Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 186,674 times)

Wweyland

70 billion, that is minus payload of course?

Perfect-Organism

Richman678

Quote from: The Old One on Jun 20, 2018, 04:11:09 PM
Quote from: Richman678 on Jun 20, 2018, 04:01:28 PM
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/20/disney-raises-bid-for-fox-assets-to-38-a-share.html

Yeah I was gonna post it looks like Disney is now paying over 70 Billion for Fox. Looks like Disney is gonna make sure they keep it. Comcast wont be able to top them either.

Remember Disney wants to put out a version of Netflix that everyone will flock to. I would also imagine this is where we will see the Alien Saga continue.

As long as I can continue to get the Alien series on physical media, fine by me.

Anticipating the inevitable incoming storm of "It's all Disney's fault!" from the uninformed in regards to Alien and Predator now though.

Well if Disney picks a good person to run the Alien Franchise then it might be ok. However this isn't Lucasfilm. I doubt every FOX Franchise will get it's own showrunner. I believe 1 person will manage the FOX properties that aren't Marvel related.

The Old One

The Old One

I don't think one person is likely, it'll either put specific franchises under observed management of some kind or simply allow operation to continue as is.

Wysps

Quote from: The Old One on Jun 20, 2018, 04:11:09 PM
Quote from: Richman678 on Jun 20, 2018, 04:01:28 PM
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/20/disney-raises-bid-for-fox-assets-to-38-a-share.html

Yeah I was gonna post it looks like Disney is now paying over 70 Billion for Fox. Looks like Disney is gonna make sure they keep it. Comcast wont be able to top them either.

Remember Disney wants to put out a version of Netflix that everyone will flock to. I would also imagine this is where we will see the Alien Saga continue.

As long as I can continue to get the Alien series on physical media, fine by me.

Anticipating the inevitable incoming storm of "It's all Disney's fault!" from the uninformed in regards to Alien and Predator now though.

This is basically how I feel also. I'll be content as long as we keep getting the goods, so to speak. I don't think the Alien and Predator franchises becoming Disney's baby is going to change much, it's not as though either series are geared towards kids/juveniles (and therefore suffer from the over-marketing machine.) I'd rather see them with Disney over Comcast, for better or worse.

Magegg

James Gunn could direct an Alien vs Predator flick?

Perfect-Organism

I'm ok with just letting go of AVP as it was done in the present time.  Alternatively, it could be done as an adaptation of the first AVP comic series, or something cool in the future.  Regardless, I'm not confident that it can be done well..

SM

You need someone who doesn't know shit about the comics or video games, but is clued in enough about the creatures that they could come at it with a fresh perspective.

Magegg

I was going to say Guillermo del Toro, but... after Hellboy 2 and Pacific Rim 2, I'm pretty clear he doesn't know how to manage franchises with continuing storylines.

The happy alien

Well, if Disney is purchasing by 70 billions (that's a fu***** lot of money) then they will probably need to use all the relevant franchis for recovering the money. But I think the most important is the new Predator movie.

whiterabbit

I don't think it's over since Comcast will likely add stock in the next bid. Rumors are 80b is how high Disney's shareholders are willing to go and no matter how much fox may want to go with Disney, Fox's shareholders could revolt.

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: Magegg on Jun 20, 2018, 09:16:52 PM
I was going to say Guillermo del Toro, but... after Hellboy 2 and Pacific Rim 2, I'm pretty clear he doesn't know how to manage franchises with continuing storylines.

I could definitely see him take on AVP: Deadliest of the Species.  I don't know if I'd want to see it in film though - the comic is trippy as it is (still can't get enough of the characters - quite the large 'cast'.)

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SM on Jun 20, 2018, 09:01:41 PM
You need someone who doesn't know shit about the comics or video games, but is clued in enough about the creatures that they could come at it with a fresh perspective.

I think the problem there is that AVP arose from the comics, and it would be tough to alienate the source material like that.  Definitely the Alien films have benefited from exotic environments in a far flung future.  To do that, would at least be a step in a positive direction.  Imagine predators stalking you on a space station like Sevastopol..

Anyway, I've said it before, but to me Alien films and Predator films just deal with different themes.  There is a certain high-brow element to the Alien films that the Predator films will never have.  The ideas tackled are just miles apart.  One series of films is about creation and artificial intelligence, and the other is about redneck hunting.  The two are not as compatible as we thought in the early nineties.

SM

Prometheus and Covenant are about creation and artificial intelligence.

All the others are about people running around in the dark getting eaten by monsters.  Which isn't terribly high brow.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed