Currently Playing

Started by Ratchetcomand, Nov 15, 2007, 01:14:30 AM

Author
Currently Playing (Read 961,542 times)

Stitch

Stitch

Weirdly, and slightly unexpectedly, I've been replaying Gotham Knights. It got an update and no longer runs completely like shit, meaning it's still not great, but a bit more playable.

I found myself replaying the story through with Nightwing on the steam deck.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 12, 2023, 08:45:51 PMFinal DooM/The Plutonia Experiment, map 11 "Hunted"

This f**king level is why I sometimes go by △ r c h ▽ i l e or use it as custom text. It's a literal maze, filled with only Archviles - for those who don't know, the toughest non-boss enemy in Doom 2 and Final Doom, which in addition to a powerful ranged attack, can resurrect fallen enemies, including other Archviles. There's no health until the end, and the end has two exits, one of which is a trap.

Good timing and the super shotgun finally got me through it though.

This might interest you. Warhammer 40k in classic 90's Doom style:

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Pulled out some old standalone Half-Life 2 mods. Nightmare House 2 is still a fun little horror game. And went through Dear Esther: Landmark Edition with the director's commentary tracks on.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 20, 2023, 05:16:18 PM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 12, 2023, 08:45:51 PMFinal DooM/The Plutonia Experiment, map 11 "Hunted"

This f**king level is why I sometimes go by △ r c h ▽ i l e or use it as custom text. It's a literal maze, filled with only Archviles - for those who don't know, the toughest non-boss enemy in Doom 2 and Final Doom, which in addition to a powerful ranged attack, can resurrect fallen enemies, including other Archviles. There's no health until the end, and the end has two exits, one of which is a trap.

Good timing and the super shotgun finally got me through it though.

This might interest you. Warhammer 40k in classic 90's Doom style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paRKV91xqso

I've been following it, but a boomer shooter that requires a modern PC kind of defeats the purpose, no?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 20, 2023, 07:59:04 PMI've been following it, but a boomer shooter that requires a modern PC kind of defeats the purpose, no?

The graphics make it look like a ten year old PC could easily run it.

But programmers these days don't bother to optimize their code anymore, so yeah, it would probably require a beast of a machine to run and then still run like a slide show until patch # 7.986 is released.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Teenagent

As with all old school point and clicks, it's fun, even when it's complete bullshit.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Planescape: Torment

Wweyland

Wweyland

Thief (also known as Thief 4). Why the hell did they replace the voice actor.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Playing Warhammer 40k: Boltgun on Xbox Series X, it rules.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

AvP Classic.

I wish I could say I was having fun, but almost everything about it is frustrating me, as has previously been the case.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 26, 2023, 05:17:18 AMAvP Classic.

I wish I could say I was having fun, but almost everything about it is frustrating me, as has previously been the case.
I love AvP Classic, I've logged stupid hours in it and it's still one of my favorite AvP games. The Marine campaign is tense as hell even on replays, thanks to the randomized AI. I played some deathmatch/species deathmatch with a bunch of people recently and it's still frenetic as hell.

I did a Let's Play of it many moons ago that someday I'd like to remake (the original raw video files are lost to the mists of time).

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

I think the fact that I was never able to play it when it was current is the major contributor to my inability to have a good time with it. I didn't have a PC til 2001, and second hand game stores weren't a thing here until several years later so it just wasn't available.

What I will say is that to a player who doesn't know it inside out, the trial-and-error campaign play is just a "feelsbad" kinda thing - especially combined with the lack of quicksaves. "Die again and again til you memorize the map" simply isn't enjoyable in this day and age. Neither is "wander aimlessly until you slowly figure out which parts of the map are destructable and required to continue".

And I won't even touch the Marine campaign because infinitely spawning enemies are just something I can't abide. Knowing I've cleared an area and can safely poke around is one of the most enjoyable aspects of a shooter game for me, especially in a game with such convoluted map layout.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Generally speaking there aren't infinitely spawning enemies except for a couple occasions, most of the time the map spawns a set (but random) number of Aliens in different locations and lets them loose to find the player on their own.

Also I've hit a roadblock in Boltgun, the game locks up in a specific hallways on what I think is the last level of the game, I guess I don't get to finish it until they patch it. :(

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Fallout 3. Never played it before.

Why are ants the size of cats harder to kill and deadlier than Mad Max raiders with guns?

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 29, 2023, 06:41:36 PMGenerally speaking there aren't infinitely spawning enemies except for a couple occasions, most of the time the map spawns a set (but random) number of Aliens in different locations and lets them loose to find the player on their own.

Either way, I prefer scripted enemies that I can get the measure of, in that type of game. And that plus the horrible texture and colour choices (although admittedly impressively large and complex layouts) in the levels have me returning AvP classic to the digital shelf with minimal playthrough. At some point I may give debug mode a try because I'm genuinely curious to have a good explore, but the game as-is is just... basically unplayable without nostalgia goggles.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

It's a different style of game than many FPS games (especially modern ones), but I enjoy the challenge and the Marine campaign can be scary as hell. The multiplayer is a hoot, too.

I fixed Boltgun by loading an earlier save and beat the game last night. The final fight was bonkers but all in all I had a great time with the game.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed