ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 398,976 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on May 01, 2016, 06:05:45 AMIt's more a coffee table book and a completely different beast.

SM is Ridley Scott. Finally we know.

SM

Xenomrph

StrangeShape

I was hesitating whether to get it due to the mixed reviews, but today I finally gave in. Im in the beginning of the book so far, but I can certainly say I dont regret it. Terrifically designed, and Locusta's images rock

426Buddy

I'll def be getting it eventually. Its just too cool not to have. :)

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 01, 2016, 05:52:33 AM
I'm really, really glad I didn't pull the trigger on the Sideshow special edition version of this book for several hundred dollars.
Christ, what a missed opportunity.

Thanks.  You just saved me $40.

Corporal Hicks

You should get the standard edition mate.

StrangeShape

This book is pretty much what Star Wars gets with their visual guides, its done in that veinband since we never had anything like it for the Alienbsaga, I think its realy great. Im very happy i got it

Local Trouble

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, that's the one.

Local Trouble

Has it been rigorously fact-checked?

Corporal Hicks

There's an odd error or two that slipped through but no more than usual for this kind of project. SM consulted on it too which I think would be a plus for yourself. It's a good book. Very nice piece.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 16, 2016, 07:36:10 PM
Has it been rigorously fact-checked?
For the most part, although there aren't a whole lot of facts for the book to mess up since a lot of the content is quoted near-verbatim from the movies.

One of the details I kinda wish had been a bit more vague was whether or not the Alien3 creature came from a dog or an ox. Like it starts out all vague and I thought that was awesome, but then by the time you get to Star Beast, you've got Morse specifically saying it was a dog, and exclusively referencing content from the theatrical cut of the movie. I think it would have been a lot more interesting to use Morse as an unreliable narrator and really play around with the notion that there are two versions of the movie, with mutually exclusive content. "Reports are inconclusive if the Alien gestated in a dog or an ox...", "Reports are inconclusive on the fate of Golic...", etc.

Edit-- one other thing while it's on my mind, I watched the youtube video of the artist drawing the APC cutaway (both the video and the artwork are super-cool) and in the making-of video, he references some schematic artwork showing things like cutaways of the tires and the functioning of the transaxle. I don't remember those schematics being in the USCM Tech Manual (although it's been a while since I paged through it), so where are they from?

SM

Original research done predominantly by Graham Langridge and John.

Xenomrph

Is it published anywhere (online or otherwise) for others to read?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed