Napoleon - Ridley Scott's film with Joaquin Phoenix

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Oct 14, 2020, 08:31:32 PM

Author
Napoleon - Ridley Scott's film with Joaquin Phoenix (Read 87,568 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ingwar on Nov 22, 2023, 01:49:13 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXgRe9EL1BU

I like how one guy asks Riddles how he did Napoleon's battle scenes and get's a long lecture on advertising during the 70's instead.  :laugh:

He also talks a bit about Nick Cave's bonkers Gladiator II script later in.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 22, 2023, 02:34:54 PMI, admittedly, have not actually seen either cut of Kingdom of Heaven yet...

Nightmare Asylum

I know... :(

I did recently remedy my Thelma & Louise-sized blind spot and adored it, to the point where it might actually enter into my top 5 Ridley movies?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Kingdom of Heaven DC is like top 3 or 4 spot. I think Ingwar once said it was his favourite Ridley Scott film.

Nightmare Asylum

Alien is always going to be top for me, and Blade Runner just under it. Vying for those other three spots would be Thelma & Louise, The Last Duel and, depending on my mood, either Gladiator or Alien: Covenant (yes, I genuinely love Covenant that much).

Been in the mood for a Legend rewatch lately...

Ingwar

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 22, 2023, 03:08:22 PMKingdom of Heaven DC is like top 3 or 4 spot. I think Ingwar once said it was his favourite Ridley Scott film.

Blade Runner is at the top. Kingdom of Heaven is in my top 5 with Alien, American Gangster and The Martian. I love Thelma & Louise and Gladiator though.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Smithsonian MagazineHeld in the throne room at the Tuileries Palace in Paris, the ceremony had all the elements of a Greek tragedy. Joséphine wore a plain white gown evocative of a wedding dress. The couple exchanged words of gratitude and enduring love, with Napoleon declaring, "I would like her ... never to doubt my feelings for her; she will always be my best and my dearest friend."

Joséphine, in return, offered this: "I must declare that no longer holding out any hope for a child that could satisfy both his political needs and the good of France, I give to him the greatest proof of attachment and devotion that has ever been given on this earth." But the emotional toll of the ceremony, and perhaps the public candor of her speech, was too great. She faltered, sobbing, and asked if someone else could finish reading her statement. The marriage was officially annulled in January 1810.

Napoleon, the newest film from acclaimed director Ridley Scott, depicts the emperor and empress, played by Joaquin Phoenix and Vanessa Kirby, respectively, reading these lines of parting verbatim. In a theatrical revision from the original sequence of events, the scene is restaged in an austere church and features Napoleon violently slapping his former wife. The moment is portrayed as a kind of metaphorical break in their relationship, with the emperor striking Joséphine for so shamefully mourning their relationship and showing weakness; the blow adds a brutish, cinematic finality to their separation.

https://twitter.com/SmithsonianMag/status/1727047227653112265

T Dog

QuoteI like how one guy asks Riddles how he did Napoleon's battle scenes and get's a long lecture on advertising during the 70's instead.  :laugh:

Did you ever listen to the Ridley interview on WTF with Marc Maron.
Maron asks him revisiting Blade Runner and doing different cuts and then Ridley goes: "Aaaaaaaah well there used to be a show called THE DATING GAME....." and then launches into the plot of BR2049 and that Tyrell was like the host of The Dating Game.

KiramidHead

I did a ranking of his entire filmography around when Gucci came out, bit I lost the list.  :laugh:

I think my top five was Blade Runner, Alien, Gladiator, Duellists, and Kingdom of Heaven.

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 21, 2023, 07:17:23 AMGoodness gracious man, he's not failing. He didn't want to create a Napoleon documentary. He wanted to create his own tale, his own spin on Napoleon. Is a man not allowed to do that?
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 21, 2023, 11:31:49 AMIt's not a matter of "excuses" or dichotomy of success/failure at being historically accurate – it's a matter of artistic intent. Ridley Scott is clearly approaching the material that he is working with from a very different perspective than Nolan and Scorsese did with their films (which are both among my favorites of the year, mind you).

Anyways, seeing this tonight!

Purposely missing my point. I'm not asking for 1,000% accuracy, its that he claims he has no idea if it's accurate or not but then dismisses historians that answers his thoughts on subjects. Blurring the lines on historical and artistic license. Did Napoleon blow up the pyramids he asks? No said the historians but then he curses them out cuz he is an arrogant asshole who hadn't made good films in years when he thinks he is tough shit? That's my point. So then what in the f**k is he on about then? Walks around talking shit but then any form of criticism and somehow he acts like a victim?

The thing that comes with these types of films is the difference between Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter and Oppenheimer. One is purposely artistically done historic fiction and the second is mostly historic with a touch of fiction. He is presenting this like it was the real deal, which is really idiotic and damaging to what really is and what is not. It's like how 300 painted Spartans as heroic defenders of freedom when in reality they were slave hunting assholes that mostly lost every battle they ever been in. The film is purposely telling a mythical spin on real events but culturally made Spartans are seen in a noble light then people with very questionable actions. At least the director said he aimed for a more artistic presentation of the Spartans so I can't even get mad at him or anything as he went out of say this firstly and not purposely dismissive of anyone presenting questions or criticism of the film. It's done with intent in mind, that Ridley outright is not doing. There's a huge difference between anachronism in STYLE and anachronism in CONTENT. Marie Antoinette is a solid biopic, but also had a TON of anachronistic style in the costuming and soundtrack specifically. Those anachronisms were chosen because they added to the artistic merit of the film, but Sophia Coppola didn't do anything egregiously ahistorical, nor did she act like an indignant little baby when she was confronted about her anachronisms. Ridley Scott seems to really want to have his cake while never having to justify not eating it. I'm not a fan of courting falsehood.

Which leads with my beef with this f**k personally. He can f**k off when he acts likes he is and done better, when others had done MUCH better. Robin Hood, Gods of Egypt, the previous two Alien films were all shit and any form of criticism he gets his way, he has to act all defensive know it all about it. F**k off Ridley and don't touch Aliens anymore. Knowing is involvement in the new Alien series and film has already gotten me looking at the worst coming ahead. The arrogance of that idiot will never stop pissing me off.

Like I get he made Alien and Blade Runner but there is a point where sometimes you just gotta say no, this is dumb, what the hell, stop acting like a man child.

nanison

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 22, 2023, 02:34:54 PM
Quote from: nanison on Nov 22, 2023, 01:51:09 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 22, 2023, 08:23:49 AMI will add – my biggest quibble with the movie is that in its theatrical state, it is a bit formless. I think the extended cut is going to do a lot to help the movie's pacing and overall structure.

Like Kingdom of Heaven you mean?

I, admittedly, have not actually seen either cut of Kingdom of Heaven yet and I know that is something I need to remedy soon.

As it is here though, Napoleon often seems to be sort of flipping from one event to the next or one character beat to the next where it seems apparent that some breathing room to segue us there (especially in the back half of the film) and some more time spent with just Napoleon and Josephine must have been shot. And even though four hours sounds like a long time, I genuinely think it will actually help the pacing of the film rather than detract from it once we get to see that version.

Makes perfect sense

Local Trouble

Ingwar

God, how I cannot stand this shill. I will never forget him praising The Last Jedi.

KiramidHead

Lulu got a better dedication than Tony did.  :laugh:

nanison

Do all Ridley Scott movies have a director's cut? What about Prometheus?
the above review of Napoleon sounds valid from what I heard but I'm also quite sure a lot of the problems will be addressed in the director's cut.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed