Post Your Collection

Started by The Ultimate Predator, Dec 11, 2006, 04:44:31 PM

Author
Post Your Collection (Read 867,290 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: XenoZipper on Mar 16, 2016, 11:42:05 AM
Haha thanks for fixing the quote tags there! A bit rusty getting back into the forum world, got so used to Facebook I'm forgetting things haha

No worries. I tend to fix little things like that when I see them. Just have to remind myself to leave a note explaining why your post says I edited it. lol

Quote from: windebieste on Mar 16, 2016, 11:51:31 AM
Due to the high demand of the blue boxed hive play set Funko and Super 7 produced for Comic Con 2014, they released a 2nd black box edition.  I believe both are sold out. 

Yes.  Ebay is the sad, last resort for acquiring these items.

-Windebieste.

It's looking like £100+ on evil-Bay.

PRJ_since1990

PRJ_since1990

Those Hive sets look so boss but there's no way I would ever drop the money on one. Far too expensive.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'd be reasonably tempted to get one for £50ish. I was looking when they were first announced but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. lol I'm a bit of a tight-arse.

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 17, 2016, 08:44:57 AM
I'd be reasonably tempted to get one for £50ish. I was looking when they were first announced but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. lol I'm a bit of a tight-arse.

I've gotten that way too these days. It's been getting hard to justify the price tag on some items regardless how bad I want it.
I'm also a big time retro gaming nerd but even the price of those today is ridiculous & I refuse to pay the price some people
want for certain games. It's not necessary to be jacked up so much just to screw over collectors. We just want to enjoy the
things we love & bask in the merchandise haha but hard to if you don't have a very high paying job which is me :P
Hot Toys for example. Remarkable products that's for sure but sitting in the 4-500 + range for figures I mean come on.
How's the average joe supposed to be able to buy cool stuff like that? I don't own any Hot Toys by the way, I can't justify
spending that much. Too rich for my blood.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Had a few new bits arrive over the last couple of weeks.

Finally found a copy of this to go with issue #48 that I got a while ago. The articles on the effects in Alien and Aliens were actually kinda disappointing, but maybe that's just because the effects in those films has been so thoroughly covered elsewhere since. Haven't had a chance to read the rest yet.

Also got this:

Another thing I've been tempted by for a while. I actually already have the story in Aliens magazine, but most of Dorman's incredible art is missing from that version for space reasons. Also Hicks has been singing the praises of the Berserker novel and I know the Berserker suit shows up in this first, so I figured I could read it as a sort of prelude.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 18, 2016, 09:30:16 AM
http://www.aliensonline.hu/spgm/gal/Kepregeny_Boritok/Aliens_-_Rovid_Tortenetek/aliens_tribes_hardcover.jpg

Another thing I've been tempted by for a while. I actually already have the story in Aliens magazine, but most of Dorman's incredible art is missing from that version for space reasons. Also Hicks has been singing the praises of the Berserker novel and I know the Berserker suit shows up in this first, so I figured I could read it as a sort of prelude.

Good purchase! I wasn't too sure what to expect when I first read that (admittedly, I only brought it a few years ago but I'd had my eyes on it for a long time!) but I really ended up loving it. What did you get - hardcover or soft?

Quote from: XenoZipper on Mar 17, 2016, 10:29:07 AM
I've gotten that way too these days. It's been getting hard to justify the price tag on some items regardless how bad I want it.
I'm also a big time retro gaming nerd but even the price of those today is ridiculous & I refuse to pay the price some people
want for certain games. It's not necessary to be jacked up so much just to screw over collectors. We just want to enjoy the
things we love & bask in the merchandise haha but hard to if you don't have a very high paying job which is me :P
Hot Toys for example. Remarkable products that's for sure but sitting in the 4-500 + range for figures I mean come on.
How's the average joe supposed to be able to buy cool stuff like that? I don't own any Hot Toys by the way, I can't justify
spending that much. Too rich for my blood.

I always liked Hot Toys but at release they were around £200 which was still too much for me. Don't get me wrong, I love the franchise and I love buying stuff from it - but I prefer books, comics, games and what I consider to be more reasonably priced models.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 18, 2016, 09:44:03 AMGood purchase! I wasn't too sure what to expect when I first read that (admittedly, I only brought it a few years ago but I'd had my eyes on it for a long time!) but I really ended up loving it. What did you get - hardcover or soft?

Hardcover, was only a couple of quid more than the paperback.

Haven't read any of it yet but I couldn't resist a quick flick through the artwork. It's stellar.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I know, right?! I expect no less from Dorman!  ;D

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I'm seriously tempted to get Prometheus: Life and Death just for his disgustingly excellent variant cover!

future_Tarzan³

future_Tarzan³

i remember coming across those "Alien Magazines" when i was a kid in a thrift store. They are a bit more uncommon in america. So did you boys in the UK get those because dark horse was a smaller publisher at the time?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I guess maybe back in the 90s it just wasn't as easy to get American comics in the UK as it is now. Aliens magazine looked to change that by reprinting them here. It started out under another publisher but when Dark Horse set up their UK branch in 1992, Dark Horse International, they took over the magazine and it started having a whole bunch of new and exclusive content, like news and interviews and even a few original comics. The Colonial Marines Technical Manual also started out in Aliens magazine.

I know they also sold the magazine in limited quantities in the US but it was mainly meant for the UK. Unfortunately Dark Horse International went under in 1994 and the magazine went with it.

future_Tarzan³

future_Tarzan³

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 18, 2016, 01:54:36 PM
I guess maybe back in the 90s it just wasn't as easy to get American comics in the UK as it is now. Aliens magazine looked to change that by reprinting them here. It started out under another publisher but when Dark Horse set up their UK branch in 1992, Dark Horse International, they took over the magazine and it started having a whole bunch of new and exclusive content, like news and interviews and even a few original comics. The Colonial Marines Technical Manual also started out in Aliens magazine.

I know they also sold the magazine in limited quantities in the US but it was mainly meant for the UK. Unfortunately Dark Horse International went under in 1994 and the magazine went with it.

interesting! So there's some Alien Magazines with a dark horse logo ? might have to keep my eye open for those.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Yep.

Bottom left. All the Dark horse International issues have that layout, with the stripe down the left of the cover.

Try having a look here if you'd like to know more about the mag.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Holy crap - I love that cover. Is that from another series or is that exclusively for the magazine?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Exclusive. Once Dark Horse took over almost every issue had completely new cover artwork, only two or three recycled existing covers.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed