Yes, all the time
No, never ever
Sometimes, here and there
Author
Comic Book Readers (Read 907,496 times)

First Blood

First Blood

Spoiler
Yeah, was not expecting Lori's death at all. Having the baby and all, I was expecting her to make it further, but that was just tragic. Nice to see the Governor get what he deserved.
[close]

Keg

Keg

The Long Halloween and Dark Victory came in the post today.

First thing that struck me was how big they both are compared to the others ive been reading. Most of them have been 150 pages at best but these are 350 plus.

Plenty to get stuck into before Hush and Heart of Hush arrive.

x2SMONEY

x2SMONEY

Yeah the Long Halloween is pretty long, as is Dark Victory. When your reading The Long Halloween though, keep an eye out for movie references, theres a ton of them in it

Keg

Keg

Finished The Long Halloween.

What a great read. Sustained the mystery all the way to the end and I certainly did not see that final twist coming at all. Wow.

I was going to hang on but Im going to get stuck straight into Dark Victory.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Just finished The Dark Knight Returns. Don't really care for the way Miller portrays Superman, like he would do anything he's asked to as long as it's someone with authority that asks him. Superman isn't above breaking the law when it comes to doing what is right. The way I see Superman, he wouldn't let himself be used as a weapon in a war.

Keg: Which Batman story would you say you like best so far?

Aeus

Aeus

Superheroes were outlawed. He wasn't going to become an outlaw, it was really the only option he had.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Aeus on Aug 08, 2011, 06:44:24 PMSuperheroes were outlawed.

Hm, completely missed that. :-[

Guess it makes a whole lot more sense then.

Aeus

Aeus

I felt the same the first time I read it, but the after a few more readings Superman's portrayal actually grew on me. It's obvious Miller prefers Batman, but he writes a good Supes.

Keg

Keg

Quote from: Laufey on Aug 08, 2011, 06:45:56 PM

I missed that too because I asked that very same question. Ill have to re-read it and take more time with it. Alot of the little news cast snippets are quite important and its easy to overlook them.

Well so far ive read:
Year One
TDKR
The Man Who Laughs / Made Of Wood
The Killing Joke
Arkham Asylum
The Long Halloween

Out of those I really couldnt say which Ive enjoyed the most. I really enjoyed Year One, The Killing Joke and The Long Halloween. I will say I preferred Year One to TDKR and that probably puts me in a minority right?

I really dont know. Im having a ball reading them anyway and I cant wait to get stuck into more. Im so new to it all (not jsut Batman but comics fullstop) so I probably dont look at them and view them the same way as somebody like Aeus would.

Im thinking of picking up Knightfall which I think comes in two volumes as I havnt seen a complete edition anywhere on the internet.

I want to try and find some trade paperbacks that involve Dicks transition into Nightwing and the start of Jason as Robin. I also want to try and find one with the start of Batgirl and the when she first becomes Oracle after The Killing Joke.

Basically im trying to find the stories with the big events that change the storylines of all future stories. Im trying to fill in the gaps for some of the bigger plot points and obviously im never going to be able to do that fully because ive started so late but id like to try.

Aeus

Aeus

The comics where 'big changes' happen are almost never very good. Especially with a character like Batman. All his best stories are fairly low on plot, but heavy on character and atmosphere - Year One, Arkham Asylum, TDKR, Killing Joke.

But if you still want to read something where the Batsaga is shaken up then buy all the volumes of No Mans Land and read them.

x2SMONEY

x2SMONEY

Quote from: Keg on Aug 08, 2011, 06:58:09 PM
Quote from: Laufey on Aug 08, 2011, 06:45:56 PM

I missed that too because I asked that very same question. Ill have to re-read it and take more time with it. Alot of the little news cast snippets are quite important and its easy to overlook them.

Well so far ive read:
Year One
TDKR
The Man Who Laughs / Made Of Wood
The Killing Joke
Arkham Asylum
The Long Halloween

Out of those I really couldnt say which Ive enjoyed the most. I really enjoyed Year One, The Killing Joke and The Long Halloween. I will say I preferred Year One to TDKR and that probably puts me in a minority right?

I really dont know. Im having a ball reading them anyway and I cant wait to get stuck into more. Im so new to it all (not jsut Batman but comics fullstop) so I probably dont look at them and view them the same way as somebody like Aeus would.

Im thinking of picking up Knightfall which I think comes in two volumes as I havnt seen a complete edition anywhere on the internet.

I want to try and find some trade paperbacks that involve Dicks transition into Nightwing and the start of Jason as Robin. I also want to try and find one with the start of Batgirl and the when she first becomes Oracle after The Killing Joke.

Basically im trying to find the stories with the big events that change the storylines of all future stories. Im trying to fill in the gaps for some of the bigger plot points and obviously im never going to be able to do that fully because ive started so late but id like to try.
Actually you preffering Year One to TDKR is pretty common. I prefer TDKR but I feel Year One is the better book.

Knightfall comes in 3 volumes, but be warned, its nothing spectacular. Still, it may be a good idea to read them before The Dark Knight Rises next year

Aeus

Aeus

I prefer Year One to TDKR. But TDKR is a much better comic.

Keg

Keg

Quote from: Aeus on Aug 08, 2011, 07:09:33 PM
The comics where 'big changes' happen are almost never very good. Especially with a character like Batman. All his best stories are fairly low on plot, but heavy on character and atmosphere - Year One, Arkham Asylum, TDKR, Killing Joke.

But if you still want to read something where the Batsaga is shaken up then buy all the volumes of No Mans Land and read them.

And ive already read those. Not everything I read is going to be brilliant or even good but I dont expect everything to be either. If theres any more you think are worthy of reading other than the obvious that ive already read feel free to suggest any.

What does No Mans Land deal with by the way?

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Keg on Aug 08, 2011, 07:26:40 PMIf theres any more you think are worthy of reading other than the obvious that ive already read feel free to suggest any.

All-Star Batman ;)

Aeus

Aeus

Quote from: Keg on Aug 08, 2011, 07:26:40 PM
And ive already read those. Not everything I read is going to be brilliant or even good but I dont expect everything to be either. If theres any more you think are worthy of reading other than the obvious that ive already read feel free to suggest any.

It's just I'm trying to save you the hassle and money of trudging through shit comics. It sucks, trust me. I would suggest any Batman by Grant Morrison. His entire run is awesome.

What does No Mans Land deal with by the way?

Earthquake f**ks up Gotham turning it into a wasteland that gets cut off from the rest of the USA. Batman struggles to hold the city together.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed