Alien: Blackout Details Announced

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jan 07, 2019, 02:09:41 PM

Author
Alien: Blackout Details Announced (Read 50,769 times)

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: SiL on Jan 08, 2019, 03:56:43 AM
As far as toxic fandoms go, video games take the cake.

Alien Isolation was a great game. It makes very little sense to follow it up with a non-PC, non-console entry when the players on those platforms is who the game appealed to and was well-received by. It makes plenty of sense for those players, myself included, to be pissed about this.

I would care much less if this was its own thing, but being billed as a sequel to Alien Isolation feels like a slap in the face.

SM

SM

It's telling a story via a different medium.  Though one much closer to the original medium than a comic or novel - neither of which have received this much unhinged vitriol.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: SM on Jan 08, 2019, 05:30:43 AM
It's telling a story via a different medium.  Though one much closer to the original medium than a comic or novel - neither of which have received this much unhinged vitriol.

But it's more than just telling a story. It's technically a video game but it's in a totally different form. That's more than important to note. Radical alteration to gameplay.

The Old One

The Old One

Vitriol isn't always unwarranted, people don't want this- and they're letting everyone know.
And I wouldn't call the majority of it vitriol. Just expressions of disappointment.

"Not too late to get Creative Assembly on the phone guys...#AlienIsolation2" -Twitter

"Why #AlienIsolation was such a great game and deserved a follow up game on consoles. #PS4 #XboxOne #NintendoSwitch" -Twitter

"But...that's...not what we wanted." -Twitter

"We thought it would be a sequel to Isolation...we thought it would be something worth playing..."-Twitter

"Wow! You gaming companies never learn do you?
Did you already forget the extreme backlash that EA and Blizzard got when they announced C&C and Diablo mobile games?
You are doing exactly what they did at Blizzcon! Teasing a new game and announcing that it will be Mobile only." -Twitter

"Not what I expected. Hoped for a AAA experience like Isolation and I'm hugely disappointed now... :(" -Twitter

"I have loved the Alien movies and books for years. The first video game with #AmandaRipley brought me right back into the whole story.
We waited and we get a Mobile game. People don't invest that much time into mobile games. I still love Alien but I'm sorry, not a mobile game."
-Twitter

"Lame! I was hoping for a real successor to Alien: Isolation, not a mobile game." -Twitter

"Thank god another studio is working on an ACTUAL Alien game." -Twitter

The response seems pretty reasonable to me,
bearing in mind how most fandoms react to disappointing news.

SiL

SiL

A good half of those still fall in the snob category.

"We thought it would be something worth playing" ::)

Frosty Venom

Ahh a mobile game. I called it unfortunately.

I'll give this a go, it looks decent enough for an Alien Isolation skinned Five Nights at Freddie's. It is very fair that people hoping for a console game to be announced are disappointed by this. Though Fox has clarified that Alien: Blackout is not an official sequel to Isolation but instead just happens to share the main character, Amanda Ripley, so maybe there's still a chance for a console game Alien Isolation sequel.

This makes me wonder if this mobile game will be canon and if it will fit into the comic/book and the 'watch' aspect of these announcements.

Eldritch_DM

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Jan 08, 2019, 05:52:49 AM
Ahh a mobile game. I called it unfortunately.

Though Fox has clarified that Alien: Blackout is not an official sequel to Isolation but instead just happens to share the main character, Amanda Ripley, so maybe there's still a chance for a console game Alien Isolation sequel.

I keep seeing this on different sites too. I wonder if it's Fox doing damage control as Hicks was pointing out earlier.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: SiL on Jan 08, 2019, 05:50:24 AM
A good half of those still fall in the snob category.

"We thought it would be something worth playing" ::)

How would you describe the correct way for fans to react?

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

The official trailer on YouTube is currently running 282 likes to 7.9k dislikes. That's higher than 96% disapproval. To say that's entirely due to fan toxicity is disingenuous. It's the mainstream sentiment across almost all reporting from gaming news outlets, from both the journalists and users. Naturally people want a proper sequel to Isolation given its cult status and rightfully or not, the recent hinting set everyone up for disappointment.

Never say no to Panda!

Never say no to Panda!

Though i don't play mobile games, I'm fine with it - why should they only work on prequels on PC/consoles? In the end it's about the money in most cases. There are huge companies behind all that content, if they think they make more money with mobile they'll focus on mobile. We will see, how much impact a bad reception has,"shitstorms" are a common thing these days.

Saggit

Saggit

First there was ALiens Colonial Marines. Than Prometheus. After that Covenant. And now this?!?!?! The hell is going on?!??!?

Time to get back to Alien Isolation - the best thing in the franchise since Alien 3.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Its not disingenuous. No one has even played the game and we've got her character returning in several future capacities which no one has seen as well. If that's not over-reacting, what is?

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: CainsSon on Jan 08, 2019, 08:35:45 AM
Its not disingenuous. No one has even played the game and we've got her character returning in several future capacities which no one has seen as well. If that's not over-reacting, what is?

Quote from: RidgeTop on Jan 08, 2019, 06:59:09 AM
rightfully or not

Not saying the outrage is justified, just that it's entirely understandable and they should've seen it coming after the reception to mobile titles like Diablo Immortal and Command & Conquer: Rivals. This likely would've gone over better had it been totally its own thing rather than so visually and audibly similar to Isolation, or if they had unveiled whatever Cold Iron is working on first. This could end up being good, but it's clearly not what people wanted.

Even though this is a small scale game, having a PC/Console release of it would've helped, as we've seen with smaller titles like Aliens Vs. Pinball and the Five Nights at Freddy's games that are on both main platforms and mobile.

Also, occasionally outrage such as this actually leads to positive change. Just look at the Battlefront II fiasco.

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed.

EA singlehandedly killed Microtransactions in triple AAA gaming,
in certain regions- it was wholeheartedly outlawed.

SM

SM

Quote from: RidgeTop on Jan 08, 2019, 06:59:09 AM
The official trailer on YouTube is currently running 282 likes to 7.9k dislikes. That's higher than 96% disapproval. To say that's entirely due to fan toxicity is disingenuous. It's the mainstream sentiment across almost all reporting from gaming news outlets, from both the journalists and users. Naturally people want a proper sequel to Isolation given its cult status and rightfully or not, the recent hinting set everyone up for disappointment.

Ah.  Youtube.  That learned centre of nuanced critique.

Gimme a break.

This is all about a large amount of people doing their kid on Christmas morning who didn't get what he wanted tanty, with an extraordinary sense of entitlement and a complete self awareness bypass.

The sheer amount of digital diarrhea today would be despairing if it weren't so hilarious.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed