Started by ace3g, Dec 11, 2020, 12:33:01 AM

Author
Shogun (FX) (Read 4,575 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 28, 2024, 12:15:15 AMTomatometer 100% 41 Reviews

Metascore 83

But...

Quote from: Cougerboy on Feb 07, 2024, 04:22:29 AMAnd some are definitely not liking this FX adaptation.

I don't know what to think. :-\

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Really enjoyed the first two episodes, and already can't wait for next week's. Feels like real event TV.

Bet I end up reading this book pretty soon after the series ends...

Also, just realized that's Campion Sturges!

SM

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 28, 2024, 12:32:17 AM

Metascore 83

But...

Quote from: Cougerboy on Feb 07, 2024, 04:22:29 AMAnd some are definitely not liking this FX adaptation.

Needs more Allan Quartermain.

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 28, 2024, 12:32:17 AM

Metascore 83

But...

What about them? I was pointing out there will always be certain geezers complaining on some corner of the internet about how this 2024 version doesn't compare to the 1980 Richard Chamberlain version. To each their own.

But I saw the two episodes of the 2024 version, throughly enjoyed them. Granted, its been a while since I read the original book by James Clavell, but personally, I think this version more accurately reflect the book than the 1980 series. That 1980 NBC series wasn't bad for its time, but its primarily a version of the story seen through the eyes of Blackthorne, since we didn't get subtitles of the Japanese characters when they speak.

But here in the 2024 version, we got to see the Japanese characters more throughly fleshed out. In the book,  the Japanese characters weren't background characters. There are long passages devoted to Toranaga, Mariko, Yabu and Omi's internal thoughts and desires, and how that translates into how they acted in the story. We got more of that in the 2024 version since there are more scenes of the Japanese characters on their own without Blackthorne and fully subtitled.

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 27, 2024, 10:16:58 PM
Quote from: Cougerboy on Feb 23, 2024, 01:55:54 AMWho is planning to watch this series?

Cannot wait. I'm gonna wait till it's finished.

Sanada portrays Toranaga with more quiet reserve than Mifune did (so far in the series), whereas Mifune projects more presence. Although both Sanada an Mifune commands a screen charisma as Toranaga in their own way.

Ingwar

Ingwar

I absolutely don't remember original series.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I haven't seen the original series or read the novel, but if I end up liking this new series in full as much as I did the first two episodes yesterday, I'm almost certainly going to end up going back to check out both.

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 28, 2024, 12:53:36 PMI haven't seen the original series or read the novel, but if I end up liking this new series in full as much as I did the first two episodes yesterday, I'm almost certainly going to end up going back to check out both.

The novel is really really good. Some folks are put off by its sheer mass, at over 1100 pages long. But when you actually get down to read it, you don't feel it's length. Its a thrilling page-turner that keeps you wanting to go on and see what happens next. There is a reason it was a best-seller when it was first published despite the length of the novel.

Many have compared Shogun to another epic tome, Game of Thrones. And there are certainly some shared similarities in terms of the political intrigue, machinations and backstabbing as most characters in the story aren't out-right "good" or "bad" but have shades of grey, scheming to enlarge their power or just to survive.  Toranaga also face a somewhat similar predicament as Ned Stark did after the ruler of the kingdom dies. Although obviously there aren't any dragons, ice zombies or magic in Shogun. And while there is also a fair amount of sex in Shogun the novel, its not as gratuitously described as in Game of Thrones.

But more than Game of Thrones, Shogun is also about meeting of different cultures, how each see the other as the savage outsider, in this Clavell was quite perceptive in portraying the Japanese, the English Blackthrone and the Portugese as each having their own motives dealing with the other and struggling to communicate across a gaping cultural divide.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

You seem to know a lot about Shogun.

Immortan Jonesy

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=64568.0  ;)

Great first two episodes, though!

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Episode 3 preview:

Ingwar

Ingwar

Immortan Jonesy

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Can't wait to get a new episode tomorrow. 8)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Cool episode today.

Spoiler
Toranaga resigning so the regents can't impeach him – or vote on anything else  – is some four dimensional chess move.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed