The Predator Novelization

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 06, 2017, 07:10:35 AM

Author
The Predator Novelization (Read 12,390 times)

Trevelyan

Trevelyan

Guys, I apologize but I didn't see this forum before posting my review under the movie forum. 

Sorry for those as anxious for the novelization as I was, but it's a huge let down. 

Spoiler
If you were anything like me,  you wanted to understand more regarding:
Predator Motivation / Perspective
Additional character background (Traeger, Loonies, etc)
Supplementary Action/ Deleted Scenes (Extended fight scenes, consulting allied predators, etc)
Insight into the "predator killer"

Well, I can tell you that you won't find any of the above with the exception of the deleted scene with the sex offender and Traeger's speech regarding acquisition.  The Loonies are given less material than the F-22 pilot and radar technician.  The action is horribly-defined as well...the Fugitive vs. Upgrade is mostly "off-page".  Even more infuriating is, since the "predator killer" is omitted from the book and there is less than one chapter from the Fugitive's perspective, the storyline makes even less sense. 

Even more frustrating is that the prequel novel (vastly superior to the novelization) does not tie into The Predator at all except to give background on Traeger.  The tie in of having 2 predators escape custody from the same location is just...yeah I'm out of words.
[close]

Save your money on this one guys but I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

Quote from: EJA on Sep 19, 2018, 10:00:30 AM
So the book never explains what Fugitive was bringing to Earth?

Spoiler
Nope...very poorly written.  I'll read it again for additional insight but the book reads like an unfinished script which is quite appropriate and understandable considering the resulting film.
[close]

felix

felix

Does the line "Come and get us Mother..." appear in the book?

Trevelyan

Trevelyan

Quote from: felix on Sep 20, 2018, 02:26:18 AM
Does the line "Come and get us Mother..." appear in the book?

sigh, yes, it's the ending scene

felix

felix

I was at the Titan Books facebook page and a poster asked if Titan had any plans to publish the Predator/Predator 2 novelization.

Here was their reply.

"Our Predator publishing program is ongoing, however we haven't got any confirmed titles that we can talk about at this time."

HybridNewborn

HybridNewborn

Quote from: felix on Sep 20, 2018, 05:15:44 AM
I was at the Titan Books facebook page and a poster asked if Titan had any plans to publish the Predator/Predator 2 novelization.

Here was their reply.

"Our Predator publishing program is ongoing, however we haven't got any confirmed titles that we can talk about at this time."

That's unfortunate. I've been holding off on buying used copies of those in the hopes that Titan will republish them...

Or at least republish the second one and give us a Predator novelization that actually reflects the film.

felix

felix

At least there's still hope. They did say their Predator publishing programs is still on going.

Hopefully we''l get  the Predator/Predator 2 novelizations in the future. For me i am hoping for another Predator Omnibus including South China Sea.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Predator 2 novelisation really deserves a reprint.

The Old One

The Old One

I don't see the point in Omnibus' tbh, I just want the good ones.

Wweyland

Wweyland

The DH Press ones are really hard to acquire though. A reprint or omnibus would be great.
I really loved the Prequel novel and will receive the movie novelization soon.

Trevelyan

Trevelyan

Quote from: Wweyland on Sep 20, 2018, 07:26:07 PM
The DH Press ones are really hard to acquire though. A reprint or omnibus would be great.
I really loved the Prequel novel and will receive the movie novelization soon.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on how the Prequel transitions into the film / Novelization.

Quite honestly I felt that there was no connection whatsoever, except to introduce Stargazer and Traeger.  However, the events of the prequel appear to have had no impact on the film / novelization.  I personally found many continuity issues.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

After a week of not really being in the mood to continue reading, I did another 100 pages over the weekend. Unfortunately it doesn't expand on the Predator side of things so far but it does fill in some of the gaps on the human side.

The Old One

The Old One

From all reports, as the film- I won't be picking up this one.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

I just finished this. There were a few minor plot holes filled and a few scenes that differed from the film. Very few Predator dispositions which is disappointing. Characterization was also kind of lacking as I felt the film did a better job of making me care for the characters. Now I'm just looking forward to the next 3 issues of Hunters 2!

Trevelyan

Trevelyan

Was anyone else bothered that the whole motivation for the fugitive and upgrade wasn't explained in the novel?

Samhain13

Samhain13

For those who read this:

Is the Upgrade described the same way as the movie? Genetically modified 10 foot tall predator?

Is autism still referred as the next step on human evolution?

Is global warming and predators wanting to invade Earth mentioned the same way as the movie?

Is it ever said that the Fugitive brought a gift to humanity?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed