ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 398,637 times)

Xenomrph

QuoteIf you were an android and you had conflicting instructions like that, what would you do?
I guess it would depend on if he has Company-specific programming (like Ash did). He's built by Weyland Yutani, but he's ostensibly USCM property. Would W-Y insert covert subroutines into his programming? We don't know.

There's also the Three Laws of Robotics - if Bishop knows how dangerous the Aliens are, would he knowingly endanger the characters by bringing an Alien onboard?

Quote from: SM on May 17, 2016, 10:05:20 PM
Bishop was never grey.  We only see him that way through Ripley's tainted lens.
Exactly this. Bishop is shown to be trustworthy all the way through the movie, it's only because of Ripley's bad experience with Ash that she's wary of him until he proves himself to her.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SM on May 17, 2016, 10:05:20 PM
Bishop was never grey.  We only see him that way through Ripley's tainted lens.

He was never grey in actuality as far as we know, but he was presented that way to us through the entire film right up until he shows up at the moment where he saves Ripley and Newt.  It gave a certain flavour to the character throughout most of the film.  Is he good, or bad?

What I am proposing would leave him in that grey area.  I mean in the far future, Ripley and Hicks could even pay a visit to Fiorina 161 and plug him back in to find out the truth.

SM

SM

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on May 17, 2016, 10:06:44 PM
Quote from: SM on May 17, 2016, 10:01:50 PM
In this instance it doesn't matter.  If Bishop refused Ripley or any of the marines would've destroyed them.

Hence why he would have brought the egg on board surreptitiously.

Have you read my post (somewhere in another thread), where I rationalize how Bishop doing this could lead to Alien 3 and Blomkamp's film co-existing?

No.

And Bishop would be breaking his first law by (somehow) bringing an egg on board.  The very fact he stuck around for Ripley tells us his first law is intact.

If he was bringing the huggers back in stasis, he could make an argument he wasn't breaking the first law since they didn't pose an immediate threat.

QuoteHe was never grey in actuality as far as we know, but he was presented that way to us through the entire film right up until he shows up at the moment where he saves Ripley and Newt.  It gave a certain flavour to the character throughout most of the film.  Is he good, or bad?

He's 'good'.  He never actually does anything to arouse suspicion.  When Ripley asks him to destroy the specimens, he doesn't make any attempt to hide Burke's instructions.  On Fiorina, he freely gives up information that would embarrass the Company (he's ECA so has no loyalty to the Company anyway).  He's never 'grey'.  The whole aspect of the film is a red herring, because we had a an evil robot in the first film

Xenomrph

Personally I think making him objectively grey (as in, not just in Ripley's head) drastically undermines his character and makes him less interesting. If I want a morally grey android, I'll re-watch 'Prometheus'.

Perfect-Organism

SM, I posted this on April 29 in the Topic:  "ALIEN DAY: Sigourney Weaver Talks A5 at Aliens Special Event" thread.  I would be really curious about your opinion SM, as the following fan-fiction actually allows for Blomkamp's Alin film and Alien 3 to co-exist...

On principle I agree that Alien 3 and Alien: R should just be ignored, but if they really had to mention it, I would consider the off-handed joke above, which could be a reference to any other jokes Ripley may have had in cryo-sleep, to be the maximum extent of what is needed.  I would prefer if they would just let it go and not mention anything.

But...

I think I have a solution for everything.  I have taken into account mostly what Cainsson said here, though keeping in mind what the skeptical Mr. Huda had said.  To make the story make sense, there would have to be motivation for the cloning.  I think I figured it out in a way that is neither convoluted, nor requires a retcon, and can in fact sync everything up nicely.  So here goes, in point form.

-Firstly, we have to accept the premise that Bishop is operating under conflicting directives.  Firstly, he is unable to harm a human being, but secondly, he has a specific request to secure an  return an alien to company labs.  But would Bishop consider a clone to be a human?  Do you see where I am going with this?

-So how did the eggs get on the Sulaco?  Simply, when Bishop was sent into the tunnels to get the second Dropship from the Sulaco, he went and secured 3 eggs from the egg chamber before the second dropship arrived.  At this time he knew that there were only 3 survivors.  He packed them neatly on the Dropship for return to company labs.  At no time did he intend any malice towards any of the humans though, because since he was a scientific android sent on a scientific mission, he had a lab on board the Sulaco where he could store and secure such organisms.

-Once everyone is sleeping, Bishop wakes up and gets to work.  But he is a bit of a spaz now that he is damaged.  During the weeks of sleep that everyone is under, he clones Ripley, Newt and Hicks for the purpose of incubation.  This does not conflict with his prime directive, because they are not humans.  He could just deliver the eggs whole to the company labs, but he is concerned that they may hatch and screw things up for everyone, so he figures the best bet is to have the eggs get fertilized inside the clones, so that they can be frozen for further study once he arrives back at company labs.

-He successfully impregnates CloneRipley, and while he is delivering the second egg, being a spaz, he falls over, it hatches, and just goes for Clone Hicks on its own but it cracks the glass, hurts itself, and the blood starts the electrical fire that destroys the ship.  This also explains why we have the burn marks inside the capsule from the acid. The clones are jettisoned along with Bishop to Fury 161, along with data on the cloning methods used.  Perhaps Bishop was funneling DNA directly from the originals and that is how memories got included?  I know this bit is a stretch.   So we have a dead facehugger that causes burn marks in the capsule, an impregnated Ripley Clone, Clones of Newt and Hicks, Bishop plus 1 unopened egg in the capsule, + the data.  When Bishop is reactivated in Alien 3, he sees that his Ripley clone is conscious and has all her memories and now that makes him guilty of violating his prime code.  So he asks to be deactivated.  The other egg hatches and impregnates the dog or ox.  Hicks and Newt clones never once had an y consciousness.

-In Alien Resurrection, the marines are still trying to use Bishops original data for cloning purposes.  In fact the previous point explains exactly why they went the cloning route, and how Ripley 8 was able to have memories.  They never bothered to clone Hicks and Newt because they had no Alien DNA associated with them.

-And that leaves the 3 remaining survivors from Aliens who are also jettisoned in their own EEV, but without Bishop.  That will deserve an explanation.  Then they are floating out there until Alien 5.  They are picked up eventually after they age about 30 years in stasis.  Ultimately, the theme of Alien 5 could be about them learning what happened.  Perhaps they could even end up frozen again after Alien 5 so that Ripley meets Ripley 8 eventually..

Local Trouble

SM

I thought you said it wasn't convoluted?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I'd still like to know when Bishop had an opportunity to make a detour to the bowels of the AP despite Cameron repeatedly cutting back to him either crawling through the tube or working at the uplink tower.

In all these years, none of the "Bishop did it" theorists have ever been able to adequately explain this.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

LOL, it did get convoluted towards the end, but in terms of reasons for why we would have Alien 3 and Resurrection remain in the series, it is the only thing I can think of that is a lesser evil, then having to do away with two awesome Alien films.  If you remember, I was actually the guy who started the FB page "Aliens Continuity Change" which has the premise of retconning films 3 and 4.  I never entertained the idea of allowing 3 an 4 to exist along with an alternate Ripley Hicks tale.  This approach would allow for that.  Do you really think it is more convoluted than the premise of Resurrection?

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 18, 2016, 12:23:06 AM
I'd still like to know when Bishop had an opportunity to make a detour to the bowels of the AP despite Cameron repeatedly cutting back to him either crawling through the tube or working at the uplink tower.

In all these years, none of the "Bishop did it" theorists have ever been able to adequately explain this.

Perhaps he found some Easter Eggs along the way that were deposited by playful Aliens?  I know its a stretch, but plan B is to retcon A3 and A4.

SM

Resurrection isn't especially convoluted.  It just builds on what's already there and takes it a new direction

Perfect-Organism

I would venture to say that cloning a dead character and bringing her back along with an alien, and her memories intact are no more or less convoluted than what I proposed.  Anyway, all the hard work you put in to make that fantastic WY volume come to reality would remain a canonical effort.  I'm not saying my solution is perfect, but maybe someone can riff off that.  Some of what I came up with actually comes from Cainsson on this forum..  As I said, I think the idea of making Blomkamp's film work with A3 and AR work together merits its own thread, so off I go to create one...

SM

Cloning a dead character had a point to the plot.  It was the only way they could get an Alien.

If WYR gets turned into something non-canonical, or partially non-canonical - it's neither here nor there.  It's not my book and I doubt Danelle is especially bothered.

Perfect-Organism

I think the volume is a treasure which ever way the story turns.  If the films get retconned, then it will become a compendium to the classic series, and hopefully we will have an updated, revised volume.  If it stays canon, then we will have hopefully an expanded version that will include Covenant and whatever else comes..

SM

It's a cool book whether the material gets uncanonised or not.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SM on May 18, 2016, 03:03:05 AM
It's a cool book whether the material gets uncanonised or not.

Absolutely.  It's a very cool book, and fans can only be grateful that it got done.  I'm glad especially that it got done before the retcon, otherwise we  might not have all that awesome Alien 3 and Resurrection material in it.  This way, even if we end up with 2 different volumes covering different timelines, we will still have all the material covered.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed