Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance

Started by RidgeTop, Sep 30, 2015, 06:29:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance (Read 194,095 times)

Russ840

I figured that's what you meant, HuDa. It makes sense.

Spoiler
it seems that the face huggers attacking her in the way out was just poor misdirection as it's been established that if impreganated, you get left alone.
[close]

Hopefully we get given a good reason but I fear it's going to be one of those details we will have to over look.

SM

SM

Spoiler
Maybe huggers don't have the same senses as a full grown adult.  Perhaps they need to actually attach themselves before finding out, then abandon that host and search for another.  You could reference the scenes in AvP where dozens of eggs open for Miller, and then again when Scar and Lex are in the hive.  Way more huggers start to emerge than there are hosts.
[close]

Russ840

Quote from: SM on Dec 21, 2016, 09:22:31 PM
Spoiler
Maybe huggers don't have the same senses as a full grown adult.  Perhaps they need to actually attach themselves before finding out, then abandon that host and search for another.  You could reference the scenes in AvP where dozens of eggs open for Miller, and then again when Scar and Lex are in the hive.  Way more huggers start to emerge than there are hosts.
[close]

Not a bad theory. 

426Buddy

Did anyone notice back in issue 5 when they find Hollis, she appears to be wearing a suit and helmet very very similar to the prometheus space suits?

I just noticed on a re-read.

Ultramorph

The Prometheus suit was a fun Easter egg!

SM

SM

Quote from: Russ840 on Dec 21, 2016, 09:39:57 PM
Quote from: SM on Dec 21, 2016, 09:22:31 PM
Spoiler
[close]

Not a bad theory.

There's a cool bit one of the drafts of Resurrection where Call is shot and falls - but not into the water.  She hits the ground and a hugger jumps on her, then detaches, probes her nostrils with its fingers, then abandons her to search for another host.

426Buddy

That would have been a pretty cool scene, way better than what we got.

Russ840

Yeah that would have been great.

Russ840

Russ840

Really enjoyed issue 8.

Once again the artist does a great job emulating Tristan's style. It is different none the less but the colourist keeps the look and atmosphere consistent.  Awesome stuff.

The aliens had a Mark A Nelson look about them in this issue.

Story is coming along. I just can't wait to get the next issue and then the hole thing collected. Re read this run three times now and can safely say, in my opinion, this is the best Aliens comic there is, only rivalled by Labyrinth and Book 2.

Ultramorph

Read #8 just now, and it's the first issue I would say is a bit of a mixed bag. Definitely not bad, but there was one decision that's a bit off-putting.

Spoiler
It's always nice to get more backstory for our characters, so the flashback to Zula's induction into the Marines was really cool.

The EVA fight with the xenos was straight out of the Rage War books, and I liked it, but if you disliked it there, you won't like it here. I just really disliked that it was a dream. That made the issue feel somewhat pointless. It's also worth remembering how Tristan mentioned how much Defiance evolved over time, and I think you can really start to see that here. The diversion to Earth feels like a new addition, maybe a way to wrap the series up sooner. I always imagine Zula and Davis going further out into the unknown.

The art was good, but I'm starting to miss Tristan Jones quite a bit.

Looking forward to the last arc, and hoping we get a "season 2" eventually.
[close]

Russ840

Quote from: Ultramorph on Dec 30, 2016, 05:52:29 PM
Read #8 just now, and it's the first issue I would say is a bit of a mixed bag. Definitely not bad, but there was one decision that's a bit off-putting.

Spoiler
It's always nice to get more backstory for our characters, so the flashback to Zula's induction into the Marines was really cool.

The EVA fight with the xenos was straight out of the Rage War books, and I liked it, but if you disliked it there, you won't like it here. I just really disliked that it was a dream. That made the issue feel somewhat pointless. It's also worth remembering how Tristan mentioned how much Defiance evolved over time, and I think you can really start to see that here. The diversion to Earth feels like a new addition, maybe a way to wrap the series up sooner. I always imagine Zula and Davis going further out into the unknown.

The art was good, but I'm starting to miss Tristan Jones quite a bit.

Looking forward to the last arc, and hoping we get a "season 2" eventually.
[close]

I am not getting a feeling of it being rushed to get the series done sooner. Was always 12 issues and still is.

Spoiler
i don't think the return to earth is new either as Extravehicular seems to have then in earths atmosphere.   
[close]
that's is just my assumption though so I could be wrong.

Spoiler
dream was a bit jarring at first but I actually quite like it.
[close]

HuDaFuK

Went to pick up #8 earlier in the week but the guy said he's not getting the next one in for another couple of weeks. Bit frustrating!

Russ840

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 03, 2017, 05:23:01 PM
Went to pick up #8 earlier in the week but the guy said he's not getting the next one in for another couple of weeks. Bit frustrating!

That suck dude, are you strictly non-digital ?

HuDaFuK

I could get it digital, but I'm not desperate enough to double-dip when I'll definitely be getting the physical copy later.

Russ840

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 03, 2017, 05:44:08 PM
I could get it digital, but I'm not desperate enough to double-dip when I'll definitely be getting the physical copy later.

Totally understandable. Will you pick up a hypothetical collected hardcover if we get it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed