Alien Prequel No Longer An Alien Film

Started by Mike’s Monsters, Jan 14, 2011, 11:14:35 PM

Author
Alien Prequel No Longer An Alien Film (Read 118,953 times)

Valaquen

Moving on before the topic becomes a 'Cameron suxors lol' fest ... Prometheus!

ThisBethesdaSea

Okay, citing that because Camerons works are discussed in film schools (ergo making him a good writer) and his accolades for his films does not make him a good writer. I went to film school myself, and yes, the script for ALIENS was discussed as was the alien trilogy itself, but not because The script was so-called 'good' it was because it was rare that a sequel could hold its weight up against the first installment of the saga.

James Cameron is good at tricks, and utilizing the visuals to tell an impressive story. ALIENS was almost a replica of the first film in terms of pacing and some major plot points, even up to the female voiced computer count down in the end. What Cameran succeed at doing was upping the tension. Cameron has been awarded because of his technical feats, not his literary ones. Let's get our facts straight.

Valaquen

Oh, yawn. It begins. I am Nostradamus.

Gash

Gash

Back on topic..

Latest hints suggest that Prometheus was born out of Fox allowing Ridley the freedom to do the script he wants within the realm of the Alien universe.

Surely that what lots of us were hoping for?

Valaquen

Quote from: Gash on Jan 15, 2011, 04:38:27 PM
Back on topic..

Latest hints suggest that Prometheus was born out of Fox allowing Ridley the freedom to do the script he wants within the realm of the Alien universe.

Surely that what lots of us were hoping for?
I still think it'll be as related to Alien as Blade Runner is. To be overly optimistic, it could all be a red herring and we will get a loose Alien prequel. Who knows.

Le Celticant

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Jan 15, 2011, 11:50:52 AM
I can't understand the people who are actually happy about this news.

I don't think they know what they are in for, in a few years they will announce it again, with a noob director, a teen cast and it's probably going to be a straight up remake, and they will go "Remember when Ridley Scott was attached to this? And Giger? And a tremendous actress?

Mark my words.

Sequel... Prequel... whatever you want, Original remains forever.
At least I can't stop to watch ALIEN everytime I feel the need to, no matter how much sequel they made. It remained.
And Honestly: it won't bother me if the next Alien movie is a flop-teenage movie since I won't watch it in that case.

I'd rather have a Director comfortable with what he's doing and who can handle a project of his own than a company forcing to do another X time movie no matter sequel or prequel just for one big purpose: $$$$$$.

Personally, I'm happy of this news, I was afraid of this sequel Idea.
I did not like also the way FOX went in troubles with Ridley Scott a couple of times, it reminded me too much what happened on ALIEN³ and I was scared that this 'promising' project turn from cream to sh*t.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

I think there's a surprise in this somewhere. Fox can be dumb, but they're not stupid. I think this film will tie itself in with the Alien mythos in a way were not expecting. I'd bet good money well be seeing an actual alien in some form or another. This may be a different story,  but it's still gonna be a prequel of sorts. Ridley has some things in store for us methinks.

rureal38

The title Prometheus is a name taken from greek mythology. Prometheus was a titan who was credited with the creation of mankind, so I think RS is going to be making a very interesting movie.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Don't give up hope. I'm pretty sure someone else will do the prequel or a sequel to A:R one day. I really doubt Fox will call quites on a movie will earn millions of dollers, and that all of the Alien movies where box office hits. If they can still give a damn about the X-Men movies, then maybe they will do another Alien movie one day.

Valaquen

Quote from: rureal38 on Jan 15, 2011, 05:11:51 PM
The title Prometheus is a name taken from greek mythology. Prometheus was a titan who was credited with the creation of mankind, so I think RS is going to be making a very interesting movie.
He didn't create mankind, he saved them from destruction and gave them fire. Prometheus Rising - Aeschylus  ;)

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Jan 15, 2011, 05:12:06 PM
Don't give up hope.

I haven't. Todays news is just the latest in a long line of encouraging progressions.

ALEX82

so what happen whit the letter of Ridley inside de Alien Anthology???, "I hope you enjoy what i have in store for you as we return to this dark, mysterious universe filled whith Aliens, Space Jockeys and... something even more dangerous that you havent seen yet"
Consider this ultimate primer for whats to come.

so fast the concept was changed??? for my is a strong an clare reference to the uncoming and now canceled Alien Prequel.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: TheAncientEnemy on Jan 15, 2011, 03:57:02 PM
Stalker,
This film didn't KILL the Alien prequel, it is a film set in the same universe taking place before Alien. So, in essence, it is still THE OMG ALIEN PREQUEL. Luckily we might no longer have to worry about CG space jockeys flying around and exploding (which I 100% guarantee we would have gotten) and can look forward to something that is probably more in line with the feel of Blade Runner and the first half of the original Alien.

I'm glad for this. Really, Alien is the BEGINNING. Any contact with the creature previous to that distress signal robs the original of it's importance.

This will be great. It's about time for Scott to get back into this genre and to expand the Alien universe with its themes of corporate greed and grit... awesome.

Scott FTW.

Stop getting your panties in bunches. You guys constantly piss and moan about how nobody good wants the franchise anymore, AVP is crap, etc etc. Finally the FATHER of the series comes in and decides to do something artistic with the material instead of showering you with comic book goofiness and, again, the crying begins.

You guys are masochists. Often I think that this fan base deserves what it got with the AVP movies. You get to see these creatures on screen again (which I think is all some of you guys are really worried about) AND you get to whine about it when big bad Fox forced you to go see a movie in the theater that you knew was going to be trash from the get go.

Mancrush!  :laugh:

Spidey3121

I'm surprised so many people are "outraged" by this  :-\

I was never quite on the whole prequel bandwagon to begin with so i can't say that i'm all too displeased. A new film with unique ideas that takes place within the same universe... count me in!!

Valaquen

I'm sure he's said it's a "new universe".

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed