Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 845,086 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Jolie basically rewrote the film from scratch with Simon West, so that's a more than fair title for it.

Russ

Russ

Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 19, 2018, 05:47:50 AM
May as well have been called Angelina Jolie:  Tomb Raider.  Is a decent time waster though.

You say this as though it's not a good thing...?  ;D

(it'll come as no surprise that I rate both Tomb Raider films)

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jan 19, 2018, 12:23:20 AM

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Jan 18, 2018, 12:58:57 PM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Jan 18, 2018, 12:53:56 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 18, 2018, 12:08:45 PM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Jan 17, 2018, 07:54:28 PMThe Last Boy Scout

"There's a new invention called the razor, use it." "Too dangerous. I might think about you and cut my wrists." :laugh:

The first two thirds of that film are absolutely stellar, possibly some of Shane Black's best writing,, but I've always thought it loses something in the final act. Ironically, Black said the same thing at a Q&A I attended.

It was completely rewritten to make it more like Die Hard, so that's not a wrong impression.

Really? typical. would love to know how the third act was originally meant to go

This describes it briefly, apparently the original ending was set on boats in the fog off the coast. That and apparently there was subplot about Milo running a snuff film operation, and Hallenback's wife would get roped into it. I could probably acquire the draft if I dug deeply enough, but one of my main script sources just moved a bunch of files to a google drive to save bandwidth, and those things are f**king pains to search.

There's a link to the script in the article lol. Will download it onto my laptop.

Its amazing they could make this film today under a different title and I'd think they'd get away with it

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The Cat O' Nine Tails

Not bad, but not top tier Argento either, IMO. And did you seriously just put the blind guy on guard duty? :laugh:

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Jan 19, 2018, 12:18:27 PM

There's a link to the script in the article lol. Will download it onto my laptop.

Its amazing they could make this film today under a different title and I'd think they'd get away with it

Well, I'm not very observant. And that's the retype that's 166 pages long. I'll have to look for a scan just to see if it's more reasonable in length.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

True Romance (1993)
Written by Tarantino (not directed).
Worth watching just for the cast: Christian Slater, Patricia Arquette, Dennis Hopper, Val Kilmer, Gary Oldman, Christopher Walken, Brad Pitt, James Gandolfini,...
Christian Slater perhaps in his best role, Patricia Arquette is an absolute doll and Christopher Walken's performance is off the charts.

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jan 17, 2018, 07:54:28 PM
The Last Boy Scout

Bruce Willis at his best imo.
This is how he should look in Death Wish. Not all clean, bald and shaved.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 18, 2018, 09:49:15 PM
Been working by way through my new RoboCop trilogy Blu-ray set this week.

RoboCop

One of the reasons why I think the year of my birth might be a contender for the best year ever for movies. Not much that needs to be said. Iconic. This is Verheoven firing on all cylinders.

That movie's so feckin' good. Just perfect.
It's also one of those movies that has the exact right amount of blood/gore. Something I consider an art.
After my most recent viewing I noticed a David Lee Roth poster or album in the music store (when the bad guys get their new guns). Little fun when you're a bit of a fan like me  ;D
Also, Red Forman.

Scorpio

Scorpio

RoboCop 3

And then there's this... I almost didn't bother watching this, but as I hadn't seen it since I was a kid I decided to put it on. F*cking terrible. It's like they actively tried to make the worst decisions possible with every aspect of it. About the only positive thing I can say is they got Poledouris back - it's great to hear his pounding soundtrack after its absence in the second movie. But it can't save what is otherwise a shit sandwich.

More hating on Robocop 3, I don't get it.  What is so bad about it?  It's less violent, yes, not in itself a bad thing.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Jan 20, 2018, 05:51:22 AMTrue Romance (1993)
Written by Tarantino (not directed).
Worth watching just for the cast: Christian Slater, Patricia Arquette, Dennis Hopper, Val Kilmer, Gary Oldman, Christopher Walken, Brad Pitt, James Gandolfini,...
Christian Slater perhaps in his best role, Patricia Arquette is an absolute doll and Christopher Walken's performance is off the charts.

That's one of my favourite films of all time. Absolutely brilliant from start to finish. By far my favourite Tarantino work, even if, as you say, he wasn't in the director's chair. The cast list is like a who's-who of all my favourite actors. The scene between Hopper and Walken is one for the ages.

The only thing that could've improved it for me would've been one final cameo from Bill Shatner as T.J. Hooker right at the end, when Slater's buddy finally gets his big acting role :)

Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 20, 2018, 09:08:52 AMMore hating on Robocop 3, I don't get it.  What is so bad about it?

The script is crap, the acting is terrible, none of the "comedy" is remotely funny, the action sequences are dull, it looks cheap, the direction is generic... It often feels like a kids' movie, which is so massively out of whack with the first two. It's not just about the violence, the entire tone is childish in comparison. But worst of all, the third one simply feels like a generic, forgettable DTV film instead of a big-budget blockbuster like the previous two films.

Scorpio

Scorpio

I don't think it's that bad.  There are worse films.  Plus Robocop has a jetpack, that's cool right. 

You think it's worse than the remake?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

The remake was a much better film, but far more bland and forgettable.

I hate both, but if I was being forced to watch one over the other, it would be the remake all day long because at least it's not actively shit.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jan 19, 2018, 09:25:22 PM
The Cat O' Nine Tails

Not bad, but not top tier Argento either, IMO. And did you seriously just put the blind guy on guard duty? :laugh:

Well, I'm not very observant. And that's the retype that's 166 pages long. I'll have to look for a scan just to see if it's more reasonable in length.

Did think it was a bit long but hopefully we can find a reasonable version yes

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Been working by way through my new RoboCop trilogy Blu-ray set this week.

RoboCop

One of the reasons why I think the year of my birth might be a contender for the best year ever for movies. Not much that needs to be said. Iconic. This is Verheoven firing on all cylinders.

RoboCop 2

Kinda reminds me of Predator 2 this, in that it's a sequel that always seems to get bashed simply because it doesn't live up to the first, but taken by itself it's a seriously entertaining action movie. There are faults - it feels overly mean-spirited at times, and the way it reverts RoboCop to a monotonous law machine when he'd largely regained his humanity by the conclusion of the first film really grates - but there's also a hell of a lot to recommend it. It does a good job of maintaining the satirical tone of the original, the action sequences are good, there's some genuinely hilarious comic touches, and the final battle with the titular RoboCop 2 is spectacular (also one of the last times a Hollywood blockbuster would utilise stop-motion effects). Great stuff.

RoboCop 3

And then there's this... I almost didn't bother watching this, but as I hadn't seen it since I was a kid I decided to put it on. F*cking terrible. It's like they actively tried to make the worst decisions possible with every aspect of it. About the only positive thing I can say is they got Poledouris back - it's great to hear his pounding soundtrack after its absence in the second movie. But it can't save what is otherwise a shit sandwich.

Oh damn 1987 ! Predator, Robocop, The Untouchables, Full Metal Jacket, Lethal Weapon, Evil Dead 2, Prince Of Darkness ! I missed that year from almost nothing... Ended up appearing in 1988, which gave me mostly Die Hard, Who Framed Roger Rabbit and They Live

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Mom and Dad (2017)
"A virus makes parents want to murder their children"
Great concept, average execution.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Jan 20, 2018, 12:38:50 PM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Jan 19, 2018, 09:25:22 PM
The Cat O' Nine Tails

Did think it was a bit long but hopefully we can find a reasonable version yes

I found the scan, but it was the same length.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Snatch (2000)
Another classic. Can't believe it's almost twenty years old.
Wish Guy Ritchie would still make movies like this. Last one's Rocknrolla from 2008.

D88M

D88M

Ghost In The Shell (2017)

Some good stuff in it like music, cinematography, and production design. Script and direction pretty forgettable and a dumbed down hollywood version of the anime.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed