How the Engineers call themselves?

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Nov 11, 2019, 05:58:22 AM

Author
How the Engineers call themselves? (Read 15,520 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Humans call them Engineers, but...

Is there any info, whether from any script or novel, that indicates how they call themselves?

SM

SM

No.

Immortan Jonesy

[cancerblack]

The new RPG unfortunately references the stupid malakak name for them:

QuoteHieroglyphic tablets unearthed on Tanaka 5 call them Ossians. The decoded Derelict beacon on LV-426 made reference to the Mala'kak.

However I kinda like "Ossians", it's just very Warhammer sounding. My preferred option is still:

Quote from: SM on Nov 11, 2019, 06:03:57 AM
No.

The Old One

The Old One

I just think of them as the book presented them, (mis) translations. We really don't know.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Nov 11, 2019, 08:04:32 PM
I just think of them as the book presented them, (mis) translations. We really don't know.

What if Ossians are the Engineers, and malakak is the biomecanoid from LV-426. I.e a different species as the RPG seems to suggest. With that in mind, the original mystery remains.

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 11, 2019, 07:48:11 PM

QuoteHieroglyphic tablets unearthed on Tanaka 5 call them Ossians. The decoded Derelict beacon on LV-426 made reference to the Mala'kak.

However I kinda like "Ossians", it's just very Warhammer sounding. My preferred option is still:

Quote from: SM on Nov 11, 2019, 06:03:57 AM
No.

Yuk! Mala'kak sound awfully like a Star Wars name. But, Ossians sounds a little better indded  :laugh:

The Old One

The Old One

Funnily enough the term "Ossian" is in KOTOR:TSL referencing a group of Jedi Librarians. But perhaps it's actually a reference to the plagiarist of 12th Century Irish poetry. The Engineers- plagiarists huh?

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Nov 12, 2019, 11:50:04 PM
Funnily enough the term "Ossian" is in KOTOR:TSL referencing a group of Jedi Librarians. But perhaps it's actually a reference to the plagiarist of 12th Century Irish poetry. The Engineers- plagiarists huh?

I just assumed it was a pun about bones, but I wouldn't put that past the type of very clever nerd who makes an RPG.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Nov 12, 2019, 11:50:04 PM

Thanks for enlightening me!  8) it would cleverly enough to fit with the 19th century literature references presented in Covenant. Also, David mentions learning of the *cough cough* Ossian *cough cough* ways  ;D

That being said, at least through the RPG one can fantasize that Engineers are cosplayers of the real deal   ;)

Corporal Hicks

I spoke to Andrew and he believed it was from here: https://alienencyclopedia.wordpress.com/ but I can't find it.

Xenopedia references them once too, but is marked as citation needed.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 13, 2019, 09:07:19 AM
I spoke to Andrew and he believed it was from here: https://alienencyclopedia.wordpress.com/ but I can't find it.

Xenopedia references them once too, but is marked as citation needed.

Nooice! I'm totally embracing the  idea of the Engineers mimicking the Jockeys. Although it could have been worse, much worse! Something like David being the Space Jockey

* Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair! *

Highland

Whats he done to his lips.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Highland on Nov 17, 2019, 01:27:45 AM
Whats he done to his lips.

Well, on the one hand that is what happens when a robot kisses another robot who is identical to him.

But on the other hand...
Spoiler
I sucks at Photoshop!  :'(
[close]

Xenomrph

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 11, 2019, 07:48:11 PM
That's hilarious, I love it. Those are the kinds of obscure references I like to see, like Mortal Kombat X's Predator referencing the Hish.

The Old One

The Old One

Of course you love it. lol
But yeah, the book treats it as one of several names.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed