lock like this one does , so you wake up dead
--- Marine: nice, but somehow i find it hard to aim, its like the pulse rifle sucks at accuracy. The avp2 pulse rifle was better
--- Predator: once you get hit you cant move, or you move very slow. That usually means one shot and you're dead. Also i hate this about the autojumping : you can get stealth killed while nearly completing one, if your hit by bullets no more jump.
--- Disc : servers should have weapon restrictions. Its just stupid when you have the most powerful melee character throwing the disk at you in the middle of a melee fight. Not to mention spawn kills.
--- Predator : bring back the old style weapons. I like the secondary weapon system but somehow i miss having other weapons... you know except wrist blades. Keep the focus jump but bring back the old-school high jumping. Give the pred more health,or make him faster, so once you get hit you can run.
---Alien : i don't know how you did it in the first game but wallwalking there was great. You could just spiral through corridors. Here if you meet a small bump you start climbing it. Not fun.

Gratitudes:
Graphics : i like em, they're great, even though the atmosphere is not that scary...
Predator/alien melee system. I actually love it. Jump-attack, blocking....it cool.
Stealth kills/grab kills: spectacular. Although in multiplayer they should be limited. I thought of this : the stealth/grab kills should only be possible if the target is unde 40% health or something like that. Taking lag into consideration its annoying when an alien / pred gets behind you and he presses E, you die no chance of fighting back, even if at full health. Stealth spawn kills would also be eliminated.

So much for now and i want to see your progress Rebellion.

Being a big fan of AvP franchise, this game surprised me, being a big departure from AvP2, and not always in a good way.

P.S. For 15 Gigs of game the campaigns are terribly short. 2.5 Hrs to finish the pred campaign. Come on...

Urban Hunter

Urban Hunter

Quote from: Bhaal on Mar 03, 2010, 08:34:00 PM
. Give the pred more health

no its fine.

nubi

nubi

Complaints :
--- the netcode - i mean come on avp2 had huge lags, and this one got them as well. At least avp2 didn't lock like this one does , so you wake up dead
--- Marine: nice, but somehow i find it hard to aim, its like the pulse rifle sucks at accuracy. The avp2 pulse rifle was better
--- Predator: once you get hit you cant move, or you move very slow. That usually means one shot and you're dead. Also i hate this about the autojumping : you can get stealth killed while nearly completing one, if your hit by bullets no more jump.
--- Disc : servers should have weapon restrictions. Its just stupid when you have the most powerful melee character throwing the disk at you in the middle of a melee fight. Not to mention spawn kills.
--- Predator : bring back the old style weapons. I like the secondary weapon system but somehow i miss having other weapons... you know except wrist blades. Keep the focus jump but bring back the old-school high jumping. Give the pred more health,or make him faster, so once you get hit you can run.
---Alien : i don't know how you did it in the first game but wallwalking there was great. You could just spiral through corridors. Here if you meet a small bump you start climbing it. Not fun.

Gratitudes:
Graphics : i like em, they're great, even though the atmosphere is not that scary...
Predator/alien melee system. I actually love it. Jump-attack, blocking....it cool.
Stealth kills/grab kills: spectacular. Although in multiplayer they should be limited. I thought of this : the stealth/grab kills should only be possible if the target is unde 40% health or something like that. Taking lag into consideration its annoying when an alien / pred gets behind you and he presses E, you die no chance of fighting back, even if at full health. Stealth spawn kills would also be eliminated.

So much for now and i want to see your progress Rebellion.

Being a big fan of AvP franchise, this game surprised me, being a big departure from AvP2, and not always in a good way.

P.S. For 15 Gigs of game the campaigns are terribly short. 2.5 Hrs to finish the pred campaign. Come on...
i lol'd

Lie

Lie

Quote from: Urban Hunter on Mar 03, 2010, 08:45:09 PM
. Give the pred more health

no its fine.

Whats the hell, out of all the comments I heard/read about the game "Preds need more health" hearing that the word "NO" come out of my mouth like I have turrets.

Bhaal

Bhaal

I said give him more health or make him faster when he gets hit. I get face to face with a marine and if i get one bullet i'm dead. In AVP2 you could retreat, in this one you can not. Once you get hit, you get slow motion or you get stuck.

Huol

Huol

Whats wrong with you?

Lie

Lie

I say we hit him over the head with a stick, then maybe he'll learn that predators have enough health because if they had anymore it would be unfair.

genozide

genozide

Quote from: chrisr232007 on Mar 03, 2010, 07:36:44 PM
Genozide I could not said it better myself which your review was spot on for how I fill about the game.

Thank you.  :) Appretiate you liked it.

YutaniDitch

YutaniDitch

Ok, have finished the game for some time now, but I only remembered to post my final analysis:

Well, first of all, the majority of the graphical and sound hiccups problems got solved by switching to Xp instead of Windows 7 and by also installing the latest graphical and sound drivers... Still, there are parts where sound is missing and some graphical issues that I think got fixed by the patch 2 that came out earlier this week... And I said ' I think' because there is no way I am gonna download it via Steam... I find it immoral that a person has to suck up to steam to get the patches that were REQUIRED to be already in the retail DVD... Just another immoral way to earn extra bucks at the costs of other people's 'vices'...  ::) :o ;D

I think with the fixes the game got much better (I somehow was unable to see the Predator's voice synthesizer) and the game is solid enough for me... This just shows that the Direct x 11 is a mirage, since even in Direct X 10 mode the game is utterly unstable...

The Alien ending got some of the fans of the 'warrior turning to Queen' excited... And the egg-morphing ones not so enthused...I am  :-\...

So, I liked the game, and it is a breath of fresh air after the Modern Warfares, I guess... Still maintain the criticism of the first preview-review I did before since there are still a few gameplay things that become more noticeable the higher the difficulty level... I mean, apart from the Sniper Rifle, no weapon is really good to kill Aliens... The Pulse Rifle takes way too long to kill them, not to mention the sidearm... The Flamethrower is useless, and so is the SmartGun, because the times we use them, the Aliens come from multiple sidesa, and so the tracking becomes useless... The shotgun is, I bet, intentionally scarce...And that is about it as far as weaponry goes... The smartgun occupying two out of three weapon slots, leaving only the sidearm available, didn't make me happy either... especially with the ammo available for the SG...

Apart from that, I am more and more in love with the graphics...The story, well, let's just say it was nowhere near AVP2... AVP2's story with these graphics would have been HOORAH!

Still, the best review I can give it is that it is my default game on my PC...I install others and then uninstall them once they're finished, but this one has been there... As it happened with AVP and AVP2...

This game is a thrill... It could have been better, yes, but so can most, if not all games that come out... The point is how entertained you get with the game?  It is cool to stalk humans as the Alien or Predator and it is cool to use the more traditional FPS as the Marine to see more clearly the differences and MOs of the three creatures... That is what attracted me more to the AVP games than the movies they are inspired from...

And the killshots still give me 'joygasms'... even when I am getting hit by Aliens while doing that... The Aliens, the Predators are very well designed, the human faces up close are impressive... The gameplay is a bit hard at first but then it is like a vice: the jumping part of the Predator is now instinctive, the Alien movements even more so (too bad we cannot pick the humans up when we are on the ceiling or on a wall and do the Killshot like that...too bad) and the Marines, well, they are more déjá vu but still competently crafted to make them worthwhile... The gun 'aim heaviness' thing is a bit disappointing, and the 'melee' is preposterous, but if not for the melee, I would have been toast many times...So, once we swallow it, we're fine...Though for the next installment, I hope they focus more on the story and the Marines' gameplay, because it is clearly the weakest of the bunch...  ??? ;D

So, as my FINAL MARK, I would give a 8.5 to the game... The story's lack of cohesive interlinkage between all 3 creatures and some holes in it as well; the marine's gameplay and the remaining glitches take the 1 point I was willing to give it...Still, the gameplay is addictive and the graphics are stunning... ;)

Porkus Maximus

Porkus Maximus

QuoteWell, first of all, the majority of the graphical and sound hiccups problems got solved by switching to Xp instead of Windows 7 and by also installing the latest graphical and sound drivers... Still, there are parts where sound is missing and some graphical issues that I think got fixed by the patch 2 that came out earlier this week... And I said ' I think' because there is no way I am gonna download it via Steam... I find it immoral that a person has to suck up to steam to get the patches that were REQUIRED to be already in the retail DVD... Just another immoral way to earn extra bucks at the costs of other people's 'vices'...  ::) :o ;D

What the f**k are you talking about?  Steam is free, and auto-updates your products for you completely removing the need to check forums and websites for download links.

Aeus

Aeus

Watch it Porkus.

-Sharky-

-Sharky-

Quote from: Bhaal on Mar 03, 2010, 09:23:39 PM
I said give him more health or make him faster when he gets hit. I get face to face with a marine and if i get one bullet i'm dead. In AVP2 you could retreat, in this one you can not. Once you get hit, you get slow motion or you get stuck.

I'm gonna ask you a simple question: Are you relatively good in computer games? The reason why I ask this is because that comment of yours makes me think otherwise.

spinksy

spinksy

Great reveiw genozide.

Spot on!

Oh and just want to add that I read on here someone said thet AvP was really heavily traded in at game stores - I went into Norwich where I live and couldnt find a single pre-owned copy in any of the computer shops (3 game stores and 1 gamestation).

genozide

genozide

Quote from: spinksy on Mar 04, 2010, 05:02:17 PM
Great reveiw genozide.

Spot on!

Oh and just want to add that I read on here someone said thet AvP was really heavily traded in at game stores - I went into Norwich where I live and couldnt find a single pre-owned copy in any of the computer shops (3 game stores and 1 gamestation).

Thank you spinksy  :)
I had trouble finding it in the local shops or getting it preordered locally, which was a first. so i ordered through a netstore and from HMV.

YutaniDitch

YutaniDitch

Quote from: Porkus Maximus on Mar 04, 2010, 02:45:01 PM
QuoteWell, first of all, the majority of the graphical and sound hiccups problems got solved by switching to Xp instead of Windows 7 and by also installing the latest graphical and sound drivers... Still, there are parts where sound is missing and some graphical issues that I think got fixed by the patch 2 that came out earlier this week... And I said ' I think' because there is no way I am gonna download it via Steam... I find it immoral that a person has to suck up to steam to get the patches that were REQUIRED to be already in the retail DVD... Just another immoral way to earn extra bucks at the costs of other people's 'vices'...  ::) :o ;D

What the f**k are you talking about?  Steam is free, and auto-updates your products for you completely removing the need to check forums and websites for download links.

Ever since Half-Life 2, which took me 60 minutes to activate via STEAM :o, this concept is annoying as hell...

Call me old-fashioned or just plain careful, but I like to CHOOSE which updates I see fit... And not risk messing up the already frail PC configs... >:(

;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed