Depression, Anxiety, and Mood Disorders

Started by LastSurvivor92, Apr 12, 2014, 08:41:08 AM

Author
Depression, Anxiety, and Mood Disorders (Read 77,175 times)

Kimarhi

You don't want to go through basic training/OCS with anything less than perfect mental health. 

That shit is meant to be rough and will seem much rougher than what it is if your already hurting mentally.

Not saying she shouldn't do it, just needs to get the help she needs to get first. 

The military is an institution.  It'll be around as long as the US is around.  It isn't going anywhere. 

Cal427eb

Quote from: Chronicle on Oct 02, 2014, 03:30:28 AM
Quote from: Topazora on Sep 28, 2014, 03:57:23 AM
I really need a place to speak my mind about my depression, and this place seems like the place to do it, since no one I know personally, looks at this site.  Forgive me, I've had several glasses of wine, but I'm still coherent.  I've been dealing with depression for a long time, mostly from the feeling of worthlessness.  Like I didn't mean anything to the world and anything I had to offer was unwanted.  I was getting better, but the early death of one our cats, because of my carelessness, put me back down into a deep depression.  I know I shouldn't feel this way about an animal, but I can't help it- that cat was still part of the family, had a lot of love to give, had a soul and was strong and healthy.  I work for Lyft, and while I was out, he got a hold of one of my beading needles and thread and swallowed it.  We got the thread and needle out, but the needle made it into his brain, and even though the vet got it out, it caused an infection and that's what took his life.  That's just a recent story to my depression.  I do get thoughts of wanting to kill myself- but too cowardly to do it on my own.  My strength comes from the fact that I am spiritual and I believe that I will see my kitty when I too pass.  I hope that by joining the military, it will give me structure and purpose, and I will feel like I am worthwhile, that my life is worth something.  That I'm not just some parasite.  I don't want to hurt my family and friends, I know they love me- so to kill myself would only hurt them.  I don't think that suicide is a sin, and I don't think that God is so merciless that He would send someone to hell for suicide.  But that is my belief.  I just don't want to hurt my family.  I hate being in this dark place.
I apologize for putting on you guys.  I needed to pour my heart out and if anyone, close to me, saw this, I know I would never hear the end of it.  I just needed to say this to strangers.  No I don't need medication or to see a professional.  I need something that will give meaning to my life and help me move on from the fact that I accidentally killed an amazing and loving cat.  Again, I'm sorry.  I am going through a very hard time and I don't know how to deal with it.
I don't blame you if you don't respond, but I am depressed and I'm trying to work through it.  I'll probably regret it in the morning, like most people regret over drinking when they wake up in the morning.  Funny, my skin feels very numb... I'll just take some advil PM when I go to bed.  Anyway, thanks for giving me an outlet to speak my troubled mind.  I hope I'll heal eventually.

Wish you the best man. I think the military would be good for you. Suicide is never the answer man and your life is precious. You only got one and try to live it up. Keep fighting the depression man. You'll get through it.
Stop giving shitty advice. You're going to make him want to kill himself.

Aspie

Topa is a girl

Cal427eb

PFFFFFFFT, there's no girls on the internet.

tavianini19

tavianini19

Quote from: Cal427eb on Oct 02, 2014, 04:32:18 AM
PFFFFFFFT, there's no girls on the internet.

Cal427eb

AND YOU EXPECT ME TO BELIEVE YOU'RE FROM MORDOR?!

tavianini19

tavianini19

Haha ok ok.

Xeno Killer 2179

http://ki.se/en/news/how-physical-exercise-protects-the-brain-from-stress-induced-depression

I admit it gave me great pleasure when I complained about Risperidone and then only a few months later law suit commercials started blasting left and right about it.

Now if people could only be properly informed on a large scale about how poor an option antidepressants are for treating depression.

SM

SM

They are one part of the solution.  Not cure-alls.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SM on Oct 03, 2014, 08:30:40 PM

Can be one part of the solution. In addition to having to find the right one for the right person, some people simply don't respond well to any of the commercial medications. People should still try of course, rather than avoiding meds after a single bad experience.

Xeno Killer 2179

Xeno Killer 2179

Quote from: SM on Oct 03, 2014, 08:30:40 PM
Ideally their current incarnation isn't even in the picture.

My old thinking was that the pharmaceutical conglomerates are exploiting the dark corner that is public knowledge of mental illness, and that medication is only mildly effective but carries alarming side effects (that are strangely not talked about), in which case people and their children are not being treated, but preyed upon.

Additionally, I thought the issue was being further compounded by it being culturally and socially in-grained such that public opinion is generally that medication is a first-line treatment or that an SSRI prescription is in some way comparable to getting a flu shot, when really it's just greed being concealed by the wide spread and largely un-conscious naivety that science can only be used for good, or the tendency for people to be stubborn to change because they won't admit they've been lead astray when everything points to it. I also make honorable mention that the educated know the uneducated will eat up everything they say.

But then I decided the source of the problem is the subtle and ongoing encouragement of helplessness, and that fixing this would be the equivalent of taking down the mothership of first world oppression.

And no, I'm not bashing people with severe depression, I'm bashing both the people that pretend to be the authority on diagnosing and treating human suffering, and the people that never make an effort to become skilled in finding good information, so when they do become severely depressed, they have no course of action but to gamble with their own quality of life and step into the impersonal meat grinder described above.

Cvalda

I wish I had a nickle for every time you used the words "I", "I'm" or "My".

BANE

Quote from: Cvalda on Oct 03, 2014, 10:21:00 PM
There's 25 cents right there...

Cal427eb

Quote from: BANE on Oct 03, 2014, 10:22:03 PM
Quote from: Cvalda on Oct 03, 2014, 10:21:00 PM
There's 25 cents right there...
That's half a can of soda.

Cvalda

Cans of soda don't cost fifty cents anymore, this ain't 1993.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed