Aliens: carbon based or silicon based?

Started by Xenomrph, Jan 20, 2024, 05:32:13 PM

Author
Aliens: carbon based or silicon based? (Read 751 times)

Xenomrph

I swear I remember reading that (at least, adult) Aliens are silicon based, but I can't remember where. Can someone help me out? Is it from the expanded universe?

'Alien' has Ash talking about the facehugger shedding its cells and replacing them with polarized silicon, but that doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot. He also says it has an outer layer of protein polysaccharides, which are carbohydrates (carbon based).

I might check the Weyland-Yutani Report later because I have a hunch that might say something, but I swear that Aliens being silicon based is a long-standing thing from the EU for some reason.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 20, 2024, 05:32:13 PMI swear I remember reading that (at least, adult) Aliens are silicon based, but I can't remember where. Can someone help me out? Is it from the expanded universe?

'Alien' has Ash talking about the facehugger shedding its cells and replacing them with polarized silicon, but that doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot. He also says it has an outer layer of protein polysaccharides, which are carbohydrates (carbon based).

I might check the Weyland-Yutani Report later because I have a hunch that might say something, but I swear that Aliens being silicon based is a long-standing thing from the EU for some reason.

Quote from: SM on Mar 23, 2021, 09:13:07 PMAliens aren't silicon based.

The Cruentus

I wonder what category they would fit under though since there has been so many stories adding to it all.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 20, 2024, 06:14:25 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 20, 2024, 05:32:13 PMI swear I remember reading that (at least, adult) Aliens are silicon based, but I can't remember where. Can someone help me out? Is it from the expanded universe?

But they should be! for Giger <3 ;)🙏

Local Trouble

SM has spoken.  I don't make the rules.

The Cruentus

Was he told that information?

Xenomrph

Yeah I found a thread from 2011 where SM (and I!) said the same thing lol.

But I also found some reddit posts saying they're silicon based, so I'm wondering where that originated. Like I said, I swear the EU said they're silicon based at one point.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 20, 2024, 07:30:31 PM

Yeah I found a thread from 2011 where SM (and I!) said the same thing lol.

But I also found some reddit posts saying they're silicon based, so I'm wondering where that originated. Like I said, I swear the EU said they're silicon based at one point.

Given the EU's historically ralfy-like grasp of the source material, I'm not sure it matters.

Xenomrph

Well to be fair, aside from the facehugger the source material doesn't say a whole lot so it's kind of a blank slate.

[cancerblack]

QuoteAliens: carbon based or silicon based?

Uh... The second one. Zillophone.

Acid_Reign161

The two working theories by Weyland-Yutani is that the Xenomorph is a fluorine-based life form (with the creatures physiology based around fluorocarbons and hydrofluorocarbons), however, they acknowledge that if Ash's analysis of the creature was correct, evidence points to a hydrocarbon based life form (the uncertainty with the hypothesis seems to revolve around the enzyme kinetics required for theoretical fluorine-based enzymes to convert a hydrocarbon based mass into usable energy).

Source; The Colonial Marines Technical Manual

SM

SM

Local Trouble

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed