NECA Predator Figure Series

Started by Sabres21768, Dec 04, 2010, 06:10:40 AM

Author
NECA Predator Figure Series (Read 1,215,613 times)

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

I waited for this two pack. But it's weird that I can preorder that batch just fine while not being able to order Broken Tusk / Machiko...

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Am I the only one more interested in getting the arcade Aliens than I am the Preds?
The coloring on the Preds is just...weird to me. It's not bad and I'll probably wind up with the blue one, but over all its weird

Still Collating...

Same, I'm waiting for the arcade Aliens. They are better designs, but the Preds are faithful enough to the game. I'm actually considering getting the orange City Hunter version cause I never got the original, his color scheme looks nice in my eyes (though I might just repaint him later) and I like that he's coming with the jungle hunter plasma caster and backpack which i prefer. If he also comes with an extra cool spear, I'll be sold on him.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Nov 15, 2018, 01:18:52 PM
Am I the only one more interested in getting the arcade Aliens than I am the Preds?
The coloring on the Preds is just...weird to me. It's not bad and I'll probably wind up with the blue one, but over all its weird
Seconding that. The Aliens have unique sculpts and are more visually interesting; the Predators are just, like, repainted basic Predators. I get that that's game-accurate, but it doesn't mean I suddenly want to buy them. :P

That Bad Blood set looks fantastic, I've still got it on preorder.

I don't remember the "cog" smartdisc being in the comic, but it's been forever since I read it.

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

It's accurate.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I got the Broken Tusk/Machiko/Hornhead wave in the mail yesterday, they're pretty cool.

I think I like Broken Tusk the best out of the three. I find it funny how they repurposed a lot of the parts they used for the Kenner Stalker Predator remake - unless that was the plan from the beginning? ;)
Good move on NECA for making the spear come apart in the middle - they should do that for all of their spears moving forward, because I've got a lot of bent/broken spears kicking around that likely could have been avoided if they came apart in the middle.
He has a non-standard right gauntlet but I can't place if it's unique to him or if it's a reused part from another figure.

I think I like Hornhead second-best - his armor design is really sleek and unique, it looks "futuristic" but in a different way from the P2 Lost/Borg Predator. It's not tech-y, it's more streamlined and the silver color makes it look really good.
The unmasked head also looks really good, he's unique-looking and he's painted well.
THAT SAID, for the life of me I cannot get him to wear his mask properly. It's made of a pretty soft plastic and it seems to be a bit too narrow for his face, and you'd think that it'd hook around his horns and stay securely but it just... doesn't. It only stays on his face if I really force it on there and then don't touch him, because the slightest jostle will make it fall off.
It doesn't help that my Hornhead keeps tipping backward and I'm not sure why. Visually he doesn't seem like he should be that back-heavy, but he tips over anyway. He doesn't really have useful ankle articulation because of his unique armor, which doesn't help things.

Machiko is a mixed bag for me. Like, the very notion of having a Machiko figure is cool, and on the surface her sculpting and painting is really good and she looks great, but her joints on mine are really tight and I'm really afraid that I'm going to break something because the joints are so skinny. She's got double-joined knees for some reason, but the knees only bend to 90 degrees because she's got these sculpted-on kneepad-straps that keep her knees from bending any further. Like, the second knee joint is there, you just can't use it. On mine, the shoulder cannon was pointing backwards right out of the packaging, and it's so small that I was really concerned that I would warp it or snap it off when turning it around to face forward. Likewise, she's got teeny tiny wristblades that can extend and retract, but they're so small and thin that I'm afraid I'm going to break them if I mess with them.
She has an alternate right hand for cradling the rifle, and I'm concerned that swapping the hands is going to break something since they're so small. Likewise, I'm going to have to pry open the fingers on her left hand in order to hold the rifle, and that feels dicey as well. On that note, I didn't realize that she was left-handed in the comic but the packaging artwork on the back shows that yep, she's a lefty.
My biggest complaint is that she just... can't wear her mask. If you fit it under her hair and flush against her chin, it makes it look like she's perpetually looking down and you can tell it's not lining up with her eyes, and precariously fitting it on the "front" of her face just kinda looks goofy. NECA really should have done a masked/unmasked head for this one.

Although I'm not sure what extra stuff they could toss in such a pack, I wouldn't be surprised if we got an "ultimate" two-pack set for Machiko/Broken Tusk that had masked/unmasked heads and the like.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

One of the reasons I actually skipped on Machiko because I didn't like how small and fragile everything looked.

Horn Head is actually my favorite from the line, but I didn't like the silver/blue to his armor and repainted it to look more used like Jungle Hunter. I initially had a problem getting his helmet on but after "bending" the horn tips outward and slipping the mask down as far as it would go it sits just fine. No damage to the horns either

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I really like the silver/blue, it's a refreshing change from Jungle Hunter's armor. Nothing against Jungle Hunter, I just like when my Predators have a varied color palette in terms of both armor and skin color.

I'll have to mess with the horns and see if I can mimic what you did, because the mask not staying on is really frustrating for me. I've got the same problem with the Kenner Stalker Predator remake; he just flat-out will not wear his mask, it simply falls right off his face.

Still Collating...

For Machiko and Horn Head's face, you are either gonna have to soak the joints/horn in warm water or use a hair dryer to soften the plastic which is what I do.

bobcunk

bobcunk

Quote from: Still Collating... on Nov 22, 2018, 07:05:43 PM
For Machiko and Horn Head's face, you are either gonna have to soak the joints/horn in warm water or use a hair dryer to soften the plastic which is what I do.
that's somthing neca realy needs to work on.

Still Collating...

They sure do, posability is a must with figures like these IMO. Joint's shouldn't be too tight or too loose.

SiL

SiL

I'd imagine it's easier for buyers to loosen joints than tighten them, though, so it would make sense to err on the side of too tight for mass production. I'd rather they arrive stiff and need loosening, than come loose.

The Old One

The Old One

Agreed.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Nov 24, 2018, 10:25:16 AM
I'd imagine it's easier for buyers to loosen joints than tighten them, though, so it would make sense to err on the side of too tight for mass production. I'd rather they arrive stiff and need loosening, than come loose.
It's the opposite - if you have loose joints, you can tighten them with a little bit of floor polish. If you have tight joints, you have to disassemble the figure (pain in the ass if even possible at all, and you risk terminally breaking the figure) and file down the offending parts of the joint until they're less tight.

Edit-- this guy fixes a tight joint with some dish soap, but I'd be terrified to "test" the joint that first time after applying the soap.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed