Started by Chris P, May 29, 2008, 10:09:26 PM

Which ALIEN design did you preffer out of:  AVP  &   AVPR

AVP
175 (66.8%)
AVPR
87 (33.2%)

Total Members Voted: 243

Author
Which ALIEN design did you prefer out of: AVP & AVPR (Read 91,701 times)

SpaceMarines

Yeah, the AvP one completely abandoned the biomechanical nature of the previous creatures, but at least it tried to not blatantly look like a man in a suit.

MadassAlex

I prefer the AvPR design.

Personally, I feel it was truer to the concept of the Alien creature. Where AvP depicted them as slender - if horrific - avatars of death, AvPR got it right. Their sheer bulk and infantile physical attributes were perfect.

Let's be honest; Giger and Scott were nutjobs to make the Alien as it was. Psychosexuality? Disgusting. Strength and resilience? No-one wants to watch something where the villain might actually win. Intelligence? Not necessary for a drone under the express psychic command of a Queen.

On that topic, the Queen really should've been in Alien. Scott was a complete retard for leaving it out. After all, how cool is the Queen, aight?

SiL

God damn, dude, don't scare me like that.

SpaceMarines

Quote from: MadassAlex on Feb 21, 2010, 05:53:36 AM

Personally, I feel it was truer to the concept of the Alien creature. Where AvP depicted them as slender - if horrific - avatars of death, AvPR got it right. Their sheer bulk and infantile physical attributes were perfect.

Let's be honest; Giger and Scott were nutjobs to make the Alien as it was. Psychosexuality? Disgusting. Strength and resilience? No-one wants to watch something where the villain might actually win. Intelligence? Not necessary for a drone under the express psychic command of a Queen.

On that topic, the Queen really should've been in Alien. Scott was a complete retard for leaving it out. After all, how cool is the Queen, aight?

My god! The sarcasm-detector just exploded!

Huol

Quote from: SiL on Feb 21, 2010, 05:57:46 AM
God damn, dude, don't scare me like that.

HES GONE INTO CARDIAC ARREST.

I NEED A CRASH CART IN HERE

shakermakerman

Quote from: XenoVC on Feb 15, 2010, 11:43:17 PM
Quote from: The Demon on Feb 15, 2010, 06:16:11 PM
I kinda like the direction they went for but it still failed horribly.

They had a direction for this?

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/gallery/albums/movies/avp2/productionstills/productionstill36.jpg

:D i remember pictures poping up when avpr was being made and ppl saying they will look better when they do the colour grading :D

TJ Doc

Impressive... you gradually turned my angry face into a happy one!

Xeros Kore

Quote from: Stalker on May 31, 2008, 02:38:40 AM
Quote from: Chris P on May 30, 2008, 08:02:59 PM
The jaw on the Aliens from AVPR were a little bit much.  If they kept the AVP Alien design, just changed the head to what they were in AVPR (GRID) that would have looked better.

I think you might be mixed up. "Grid" was the nickname of the alien in AVP which killed Celtic & Scar, identified by the grid-like marks on its head caused by Celtic's net.

I thought the Queen killed Scar :P

SpaceMarines

Quote from: TJ Doc on Feb 21, 2010, 03:06:16 PM

Impressive... you gradually turned my angry face into a happy one!

Few people have been able to do that.

scarhunter92

AvP-R's since it reminded me of Aliens' design which is, IMO, the best one for me. They can hide way better on hive's walls with ridged heads.

SpaceMarines

It doesn't even look like an Alien! Hell, it doesn't even look like a living creature; it looks blatantly like a man in a suit!

Xeros Kore

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Feb 21, 2010, 06:06:47 PM
It doesn't even look like an Alien! Hell, it doesn't even look like a living creature; it looks blatantly like a man in a suit!

So did the creature in ALIEN ande ALIENS.  Usually the ones in AvP didn't, but that's because it was usually either a puppet or CG for anything but the extreme closeups. 

If we are talking about how the design is presented, then yes, I'd go with AvP for the reasons I just mentioned, as both a puppet and a CG character are able to look more slender than a person in a suit can.  (i voted for AvP because of this)

If it is the ACTUAL design - ie ridges vs dome, tail length, etc, and we aren't considering the effectiveness of the cinematography for hiding the fact that a suit is being used, then I would go with AvP-R

SpaceMarines

No, they looked like living creatures, with a distinct biomechanical feel. Couple that up with the great lighting that they used in the film, and it was a seamless effect.

The actual design of the suit? Okay, here you go, but I warn you, it is nauseating:

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Feb 21, 2010, 06:27:14 PM
No, they looked like living creatures, with a distinct biomechanical feel.
Alien had its bad moments...

But that does not solve the fact that Alien is from 1979, AvPR instead is from 2007. 28 freakin'years of improvement, for what?

SpaceMarines

Okay, yes. A few bad moments, but for the majority of the film, it looked living.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed