AVP-REDEMPTION short film

Started by alexpj19, Feb 08, 2008, 03:30:00 AM

Author
AVP-REDEMPTION short film (Read 325,747 times)

Celtic-predator

Celtic-predator

Quote from: MaJiNWaR on Apr 27, 2010, 05:59:27 PM
I simply stated aliens are ambushing creatures, they don't square off against anyone aside from the black dude in alien 3, like that wasn't much of a challenge. Even then it took the alien a good minute to kill him.

My point is, and still will be that aliens can not go toe to toe with a predator and win, they can't square off and overpower a veteran hunter/warrior. Maybe an unblooded pred like the ones seen in the first avp, but against a predator like scar, or the one that fought Dutch, sorry, not happening.

Can't wait to see the movie, the CGI use of the Predator's face in the trailer seemed to work. I have confidence the final product will be very finely polished. Just, please have a plot and characters that aren't walking, talking cliches.

Maybe Xenomorphs prefer to ambush people but that's just good combat tactics, it doesn't mean they don't have the means to go toe-to-toe with an enemy. The Xenomorphs are fast, strong, have a barbed tail and acidic blood. Why can't they take a veteran hunter? I'd say they would be perfectly engineered to go against anything its size and still come on top. Their intelligence and good sense to conduct ambushes is just a bonus.

You seem to imply that predators have 'power levels' or something, predators don't noticeably increase their size substantially in age. The only thing that changes is experience and that's debatable on how much that affects the combat in the first place. Sheer physical strength and speed would be the deciding factor in a brawl, there's no room for finesse when you're wielding massive wristblades. Besides, novice predators would probably be highly trained in combat even before their first blooding, (you can infer this because they're a warrior culture.)
I'd argue it wouldn't make a large difference if the Predators are veterans or newly blooded, there's only so much experience does for combat techniques when strength and speed would be the obvious deciding factor.   

Requiem28

Requiem28

STILL PUMPED!!!!

TITANOSAUR

TITANOSAUR

SUPER-ULTRA POWER BUMP!!!!!!!!!

hey anybody got the pics of that Predalien? I like to see them again.

MaJiNWaR

MaJiNWaR

Quote from: Celtic-predator on Apr 28, 2010, 09:31:58 AM
Quote from: MaJiNWaR on Apr 27, 2010, 05:59:27 PM
I simply stated aliens are ambushing creatures, they don't square off against anyone aside from the black dude in alien 3, like that wasn't much of a challenge. Even then it took the alien a good minute to kill him.

My point is, and still will be that aliens can not go toe to toe with a predator and win, they can't square off and overpower a veteran hunter/warrior. Maybe an unblooded pred like the ones seen in the first avp, but against a predator like scar, or the one that fought Dutch, sorry, not happening.

Can't wait to see the movie, the CGI use of the Predator's face in the trailer seemed to work. I have confidence the final product will be very finely polished. Just, please have a plot and characters that aren't walking, talking cliches.

Maybe Xenomorphs prefer to ambush people but that's just good combat tactics, it doesn't mean they don't have the means to go toe-to-toe with an enemy. The Xenomorphs are fast, strong, have a barbed tail and acidic blood. Why can't they take a veteran hunter? I'd say they would be perfectly engineered to go against anything its size and still come on top. Their intelligence and good sense to conduct ambushes is just a bonus.

You seem to imply that predators have 'power levels' or something, predators don't noticeably increase their size substantially in age. The only thing that changes is experience and that's debatable on how much that affects the combat in the first place. Sheer physical strength and speed would be the deciding factor in a brawl, there's no room for finesse when you're wielding massive wristblades. Besides, novice predators would probably be highly trained in combat even before their first blooding, (you can infer this because they're a warrior culture.)
I'd argue it wouldn't make a large difference if the Predators are veterans or newly blooded, there's only so much experience does for combat techniques when strength and speed would be the obvious deciding factor.   

Im not going to go on a self praising rant, but because of my profession and career, basic and advanced combat was part of my training. I'm no Chuck Norris, but I consider myself big and strong enough to be somewhat intimidating in a fight. However, despite my size, if I knew I was going up against someone with extensive experience then I would have something to worry about, despite his size. Speed and strength fall short in comparison to experience in most situations. Sure an 80 year old man with experience would lose against a 25yr old dude in his prime, but thinking realistically a 25 yr old dude in his prime against a 37 year old with years of experience and still relatively in shape, the advantage falls in favor of the experience.

"Chance favors the prepared mind." I would actually say the opposite to what you stated is actual fact. Theres only so much speed and strength can do for you, in the end experience will be the deciding factor.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: alexpj19 on Apr 28, 2010, 08:03:29 AM
guys dont forget all of my aliens are CGI interacting with an actor, im not a 3D guru so i had to work around alot of corners, like trying to choreograph the fights so they would be more realistic for me to do, of course  i wish i could do more with 3D animation but at this point my skills are still limited :( plus the dammage on the predator would be very hard to do in post, it takes alot of tracking and rotoscoping. so keep it in mind when u watch it. still tried to make the fights some what fun to watch.

alex, if it is even half of what we saw in the trailers, its amazing! Can't wait!

Celtic-predator

Celtic-predator

Quote from: MaJiNWaR on Apr 28, 2010, 08:03:20 PM
Im not going to go on a self praising rant, but because of my profession and career, basic and advanced combat was part of my training. I'm no Chuck Norris, but I consider myself big and strong enough to be somewhat intimidating in a fight. However, despite my size, if I knew I was going up against someone with extensive experience then I would have something to worry about, despite his size. Speed and strength fall short in comparison to experience in most situations. Sure an 80 year old man with experience would lose against a 25yr old dude in his prime, but thinking realistically a 25 yr old dude in his prime against a 37 year old with years of experience and still relatively in shape, the advantage falls in favor of the experience.

"Chance favors the prepared mind." I would actually say the opposite to what you stated is actual fact. Theres only so much speed and strength can do for you, in the end experience will be the deciding factor.

I'd agree only if two opponents were roughly matched, and I'm not going to debate the merits of physical attributes in comparison to experience, but the Predator uses wrist blades. They're long and unwieldy, there's no fancy maneuvers. The Predators just hack and slash with them. I doubt they'd really pick up anything revolutionary, simply because they're probably highly trained by the time of their first hunt and their very weapons would limit what they could do.
I'm sure experience would refine their skills, I'm not denying that but I remain convinced that experience in the Predator's case wouldn't be such a deciding factor.
The Aliens themselves have the same kind of combat technique in each case, they use their claws, tail, bite in open combat. I'd argue after fighting a certain number of Xenomorphs there'd be precious little gleaned. It's like observing a dog. They might have their quirks but they all walk on all fours and have fur.
Xenomorphs don't have martial art styles, they all universally bite and claw and impale people. That's why I think strength and speed would be a greater deciding factor in a straight up fight between an Alien and a Predator.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Okay, I think there's enough off topicness. If you wanna debate who is stronger, go to some existing threads.

PredAlien is here:

Spoiler

[close]

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

That's not bad, actually. Head is a bit on the long side, but it's otherwise nicely done.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

IMO, that's really nice looking. It looks better than Chet, though I have never seen Chet in action.

TITANOSAUR

TITANOSAUR

@Corporal Hicks: thanks. and I was gettin tired of that dang offtopic crap. thanks.

the Predalien looks way better then the one in AvP-R. hey Alex, was this Predalien designed after the Dave Dorman design? or did you try and salvage what you could from Chet? either way. looks amazing!

Requiem28

Requiem28

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 29, 2010, 07:33:43 AM
PredAlien is here:

Spoiler

[close]

ummmmmm. that's quite awesome.

huntin8-t0n

huntin8-t0n

This predalien design looks really good to me.
Spoiler
dreads at the end of the head seem rather funny to me though
[close]

Hell, I can't wait to watch this :D

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

IMO, its a nice touch. Looks better than in AVPR. This makes it appear that the Pred's dreds aren't really hair like ours, as the regular and dog aliens didn't get hair. Looks great!

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Sooo, this month right? Is there a date? Can't wait!!!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'm excited to. Really looking forward to seeing your finished work, Alex.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed