Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2019, 05:35:38 PM

Author
Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game (Read 169,639 times)

Corporal Hicks

The colonist book has been announced!

https://freeleaguepublishing.com/en/store/?product_id=8385978663235

Quote"Space is a pitch black room—stick your hand out and you might never get it back. Of course, you also might touch god. It's a gamble either way. To not try, however, is to wither and die—only those bold and foolish enough to take a chance will change their lives."

—Captain J.V. Gorham, Far Spinward Colonies, Pioneer, Weyland Corp.

All the wonder and danger of the stars is yours—if you can just wipe the grime off your face and dig the dirt out from under your fingernails first. Airless moons circle swirling gas giants, eager to be transformed into tomorrow's paradise. Dark ancient mysteries wait to be unearthed beneath a millennium of debris. Searing solar flares boil your flesh and blacken your bones as you harness their power to light a hundred worlds. Long lost mysteries lie entombed in the frozen hearts of icy comets. Unstable tectonic plates shift to drown iridium mines in scalding lava. Even the truth of humanity's origins awaits you out there, orbiting some dying star. And out there amongst it all is something truly horrifying—something that nature never intended.

Something alien.

Building Better Worlds is a complete campaign module for the award-winning official ALIEN roleplaying game, giving you all the tools you need to run a full open-world campaign as a pioneering explorer or colonist. This book includes:

History of Colonization – the story of humanity's reach for the stars.
    Creating Explorers & Colonists – expanded character creation rules for life on the frontier.
    Gear & Ships – an extensive chapter with new gear and spaceships, gloriously illustrated.
    Extrasolar Species Catalog – new Xenomorphic creatures to encounter.
    The Lost Worlds – the framework and backstory for a frontier campaign.
    Expeditions – six thrilling expeditions into uncharted space, playable in any order.
    The Endgame – the final showdown with everything at stake.
    The Appendix – create your own frontier and colonize it.

Kailem

Glad to see this finally, officially announced! It's been a pretty lean year for content and announcements for the RPG, so it's good to see they've not completely forgotten about this in favour of their newer licenced ones like Bladerunner or The Walking Dead.

Xiggz456

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 26, 2023, 01:46:34 PMThe colonist book has been announced!

https://freeleaguepublishing.com/en/store/?product_id=8385978663235

Quote"Space is a pitch black room—stick your hand out and you might never get it back. Of course, you also might touch god. It's a gamble either way. To not try, however, is to wither and die—only those bold and foolish enough to take a chance will change their lives."

—Captain J.V. Gorham, Far Spinward Colonies, Pioneer, Weyland Corp.

All the wonder and danger of the stars is yours—if you can just wipe the grime off your face and dig the dirt out from under your fingernails first. Airless moons circle swirling gas giants, eager to be transformed into tomorrow's paradise. Dark ancient mysteries wait to be unearthed beneath a millennium of debris. Searing solar flares boil your flesh and blacken your bones as you harness their power to light a hundred worlds. Long lost mysteries lie entombed in the frozen hearts of icy comets. Unstable tectonic plates shift to drown iridium mines in scalding lava. Even the truth of humanity's origins awaits you out there, orbiting some dying star. And out there amongst it all is something truly horrifying—something that nature never intended.

Something alien.

Building Better Worlds is a complete campaign module for the award-winning official ALIEN roleplaying game, giving you all the tools you need to run a full open-world campaign as a pioneering explorer or colonist. This book includes:

History of Colonization – the story of humanity's reach for the stars.
    Creating Explorers & Colonists – expanded character creation rules for life on the frontier.
    Gear & Ships – an extensive chapter with new gear and spaceships, gloriously illustrated.
    Extrasolar Species Catalog – new Xenomorphic creatures to encounter.
    The Lost Worlds – the framework and backstory for a frontier campaign.
    Expeditions – six thrilling expeditions into uncharted space, playable in any order.
    The Endgame – the final showdown with everything at stake.
    The Appendix – create your own frontier and colonize it.

Instant pre-order! Can't wait to dig in to the new lore bits!

Slutty Badger

Obtained my PDF copy this morn!

TheBATMAN

Wow this is another impressive expansion. The detail is incredible. Looking forward to the physical release!

Slutty Badger

Coupla continuity errors:

The Concordat is stated in the Colonial Marines Operations Manual to have been the only colony ship to reach its destination, and is described as such here - but later on the Arceon is mentioned alongside it as another successful mission. So was the Concordat the only success or not?

Also, the Covenant is stated to have launched Coreward while the CMOM says it went Trailward.

Xiggz456

Just downloaded the pdf! Bout to dig in to it! 304 pages so I'll be busy but I already noticed a name drop from Destroying Angels! Also the email mentioned that the physical copy will release in Jan 2024.

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

I haven't read through the whole book yet, but here's more stuff, spoiler'd for your delectation:

First off, some complaints:

Spoiler
Remember Alien: Colony War? No? Your brain blocking it out? Well, too bad, 'cos both New Albion and "the 3WExit" are major topics here. Why? Why? Why is this book even acknowledging the single worst Alien novel in existence?

The Arcturians are also implied to be humans from a lost colony mission that adapted to Arcturus over time. So, they're not actually aliens, then? Why is this even a thing? The Arcturians were the first intelligent species officially encountered by humanity, and now they've been utterly demystified.

A lot of the vehicles and creatures are straight-up copied from earlier books, namely the CMOM and Heart of Darkness. I'm somewhat at a loss as to how this book took so long if all they had to do was copy-paste a lot of it.

Oh, and this book is loaded with spelling and continuity errors. There are literally too many for me to comfortably list them here.
[close]

That said...

Spoiler
...there is some cool stuff in here!
[close]

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Spoiler
QuoteThe Arcturians are also implied to be humans from a lost colony mission that adapted to Arcturus over time. So, they're not actually aliens, then? Why is this even a thing? The Arcturians were the first intelligent species officially encountered by humanity, and now they've been utterly demystified.
[close]
Good honestly. Better than them being proper extraterrestrials.

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Oct 07, 2023, 01:46:18 PM
Spoiler
QuoteThe Arcturians are also implied to be humans from a lost colony mission that adapted to Arcturus over time. So, they're not actually aliens, then? Why is this even a thing? The Arcturians were the first intelligent species officially encountered by humanity, and now they've been utterly demystified.
[close]
Good honestly. Better than them being proper extraterrestrials.

100% agree - the movie never implied Arcturians were anything than another colony, and somehow folk jumped all over them being another species. *cringe*

Slutty Badger

So, is it the same deal with the Arctura? Kind of an Eloi-and-Morlocks thing?

Acid_Reign161

I can't comment on what the RPG book/ expanded media is pushing, but going by the movie alone (and taking into account the time period the movie was made and its Vietnam war influences) to me personally Arcturia is just another human colony. The marines' crass comments regarding "Arcturian poontang" and "the one you had was a man" was typical non-PC /ignorant 'lad banter' that you may experience from those on tour in places such as Thailand / east Asia, where Kathoey (or 'third gender' as it is sometimes referred) is embraced - I doubt such poor-taste comments would have been allowed in the movie had it been made these days, it is a product of its time. But nothing, not one thing in the movie ever referred to Arcturians being alien. I mean, you could also read it a totally different way, taking into account the alien universe; they could be synthetic sex workers. The marine is justifying that the gender was irrelevant as it was just a machine, and not a real guy (sort of a "it's not gay if it's plastic" kind of comment) there's so many ways you *could* read into that, but absolutely zero evidence that extraterrestrials are known to humankind (which is why the Jockey and Xenomorph are such a big deal).

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Alien: River of Pain states that in Weyland-Yutani's quest to exploit and weaponize alien life, "humanity had learned so much just from their Arcturian trading partners". This, to me, implies that the Arcturians are supposed to be aliens.

Besides, the colony ship that apparently crashed on Arcturus went missing in the 2050s. There is no way in hell that humans could evolve in such a short amount of time. And where did the Arctura (NOT the Arcturians) come from? Are they human as well? Hence my "Eloi-and-Morlocks" question above.

BlueMarsalis79

Spoiler
f**k River of Pain.
[close]

Maybe the planet itself altered them, if it is indeed covered in Engineer Ruins, who knows? 

TheBATMAN

For me one of the appealing things about the Alien universe is just how it treats space as one big empty void. This isnt Star Trek with multiple different species running round. I like the idea that the xeno and by extension The Engineers are the only things out there.

Im not defending Colony War but im starting to wonder if things like 3WEXIT are an RPG thing these authors are made to put in thier books given how much they are now crossing over.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed