Predator south China sea

Started by predator elite, Apr 25, 2023, 11:55:20 PM

Author
Predator south China sea (Read 8,660 times)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Wweyland on Nov 02, 2023, 09:30:11 PMI read this about 4 years ago and still think about it, a lot.
Amazing book bulging with energy.
Somehow, I missed that Dutch reference though.
Wait, which Dutch reference?

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: Xenomrph on Nov 02, 2023, 10:13:26 PM
Quote from: Wweyland on Nov 02, 2023, 09:30:11 PMI read this about 4 years ago and still think about it, a lot.
Amazing book bulging with energy.
Somehow, I missed that Dutch reference though.
Wait, which Dutch reference?
From Xenopedia:
Although never identified in the story, author Jeff VanderMeer has confirmed (or at least strongly implied) that Onyx is Dutch from Predator

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

I found it pretty obvious tbh.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 02, 2023, 11:17:25 PMI found it pretty obvious tbh.
I haven't read the book since it was new, so I didn't remember it at all.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Xenomrph on Nov 03, 2023, 02:24:18 AM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 02, 2023, 11:17:25 PMI found it pretty obvious tbh.
I haven't read the book since it was new, so I didn't remember it at all.

It's not subtle at all, but it's fair enough to have forgotten it in the face of all the other strong imagery.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Does the Onyx background fit with the newer "Old Dutch" lore from Predator: Hunting Grounds?

jacobo1122

jacobo1122

Okay, I finally read it, thanks to upload from @Retropocalypse, so thank You for that. I had to force myself a little to read it in digital form, because I can't stand not having physical book in my hands, but it was only way for me to read this, so be it. I enjoyed it a lot, though I wouldn't rate it 10/10. It got its problems. More weird Elements didn't click for me, all those descriptions of past Predator's hunts, they were just too outlandish and fantasy-like for a Predator lore in my opinion. Also what's the point of bacteria Turning Nikolai into living dust? I dig  the idea of Predator bringing some extraterrestial disease from space, but again, it became just to weird for a Predator story for my taste, and it wasn't even necessary or important for the plot or anything. Maybe that's the reason why whole Temple battle, though interesting, was dragging on a little. Also Maxime overstayed his welcome, he was just doing nothing in the last Third of the book. But those problems aside, rest of the novel is great. I love the idea of placing the action on illeagl hunting resort on island. It was perfect setting for Predator's hunt. I love how so many characters with distinct personalities and goals were put in it and how their arcs are converged with each other towards the end. And finally I love the Predator in this. He's Seasoned hunter with a lot of advanced gear and Experience. Also he is a total bastard with his mind games and pshyhological warfare. Overall great read, I'm glad i read it, especially that there is too little Predator novels on the market right now. Titan should Fix it, especially when they seem to lost some steam with Aliens books.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

The author definitely brings his own gimmicks to the story (things like the transformation you mention), and you're right it's a bit out of place in a predator tale. I was alright with it because I like similar shit from the author and it's at least an interesting additional take about alien infections.

I'm not sure what you mean by "fix it", the book probably couldn't and definitely shouldn't get edited or rewritten, but I'd love for it to get another print run and get better known.

happypred

happypred

If you're a fireteam, you wouldnt want to bump into this particular Predator

Requiem tried to portray how an elite Predator would operate but stumbled in the execution, so the aliens often came across as weak/incompetent

The South China Sea Predator has the tactical wits and skillset of a veteran hunter/killing-machine...one of the most formidable portrayals out there

jacobo1122

jacobo1122

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 20, 2023, 11:48:54 AMThe author definitely brings his own gimmicks to the story (things like the transformation you mention), and you're right it's a bit out of place in a predator tale. I was alright with it because I like similar shit from the author and it's at least an interesting additional take about alien infections.

I'm not sure what you mean by "fix it", the book probably couldn't and definitely shouldn't get edited or rewritten, but I'd love for it to get another print run and get better known.

I also like weird cosmic stuff like it, just not in Predator or Alien stories, that are more down to earth. Not to say that there can't be any weird stuff in them, I just think that in South China Sea it went a bit too far, especially when it wasn't even so important to the story, so it felt like throwing random stuff at reader. I ultimately like black goo in Alien stories for example, but when it is used specifficly to mutating other creatures, without whole creating new ecosystems and life crap.

And I was talking about not being much Predator novels on the market right now, nnd by "fixing it" I meant that Titan should start publishing New Predator stories. They are just focusing on Alien and it got stale a little, but we don't see any Predaror novels, and for me it just felt really good reading one, it would feel that way evem if it wasn't so good.

Pocok

Pocok

Quote from: Retropocalypse on Jun 25, 2023, 05:35:32 PMTitan only purchased the rights to DH Press' Alien novels, but passed on their Predator ones.

And what it would take for them to get those rights after all these years? We (community) should push that initiation somehow!

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

First ever predator or alien novel I'm reading. Halfway through, it's really good so far.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

It gets a lot weirder but I don't feel the quality itself dips at all.

Wweyland

Wweyland

This book should at least get some mentions in other Predator EU lore, a NECA figure, or anything.
It's a bit as if it doesn't exists, and for a lot of people, it doesn't.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

This predator is clearly one I would love to see on screen even.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed