Alien 3
8 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author
Aliens vs. Alien 3 (Read 9,102 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Hey fellow sci-fi aficionados!

I've been on a Ridley Scott and James Cameron marathon lately, revisiting the iconic "Alien" franchise, and I've hit a bit of a snag. I just finished watching "Aliens" and "Alien 3," and I'm curious about the community's take on these two.

It's no secret that "Aliens," directed by Cameron, is often celebrated for its intense action and the depth it adds to the Alien universe. Cameron's expansion on Scott's horror-centric original has made it a standout sequel that many consider equal to, if not better than, the first.

On the flip side, we have "Alien 3," which seems to have garnered a less enthusiastic response, to put it mildly. It's often pegged as the black sheep of the series, with fans and critics alike viewing it as a step down from the lofty heights reached by its predecessor.

So, what's the verdict? Does "Aliens" hold the championship belt for combining horror and action into a seamless experience? Or is there a case to be made for "Alien 3," perhaps as an underrated gem that deserves a reevaluation?

I'm eager to hear your thoughts, insights, and personal rankings. Is "Aliens" the definitive experience, or does "Alien 3" have its own merits that might be overshadowed by its reputation?

Let the interstellar debate begin!

Best,

ChatGPT

kwisatz

kwisatz

I'm not feeling well.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Tied vote.  :laugh:

thomasmariel33

thomasmariel33

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 04, 2023, 07:07:11 PMHey fellow sci-fi aficionados!

I've been on a Ridley Scott and James Cameron marathon lately, revisiting the iconic "Alien" franchise, and I've hit a bit of a snag. I just finished watching "Aliens" and "Alien 3," and I'm curious about the community's take on these two.

It's no secret that "Aliens," directed by Cameron, is often celebrated for its intense action and the depth it adds to the Alien universe. Cameron's expansion on Scott's horror-centric original has made it a standout sequel that many consider equal to, if not better than, the first.

On the flip side, we have "Alien 3," which seems to have garnered a less enthusiastic response, to put it mildly. It's often pegged as the black sheep of the series, with fans and critics alike viewing it as a step down from the lofty heights reached by its predecessor.

So, what's the verdict? Does "Aliens" hold the championship belt for combining horror and action into a seamless experience? Or is there a case to be made for "Alien 3," perhaps as an underrated gem that deserves a reevaluation?

I'm eager to hear your thoughts, insights, and personal rankings. Is "Aliens" the definitive experience, or does "Alien 3" have its own merits that might be overshadowed by its reputation?

Let the interstellar debate begin!

Best,

ChatGPT

Alien 3 has the actual. It has the moment of life flashing before one's eyes. Aliens, though a moment to moment film, is the irony of not being an ally of Alien 3.

ralfy

ralfy

They can't be compared to each other because they use different subgenres, and they need to because they can't repeat what happened in the previous movie.

The first movie uses horror based on suspense: the creature appears fully only at the end.

The second movie could not repeat that for obvious reasons so it uses action, and involving more than one alien.

The third movie couldn't do both so it uses a procedural--how to capture and kill the creature--with one subplot likely intended to end the franchise.

Similar happened to the fourth movie, which pits several human groups against each other amidst multiple aliens, with political intrigue as a context.

Also, the prequels, which have cosmology as a pretext and then rehash stories, appearances, etc., from the previous movies to reboot the franchise, i.e., given the assumption that most young viewers had never seen the older movies, then they can focus on these while franchise owners can also re-imagine, remake, etc., the older movies.

Meanwhile, the new movie might use teens with drama, etc., and the TV show focusing on human groups contending with each other while facing AI, both bioweapons and mechs, and the aliens serving as a background.

SM

SM

Of course they can be compared. One is well constructed with one dude calling the shots and the other was made by committee and suffers for it.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Alien 3 is an under-appreciated masterpiece that somehow went through so much turmoil/production issues, is disowned by its own director, and yet still easily takes trophy as second best movie in the franchise after 'Alien' (imo). It's like if DaVinci took over someone else's painting half way, someone spilled paint all over it, and it still ends up being one of the finest art pieces ever created, yet somehow doesn't catch the eye of the masses, being revered only by those who truly take in its magnificence whilst acknowledging its flaws but accepting that it's no less great because of them.

Aliens is absolutely fantastic, and one of my most watched movies of all time,  but makes the alien feel less threatening by portraying them as mindless drones, which is why the movie takes 3rd place after Alien and Alien 3 for me personally.

SiL

SiL

One is a good movie I enjoy. One is a messy film I enjoy.

Stitch

Stitch

I don't know how I should vote. Alien 3 is my favourite of the series, but Aliens is a better film.

S.E.B.

S.E.B.

This thread, Local Trouble - you finally did it!

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Nov 05, 2023, 12:09:21 AMone of the finest art pieces ever created, yet somehow doesn't catch the eye of the masses,
Because it is but no stretch one of the finest pieces of art ever created.
Quote from: thomasmariel33 on Nov 04, 2023, 10:42:27 PMAlien 3 has the actual. It has the moment of life flashing before one's eyes. Aliens, though a moment to moment film, is the irony of not being an ally of Alien 3.
You're not even trying to make sense anymore.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: S.E.B. on Nov 05, 2023, 02:12:15 AMThis thread, Local Trouble - you finally did it!

Is this you right now?

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Is Alien³ more messy than good?

No it is literally everyone else in existence, (for the most part) who is wrong, but mostly unironically.

littlesprout

littlesprout

I've actually come to appreciate Alien 3 but I would like to have seen what it could have been if it didn't have such a messy preproduction and clearer direction. Either way it is not a bad film, just not the route I preferred but what does that matter.

SM

SM

Alien 3 is not by any measure a masterpiece, under appreciated or appreciated or any other kind of reciated.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed