What was the first Alien/Predator physical media you owned?

Started by Acid for Blood, Jan 28, 2024, 07:52:05 PM

Author
What was the first Alien/Predator physical media you owned? (Read 1,744 times)

Wweyland

Also, a cherished thing was the AvP 1999 Demo on a PC Gamer CD.
The levels were slightly different from the final game, and I played the hell out of them.

Acid for Blood

Quote from: Wweyland on Feb 08, 2024, 12:48:23 PMAlso, a cherished thing was the AvP 1999 Demo on a PC Gamer CD.
The levels were slightly different from the final game, and I played the hell out of them.

Ah I didn't have that one. But I remember getting PC Gamer with the AVP2 demo. I was so excited!  :laugh:

Wweyland

Quote from: Acid for Blood on Feb 08, 2024, 12:59:26 PM
Quote from: Wweyland on Feb 08, 2024, 12:48:23 PMAlso, a cherished thing was the AvP 1999 Demo on a PC Gamer CD.

Ah I didn't have that one. But I remember getting PC Gamer with the AVP2 demo. I was so excited!  :laugh:
Hey, its a boot! One of the lines from the demo I remember.

Severen_76

Great thread!

The first film that was ever mine was a VHS copy of Predator that my dad bought me. It was the CBS/Fox All Time Greats release. I must've watched it at least once a week for a year, and still have it in my collection. 

The first piece of merchandise was the Hicks Kenner figure. Again thanks to my dad. He took me to a local toy store and they had the whole line available, but Hicks looked the coolest.

That same day we then went to my Grandmother's house and she had recorded Aliens off like channel 5 or something. That also got into the weekly rotation too.

I've never read any of the EU or novelisations of the films but I did find Aliens Vs Predator War, and that was the first graphic novel I picked up of either franchise. Over the years I've added a bunch of the individual issues to my collection.

Gotta give my Dad huge props for introducing me to some great stuff at a young age, maybe a little too young. :laugh:

Same to my Grandmother too because she recorded so many films, and it was at her house that I first saw stuff like Total Recall, Robocop and all that 80s/90s goodness.

Acid for Blood

Quote from: Severen_76 on Feb 08, 2024, 11:32:03 PMThe first piece of merchandise was the Hicks Kenner figure. Again thanks to my dad. He took me to a local toy store and they had the whole line available, but Hicks looked the coolest.

Great memories. And good choice of Kenner! Do you still have Hicks?

Severen_76

Quote from: Acid for Blood on Feb 09, 2024, 11:12:10 AM
Quote from: Severen_76 on Feb 08, 2024, 11:32:03 PMThe first piece of merchandise was the Hicks Kenner figure. Again thanks to my dad. He took me to a local toy store and they had the whole line available, but Hicks looked the coolest.

Great memories. And good choice of Kenner! Do you still have Hicks?

Thank you.
I do actually, I kept hold of Hicks but I don't think I have many of the accessories any more.

I've added to that line since too. Picked up a Ripley, Drake and Power Loader.

Wysps

The Deadliest of the Species comic, one of the most reviled - yet close to my heart - AvP comics ever made...at least according to the internet.  I think that was the first media I actually "owned" owned.  Then after that, an Alien figurine because eons ago I was pretty into Alien. 

Local Trouble

Quote from: Wysps on Feb 09, 2024, 10:05:35 PMThe Deadliest of the Species comic, one of the most reviled - yet close to my heart - AvP comics ever made...at least according to the internet.

Can you explain it to me?  No one else will.

[cancerblack]

Prez

Quote from: Elmazalman on Jan 29, 2024, 09:02:14 AM
Quote from: SM on Jan 29, 2024, 06:12:31 AMI remember seeing one of the cars from Mad Max 3 outside a video rental in Adelaide in 1986. Can't remember the suburb though.

I saw a large buggy from the same film (MAD MAX 3), parked at a service station, just outside of the Adelaide city in 1989. Walked up to it with two schoolmates (skipped school that day) to touch it. Wasn't sure if it was a replica, or an original prop used in the film?

Hello fellow Adelaidian!  ;D

My elder brother had the original Alien VHS release (still has it) + Alien Photo Novel and Making off book back in 1979/1980.

Personally though the first thing I did by was issue 1 of Nightmare Asylum back in 1989.

Wysps

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 09, 2024, 11:55:58 PM
Quote from: Wysps on Feb 09, 2024, 10:05:35 PMThe Deadliest of the Species comic, one of the most reviled - yet close to my heart - AvP comics ever made...at least according to the internet.

Can you explain it to me?  No one else will.

LOL.  What a task.  But I think I can work on some sort of explanation/detailed summary though if you or anyone else is interested.

Gridseeker

Quote from: Acid for Blood on Feb 08, 2024, 12:15:19 PM
Quote from: Gridseeker on Feb 05, 2024, 04:51:24 AMRegarding movies, the Japanese DVD of the first two Alien movies.

Were there any memorable special features on those versions?

So far I recall, nothing remarkable, the same bonus features as the occidental first editions

Neila

my first alien VHS was a collector's item with 3 cassettes (I think it was 1992)
Alien/Aliens SE/making of Alien 3
From then on things really took off.

I bought Predator 1 and 2 when the DVDs came out.
With P2 I realized that the TV broadcast here actually contained more scenes than my DVD at the time.
King Willie's "Skull Cleansing" was missing...
It wasn't until I got the Predator 2 SE that everything was included.
Crazy...

xeno_alpha_07

The first items I owned and still own were the Aliens comics and a copy of Aliens on VHS.  I had the first two films recorded off TV.  This Aliens VHS was the first proper VHS of any of the films I first owned.  I woke up on Christmas 1992 and this VHS tape was in my Christmas stocking  ;D

Acid for Blood

Quote from: Neila on Feb 24, 2024, 10:17:51 AMI bought Predator 1 and 2 when the DVDs came out.

Did you have that nice double-pack in the slip case? (Pre SE releases)

I can't seem to remember P2 being that cut down.

Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on Feb 24, 2024, 11:15:36 AMThis Aliens VHS was the first proper VHS of any of the films I first owned.  I woke up on Christmas 1992 and this VHS tape was in my Christmas stocking  ;D

That's one cool Christmas morning  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed