NECA Predator Figure Series

Started by Sabres21768, Dec 04, 2010, 06:10:40 AM

Author
NECA Predator Figure Series (Read 1,215,571 times)

Mike’s Monsters

Remember when Movie Maniacs were ALIEN and PREDATOR? Well now you get Kevin Hart and Jack Black from Jumangi!

I do not want McFarlane touching Alien and Predator again unless they do serious course correction on direction and quality.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Aug 18, 2023, 04:55:28 PMI do not want McFarlane touching Alien and Predator again unless they do serious course correction on direction and quality.

This. Although there's always a few who'll jump in to defend them.

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 18, 2023, 07:24:15 PM
Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Aug 18, 2023, 04:55:28 PMI do not want McFarlane touching Alien and Predator again unless they do serious course correction on direction and quality.

Agreed, McFarlane paint or lack there of is horrendous and I constantly see posts about ball sockets being stressed or cracked right out of the packaging. I don't want McFarlane within 50 miles of Alien or Predator lol.

Gridseeker

Gridseeker

I have some McFarlane Alien/Predator figures and for its time they were quite good. However, one big issue I have is the material which the articulations are made, a plastic pretty easy to fall apart and I say this because when I took of my Hick figure from the packaging, the right arm fell off imnediately. In fact, the last month I got the Celtic-Scar and Elder Predator figures from the first AVP movie, SEALED but I´m so afraid to take off from the packages for the aforementioned reason.

Wweyland

Wweyland

McFarlane was great in the 90ties

Still Collating...

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Aug 18, 2023, 04:55:28 PMRemember when Movie Maniacs were ALIEN and PREDATOR? Well now you get Kevin Hart and Jack Black from Jumangi!

I do not want McFarlane touching Alien and Predator again unless they do serious course correction on direction and quality.

https://i.imgur.com/vv8YBOE.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Jnf8yKc.jpg

I agree that if they do anything with Alien or Predator, they better give their best shot. But your example feels like cherry picking. That's a stupid low quality statue line. Just like Neca had their Toony Terrors and other non main stuff.

Yes, Mcfarlane made bad statues for Alien and predator back in the day. They still have mixed quality sometimes. Their paintjobs are mediocre most of the time and great only in rare cases. But it kinda seems like many people here hadn't seen a new McFarlane figure in person in quite some time. Their sculpts can be fantastic and their articulation now is great. Not to mention that they're a lot cheaper than Neca now.

I don't want a strawman argument and for balance sake, just look at their "newer" releases. Of these for now I own Bloodshot, The Penguin and Takemura and they all look fantastic! They can make great human figures but even better monster figures. Just skim through the examples I put.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

They did not have to go so hard with the Netflix Witcher Kikimora but they did.

But they also have stuff like their recent Dark Knight Batman with one arm bigger than the other, basic shit, they still occasionally miss.

That Season 2 Geralt looks good, so does the Witcher videogame one they did, but Season 3 and 1 do not resemble Henry Cavill to put it lightly.

They have no consistency.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

To be blunt, I wouldn't buy any Aliens from them for the same reason I didn't buy any 40k stuff from them: I don't want to have to completely repaint every figure to get it to a level I find acceptable. Keep in mind that I also find most NECA Alien paintjobs unacceptable, and there's not actually much of a price difference between the two brands in my country.

Mike’s Monsters

Consistency is key, and collectors and constantly vocal about their issues with McFarlane pieces online. Also, speaking from working at a big toy company, internally, McFarlane as a brand is looked down upon from other brands. We all know each other, but a lot us agree that McFarlane has a lot of room for improvement and consistency is the biggest issue.

Other brands do have issues too, but like I said, McFarlane usually is towards the top of the list of toy companies that need to improve. I picked those Jumanji Movie Maniacs as an easy target, yes. But I also picked them because Movie Maniacs was Alien and Predator at one point. So in my eyes, it's an easy comparison to show where their focus is these days. They're being fed brands to work with, and they're taking everything they can get. They're lucky they have DC, or else I think they'd have much bigger issues these days.

Still Collating...

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 22, 2023, 04:59:30 PMThey did not have to go so hard with the Netflix Witcher Kikimora but they did.

But they also have stuff like their recent Dark Knight Batman with one arm bigger than the other, basic shit, they still occasionally miss.

That Season 2 Geralt looks good, so does the Witcher videogame one they did, but Season 3 and 1 do not resemble Henry Cavill to put it lightly.

They have no consistency.

I will agree that they are hit or miss with no predictability on what they'll do with each figure in a line. It really can be from horrible to mediocre to a great figure and you roll the dice with them with each new announcement. It does seem like they're going with quantity over quality at the moment. But some other brands also have lackluster paint and are even more breakable for double the price. And knowing how much has McFarlane's articulation and sculpting improved over the years, I see it's possible for them to get better. Though not certain of course. 

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Aug 22, 2023, 09:33:26 PMConsistency is key, and collectors and constantly vocal about their issues with McFarlane pieces online. Also, speaking from working at a big toy company, internally, McFarlane as a brand is looked down upon from other brands. We all know each other, but a lot us agree that McFarlane has a lot of room for improvement and consistency is the biggest issue.

Other brands do have issues too, but like I said, McFarlane usually is towards the top of the list of toy companies that need to improve. I picked those Jumanji Movie Maniacs as an easy target, yes. But I also picked them because Movie Maniacs was Alien and Predator at one point. So in my eyes, it's an easy comparison to show where their focus is these days. They're being fed brands to work with, and they're taking everything they can get. They're lucky they have DC, or else I think they'd have much bigger issues these days.

I'll agree that consistency is needed for the collectors and though McFarlane has got the bigger problems there, it's not like Neca or Hasbro don't have stuff of varying quality. Didn't know they were looked so down upon by others. I'm very pleased with the figures I have. Some brands have better quality, but the prices get to insane levels fast. Maybe that's why McFarlane is successful at the moment? Some the recent non-Neca Alien figures from the past few years have a wide range of quality and most are noticeably more expensive than Neca's Aliens used to be. Neca used to have the best price to quality ratio for me until recently. Now it's McFarlane IMO. Hasbro has potential in that category (though I heard they have quality issues as well and their paint is also very inconsistent, though they may have the best face printing tech now). The company that does the new 7 inch Halo figures is also in that good ratio.

As far as I know all the other companies either do statues or full on action figures much less frequently (so less chance of niche characters from the franchises) and they're so much more expensive.

Again, maybe that works for someone, but not for me and that's my wishes are specific in the other direction.   

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Honestly, I don't think either NECA or McFarlane are worth the asking price if you live outside the USA.

Gridseeker

Gridseeker

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 22, 2023, 11:29:47 PMHonestly, I don't think either NECA or McFarlane are worth the asking price if you live outside the USA.
Oh boy, here in my country if you find a NECA figure, new, sealed in its box for about 50 bucks, it´s already a deal.

Still Collating...

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 22, 2023, 11:29:47 PMHonestly, I don't think either NECA or McFarlane are worth the asking price if you live outside the USA.

Most of the time, unfortunately yes. That's why I go deal hunting. I find interesting deals on Ebay from time to time. But I agree that anything outside the US market is ignored as far as good prices go.

Quote from: Gridseeker on Aug 23, 2023, 02:53:28 PM
Oh boy, here in my country if you find a NECA figure, new, sealed in its box for about 50 bucks, it´s already a deal.

Same, though I find at stores McFarlane figures for 25$ sometimes. Even that's not guaranteed anymore. Ultimate Neca figures (not two packs) go for 70$ now at stores. In a country with wages 1/10 of the US. That's insane...

Thank the heavens for online shopping that lets me find all sorts of figures for my price range. Without that I wouldn't be able to enjoy a very dear hobby of mine.

Be it McFarlane or somebody else, I have mixed feelings if Neca really is loosing the license. I hope the license for 6 to 7 inch Alien and Predator figures is picked up by someone who will not go crazy with prices, have decent sculpts and makes the figures frequently. I hope the future is bright in this respect.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

For where I am, you basically take whatever the US price is and add $50. Due to it also being a smallish island chain at the bottom of the eastern and southern hemispheres, even if you go deal hunting, any saving is often eaten up entirely by shipping and/or currency conversion.

bobcunk

bobcunk

Quote from: (Bad Blood) on Aug 18, 2023, 08:32:09 PM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 18, 2023, 07:24:15 PM

Agreed, McFarlane paint or lack there of is horrendous and I constantly see posts about ball sockets being stressed or cracked right out of the packaging. I don't want McFarlane within 50 miles of Alien or Predator lol.
usualy the sculpts are goid but it hard tk tell with the kacknofvoaint shading but this is done to keep the price down. He has been releaseing new sc figires evey couple months consistantly for the last 3 yrars and most are completey new skulpts and all for under $30 neca kmly has a handful of alien/predator figures each year at over double the price. I have never had a cracked joint with mcfarlanes batmans but his old avp stuff used transparent plastic for the joints and they always eventually crumbke like a cracker. I had every alien and predator from him and only a fewvl have not broke. My favourite was the dog Alien and he survived untill last year when its leg broke. Mcfarlane pretty much invented the whole adult action figire market by selling them at record stors and not just walmart and toysrus but I've always thought they finished product always has a homemade feel, like they just painted and sold the prototype.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed