A shared universe

Started by David, Mar 24, 2024, 09:47:11 AM

Are you in favor of one cinematic universe for the Alien and Predator movies?

Yes
No
I do not know
Author
A shared universe (Read 1,178 times)

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

What I could dig is a RedvsBlue Alien Versus Predator show. XD

"It's good day to die!" -Sarge

"Something is inside me!" -Caboose

:D

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 25, 2024, 01:29:53 AMWine, soda and calimocho?
Precisely.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 24, 2024, 09:12:04 PM"Films"
I think he means the one where old man Weyland went to search for a longer life, and was killed by Ian White.

LightTriad

LightTriad

Having two or more separate universes makes things unnecessarily complicated, especially since the two franchises are now permanently intertwined in the pop culture zeitgeist. Typically when Predator or Alien is brought up in a conversation, the other is also brought up.

I personally enjoy the movies more with the notion that they are apart of a rich mythology that includes Predators, Xenomorphs and Engineers.

If the two franchises maintain a solid track record in film for the next few years then a new Alien Vs Predator film seems inevitable. And I would be disappointed if the film makers didn't take in account all the movies from all three franchises when developing the story.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

The AVP films from the 2000s are not compatible with the current Alien mythology in the slightest though.

Noah Hawley and Dan Trachtenberg are separately envisioning a near future take on Earth for each respective franchise.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: LightTriad on Mar 29, 2024, 04:09:47 AMIf the two franchises maintain a solid track record in film for the next few years then a new Alien Vs Predator film seems inevitable.

This does feel like the case to me. I know Disney/20th Century Studios is sitting on the AVP property for now (no intent to release the Annihilation anime that Fox canned after completion, no reprinting of the Dark Horse AVP comics, no new AVP material from Marvel, etc.) but I think that's mostly just to let the individual franchises breathe and (re)establish themselves under this new Disney/20th Century Studios banner before taking another shot at cramming them together again.

Quote from: LightTriad on Mar 29, 2024, 04:09:47 AMAnd I would be disappointed if the film makers didn't take in account all the movies from all three franchises when developing the story.

This, I'm less certain on. I think when a new AVP movie inevitably happens, it is going to be done so in a way without any real restrictions placed on it. I can't imagine a world where anyone coming in to make one of these (personally, I believe that Trachtenberg will at minimum be a producer/story contributor, but might even take it a step further and personally direct) will want to be tied down to what's established in the two existing AVP movies. I'm imagining it as more of a total clean slate, with a future off-Earth setting and no real acknowledgement or expansion of the specific hunting rituals that Anderson baked into his film's history.

I don't expect to see any Predator references from the Alien side of things in the near future, but only time will really tell if Badlands' presentation of the Predator franchise's future plays into what's known/expected from the future of the Alien franchise.

LightTriad

LightTriad

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 29, 2024, 12:29:09 PMThe AVP films from the 2000s are not compatible with the current Alien mythology in the slightest though.

Noah Hawley and Dan Trachtenberg are separately envisioning a near future take on Earth for each respective franchise.

The only thing that's no compatible is 'David being the creator of the Xenomorphs', which is something that's already being retconned in Noah Hawley's series.

We have no idea if the future from the Alien series and the future from Badlands are going to be compatible or not. But I will admit, if they did have contradicting futures then that would destroy any possibility of a shared universe between the three franchises.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 29, 2024, 02:16:38 PM
Quote from: LightTriad on Mar 29, 2024, 04:09:47 AMAnd I would be disappointed if the film makers didn't take in account all the movies from all three franchises when developing the story.

This, I'm less certain on. I think when a new AVP movie inevitably happens, it is going to be done so in a way without any real restrictions placed on it. I can't imagine a world where anyone coming in to make one of these (personally, I believe that Trachtenberg will at minimum be a producer/story contributor, but might even take it a step further and personally direct) will want to be tied down to what's established in the two existing AVP movies. I'm imagining it as more of a total clean slate, with a future off-Earth setting and no real acknowledgement or expansion of the specific hunting rituals that Anderson baked into his film's history.

It wouldn't have to be tied down from the two AVP films. It can simply just not go out of its way to contradict them, similar to how 'Prey' doesn't reference or contradict anything from 'The Predator'.

And no acknowledgement or expansion of the hunting rituals from Andersons film is needed, the film can simply just feature a different tribe of Predators.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Prometheus and AVP present totally incompatible origins for Weyland's company, with entirely different founders.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Though some have tried to connect them  :laugh:

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

The Weylands are like Schrödinger's cat; They are canon and not canon at the same time and the observing fan and his / her intervention can cause the system to collapse in one of the two options⚛️👾

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Tried, did not succeed.

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 30, 2024, 12:41:23 AMPrometheus and AVP present totally incompatible origins for Weyland's company, with entirely different founders.

Unless Weyland is using cloning technology...
Disney don't.. please.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 30, 2024, 01:24:30 AMTried, did not succeed.

Thankfully.

It should be seperate and remain so.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I guess, officially, it can probably be said that there are two timelines currently (but that can split back into three at any given moment, and I'm sure according to some sources it is three, given the split Alien/Predator/AVP licenses). I'd love for the currently existing AVP movies to be a separate thing entirely, just on the basis of not liking them, but as it stands, The Predator does make explicit mention of them which makes it fair game for them to exist in the Predator canon (for now), while Prometheus and Alien: Covenant explicitly knocked them out of the Alien continuity.

Timeline A:
Prometheus
Alien: Covenant
Alien
Alien: Romulus
Aliens
Alien 3
Alien: Resurrection

Plus Hawley's series, which should be somewhere around Prometheus' placement on the list, but we don't have a hard date for that yet.

Timeline B:
Prey
Prey 2
Predator
Predator 2
Alien vs Predator
Aliens vs Predator: Requiem
Predators
The Predator
Badlands

But now, what happens if Badlands' presentation of the future does line up with what we know in Timeline A/the Alien continuity, or when we do eventually get a new AVP film that presumably tries to bring the timelines back together? :laugh:

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 30, 2024, 02:01:30 PMI guess, officially, it can probably be said that there are two timelines currently (but that can split back into three at any given moment, and I'm sure according to some sources it is three, given the split Alien/Predator/AVP licenses). I'd love for the currently existing AVP movies to be a separate thing entirely, just on the basis of not liking them, but as it stands, The Predator does make explicit mention of them which makes it fair game for them to exist in the Predator canon (for now), while Prometheus and Alien: Covenant explicitly knocked them out of the Alien continuity.

Timeline A:
Prometheus
Alien: Covenant
Alien
Alien: Romulus
Aliens
Alien 3
Alien: Resurrection

Plus Hawley's series, which should be somewhere around Prometheus' placement on the list, but we don't have a hard date for that yet.

Timeline B:
Prey
Prey 2
Predator
Predator 2
Alien vs Predator
Aliens vs Predator: Requiem
Predators
The Predator
Badlands

But now, what happens if Badlands' presentation of the future does line up with what we know in Timeline A/the Alien continuity, or when we do eventually get a new AVP film that presumably tries to bring the timelines back together? :laugh:

JJ Abrams appears, "alternate reality."
Me: No

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed