NECA's The Predator Figures

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 01, 2017, 01:20:37 PM

Author
NECA's The Predator Figures (Read 92,440 times)

Sabres21768

Sabres21768

Quote from: SiL on Sep 18, 2018, 08:50:56 PM
And still the argument only works if you start by assuming The Old One is right and working backwards. Horns aren't bone and done have sockets.

Pretty sure they talk about the dreads being sensory organs in the film when they see the dogs. That, or it's someone talking very loudly in the theatre.
No, you're right. One of the Loonies asked Munn's character why the dog had dreads. She stated they might be sensory organs.

The Old One

The Old One

You missed the part when I said horns are filaments then, which have sockets or placements for them in the skull.
Much like the Predator's "dreadlocks" which would then suggest they're somewhere between horns and hair, a composite.

I'm posting in merchandise, and no the EU doesn't matter.

That's just a hypothesis to justify a bad design decision then, not a confirmation.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

As mentioned, the latest movie literally puts it in dialogue that there's more to the dreadlocks than them just being hair or something. :P

The Old One

The Old One

A character hypothesizes, nothing more &
That film was just full of good lore decisions wasn't it? lol

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: The Old One on Sep 18, 2018, 09:54:01 PM
A character hypothesizes, nothing more &
That film was just full of good lore decisions wasn't it? lol

Having the dreadlocks not be hair (as has been the case in the EU for decades) isn't a bad idea, and answers a lot of questions. :P

The movie may have had some goofy lore stuff, but it's easy to handwave it as not being representative of the entire Predator species - as has been the case any time something new/goofy has come up in the movies or EU.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: The Old One on Sep 18, 2018, 08:54:55 PM
You missed the part when I said horns are filaments then, which have sockets or placements for them in the skull.

They either have raised areas or nothing immediately obvious, not sockets. Look at rhino and deer skulls that aren't dressed for display.

Again, we must assume you're right to accept your answers, not the other way around.

The Old One

The Old One

I have, I don't think the comparison is a stretch. For an crustacean esque alien.
Especially again, when despite the mandibles being shown in a recognizable shape-
they wouldn't be able to actually articulate as shown in Predators.

It's just my opinion of course due to the fact it's a fictional creature.
But you should assume that I'm right on this one. ;)

PredBabe

PredBabe

Meh I've always interpreted the dreads to be something along the lines of hair... very alien hair but hair. From what we see they serve no purpose in yet have so many similar properties to that of human hair. Growing along similar parts of their bodies, varying in length and graying with age (of course skin also lightens with age too). Stan did refer to the dreads as hair. Now the new movie is implying other things. Casey didn't exactly get to study the locks so her guess, frankly, is as good as any of ours. They don't exactly fit the mold for any sensory organs of any creature on earth, to my knowledge anyway. If it does have a purpose, perhaps it's some type of meaty tendril that helps regulate body temperature.  ???

Regardless, I don't see the issue with other creatures, that come from their planet, also developing them.

On a side note, I found the NECA Fugitive figure in Target and had to get him.  ;D

The Old One

The Old One

I agree, and to be clear I don't have an issue with other creatures from the same environment having them- that's just par for the course it's just the localisation around the head that doesn't make sense from what I know, considering the hound's body type.

I'm tempted to pick him up too.

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

I always have compared it to a lion's mane. Thick cushioning for one of the weakest parts of a body: the neck.

That sensory stuff was EU for ages according to some, but that would make them extremely sensitive to pressure and pain. Not a nice weakness to have out for display. Never bought the "hair is getting braided" bullshit we had on fanpages and in some novels I guess (never read any).

That it is hypothesized on film does not make it true per say.

PredBabe

PredBabe

Quote from: The Old One on Sep 19, 2018, 09:06:18 AM
I agree, and to be clear I don't have an issue with other creatures from the same environment having them- that's just par for the course it's just the localisation around the head that doesn't make sense from what I know, considering the hound's body type.

I'm tempted to pick him up too.

Yeah perhaps.

Maybe they're like the "poodles" of the Pred-Dog breeds?  Hair like their owners. :laugh:

Quote from: skull-splitter on Sep 19, 2018, 09:19:20 AM
I always have compared it to a lion's mane. Thick cushioning for one of the weakest parts of a body: the neck.

That sensory stuff was EU for ages according to some, but that would make them extremely sensitive to pressure and pain. Not a nice weakness to have out for display. Never bought the "hair is getting braided" bullshit we had on fanpages and in some novels I guess (never read any).

That it is hypothesized on film does not make it true per say.

See and that's where I don't buy that they are sensory organs. They would brobably be too sensitive to squeeze decorative beading around them.

The lion's mane is an interesting thought, I highly doubt it would (severely) injure a predator if you were to cut/shoot their dreads so it could be protection to some extent, seeing as the front of their neck is still exposed.

They just look like dead strands as they hang limply.

Sabres21768

Sabres21768

Well, to be fair, the only reason that line was in the movie is because overly zealous fans would be crying about the dog having dreads anyway.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

They're awful on the PredAliens and they're an awful idea for the dogs or the cut hybrids. It's just a lazy design shortcut to denote Predator influence.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 19, 2018, 01:16:24 PM
They're awful on the PredAliens and they're an awful idea for the dogs or the cut hybrids. It's just a lazy design shortcut to denote Predator influence.

This.

Wysps

Wysps

Agreed. They're just so unnecessary - they don't do anything for the dogs, not even aesthetically. The hellhounds Predators at least had character. They could have totally reused them...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed